Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #1

Confused on the entry step

I'm putting my Georgetown in storage and I'm trying to get my entry step to stay in after disconnecting the house batteries. I can not seem to get the steps correct in making this happen. Maybe I should't worry about this but I don't want someone parking next to me to hit the entry step so I would prefer to have it stay in but it doesn't seem to want to do this after I have disconnected the batteries which I know I need to do when storing the RV.

Can anyone explain the correct procedure? I know I need to engage the entry step switch but when I do this and disconnect the battery, it still stays out.

Thanks in advance.
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #2

If I can explain this correctly. ....it will work
shut the screen first
Reach in through the slide handle and switch off the battery disconnect
Close the main door

Hopefully I explained that correctly

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

georgetown50......

Your signature doesn't mention what model of rig you have.

CSMRetired....

Your procedure does not work for everyone depending on the location of the switch for the battery disconnect, and it's proximity to the door. Mine for example is too far away to reach through the opening for the slide handle.

The solution for everyone's rig, (with both doors open) is to place a magnet near where the magnetic sensor is for the part on the screen door inside the step well. This should "fool" the steps into thinking the screen door is closed, and retract the steps. Then removal of the house batteries can be completed.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #4

Interesting dilemma, even when I disconnect the battery, my Step still works. I think mine is either wired before the disconnect or it is wired to the starting battery.

In my case my step will NOT stay out if the battery disconnect is pressed even if the switch is set to do so.

What model coach do you have?
Old 11-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #5

So, clarification question....if you are inside the coach with the door closed, and you hit the battery disconnect, what happens when you open the door?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
So, clarification question....if you are inside the coach with the door closed, and you hit the battery disconnect, what happens when you open the door?
Lawyers earn their pay.

I did a search on "magnet"...enjoy.
Forest River Forums - Search Results

I didn't use the magnet method,
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eps-55666.html

ab&jb
Old 11-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #7

I have 2 circuits that are not connected through the battery disconnect - lb detector and steps. If I have the power off (a/c unplugged) and the step control in the correct position, my steps will retract.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
georgetown50......

Your signature doesn't mention what model of rig you have.

CSMRetired....

Your procedure does not work for everyone depending on the location of the switch for the battery disconnect, and it's proximity to the door. Mine for example is too far away to reach through the opening for the slide handle.

The solution for everyone's rig, (with both doors open) is to place a magnet near where the magnetic sensor is for the part on the screen door inside the step well. This should "fool" the steps into thinking the screen door is closed, and retract the steps. Then removal of the house batteries can be completed.
X2
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post
I have 2 circuits that are not connected through the battery disconnect - lb detector and steps. If I have the power off (a/c unplugged) and the step control in the correct position, my steps will retract.
My steps will retract when I turn on ignition key regardless of batty disconnect and will always deploy when door is opened. Assume it's a safety thing to stop dummies like me from driving off with steps deployed or stepping into thin air.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Interesting dilemma, even when I disconnect the battery, my Step still works. I think mine is either wired before the disconnect or it is wired to the starting battery.

In my case my step will NOT stay out if the battery disconnect is pressed even if the switch is set to do so.

I have the Georgetown 378.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #11

Quote:

Old 11-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
If I can explain this correctly. ....it will work
shut the screen first
Reach in through the slide handle and switch off the battery disconnect
Close the main door

Hopefully I explained that correctly
I understand what you are saying but I think you may have left out the Entry Step switch. Don't you have to turn that switch up before you disconnect the battery?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
My steps will retract when I turn on ignition key regardless of batty disconnect and will always deploy when door is opened. Assume it's a safety thing to stop dummies like me from driving off with steps deployed or stepping into thin air.

Bill
Yes, it is a safety precaution. 90% of the time, having the steps out once parked makes perfect sense. But I will have my rig in a storage facility where someone could back up right next to my RV. I don't want to take the chance of them hitting the entry step while backing up.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown50 View Post
Yes, it is a safety precaution. 90% of the time, having the steps out once parked makes perfect sense. But I will have my rig in a storage facility where someone could back up right next to my RV. I don't want to take the chance of them hitting the entry step while backing up.
When you say "Disconnect the battery" are you referring to using the battery disconnect switch, or actually removing the terminals from the battery post.

As mentioned earlier, My steps continue to extend and retract even when the battery disconnect switch is engaged(disconnected). so when I disconnect using the switch, my steps still retract when the door is closed.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
On my 378 with the Lippert steps it would do what you say and I would use the magnet or reach in through the screen door to turn of the disconnect. After Forest River put on the Kwikee steps and the new magnet I can turn off the battery disconnect and close the door and the steps go in.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #16
WDK

Simply take the magnet off the screen door, place it next to the sensor with a piece of good tape. The steps will retract. You can then kill the power. I do that as well when I store mine as if someone does park next to me my steps will open and perhaps hit their rig.....if that situation were to happen....I just open the door as much as needed to get inside....start it up...pull my coach out to clear any obstruction and pull the magnet from the sensor after turning the batteries on. The steps will extend....I put the magnet back on the screen door and all is normal again.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #17

I have had the steps on my rig do whatever they want - when they want. I've had to go so far as to disconnect the motor on the steps to keep them down while camping because no matter what I tried, they would always retract when the door was shut. Have had a Rv dealer check it out twice, of course they work normal then! When storing, I have to reach in thru screen door, trip disconnect switch and then close the main door.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
I have had the steps on my rig do whatever they want - when they want. I've had to go so far as to disconnect the motor on the steps to keep them down while camping because no matter what I tried, they would always retract when the door was shut. Have had a Rv dealer check it out twice, of course they work normal then! When storing, I have to reach in thru screen door, trip disconnect switch and then close the main door.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty

Sound like the screen door magnet isn't strong enough or the screen door moves a little and opens the contacts and the steps will go out.
It's just a basic switch on the screen door.
It also comes in when the engines is started.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
If you have the Lippert steps and are wired correctly then the step power switch (not coach disconnect switch) is only for retracting the steps when set to on (should be off when camping to keep steps out with door closed). I think I read where the Kwikee step power switch does just the opposite when set to on. Both step systems however will retract with ignition switch whether step power switch is on or off.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #20

Assuming your batteries are under the steps like most GT's what I do (just Tuesday) is loosening the nuts on the negative battery terminal, go inside the RV and close the door. Steps are retracted, I just reach down and take off the negative wire. No battery power, no moving steps. Open door, jump out and continue to remove batteries.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse