Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Considering purchase of the GeorgeTown 335,

Have been researching upgrading to a motor home both class C and A. Just two in our family plus pets, Wife likes both, but is leaning to forester 2861. I like the 335 floor plan. What's the opinion out there. I have never driven a class A. Currently have a rockwood 8285ws. One thing I like to do is do so
E virtual camping when looking at a new model, I could see where I could connect my satellite dish to the tv all the cabinets are so small, anybody have a 335? What's your experiences been?

2018 Forester 3011DS
2011 Rockwood 8285WS (The Mobile Cabin) traded
2004 F350 SuperCab 6.0TD DRW (Mr. Duals) sold
kijak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #2

Hello Kijak.
We started our summer with a fairly decent size class c 32 foot Jayco Greyhawk for my wife and I and pets. Even with two slide outs we found it cramped and confining. It drove great but the poor dog was sleeping in the hall near the bird cage. The front cabin below the overhang doesn't give you much useful room except for children sleeping if you have them.

We immediately purchased a Georgetown XL wit 378 floorplan we are still waiting delivery. I think the usable space and configuration of a class a is what makes them more attractive for familes esp with pets. Just my opinion but maybe you can save your self some money by buying the bigger unit initially and not feel cramped later.
I guess we will learn to drive them either way. Good luck.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #3

I am also awaiting delivery of a Georgetown 378 XL on friday. We had a fifth wheel that was roomy enough for my wife and I and the two pets but wanted a motorhome. The 378 XL seems like it will also work for us, will let you know after we pick it up.
XL 378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #4

The wait is driving me crazy. Patience is not my virtue. XL be sure to tell us all about it when it arrives and be sure to do a very extensive PDI. There is so much to cover. The living area looked huge on the demo.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #5

I will let you know, talk later.
XL 378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan JS View Post
The wait is driving me crazy. Patience is not my virtue. XL be sure to tell us all about it when it arrives and be sure to do a very extensive PDI. There is so much to cover. The living area looked huge on the demo.
Yes the livingroom is huge in the XL 378TS
Don't forget the 4 door refrigerator with ice make!
The ceiling is so high my DW can't adjust the ceiling vents. LOL
This is some great pictures the dealer had. This is almost like mine but I have the real hide-a-bed and the cabinet above the entry door
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81557ffd52_640.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	17284   Click image for larger version

Name:	296578ba9f_640.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	17285   Click image for larger version

Name:	c4ee00e238_640.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	17286   Click image for larger version

Name:	vp2527057_12.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	17287  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #7

Thanks all, the DW is leaning toward the Outside Kitchen options, Having a tough time finding more then a handfull, Forester, Coachman, Jayco. they all have something to look at, but a big loss of inside space...

2018 Forester 3011DS
2011 Rockwood 8285WS (The Mobile Cabin) traded
2004 F350 SuperCab 6.0TD DRW (Mr. Duals) sold
kijak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #8

We struggled between the class c and class a.

A has more storage underneath and the driver/ passenger seats on the same level give a bigger feel to the living area. A loses the over driver area bunk.

We chose the A but miss that bed over the drivers seat, a bed that doesn't have to be converted every night. also miss the U shaped dinette, not available in the Georgetown bunk model (why wouldn't they have the larger dinette with bunks- a model probably purchased with kids in mind??) And we didn't get the shower tub, which would be very very handy (again I do not understand that kid friendly item, a tub, not being available on a unit with bunks.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
Anacortesians

Jack:

We bought an '02 Georgetown 325 a couple of years ago. It's on the Ford F53 chassis with the V-10 engine. We recognise that GT isn't in the Rolls-Royce quality bracket and there are some things that make you think "why the hell did they design it like that?"

My main complaint is the quality of the cabinetry, which is what FR built. It looks pretty, but beneath the skin, most of the the "oak" is actually hemlock with a stick-on veneer.

Also the slide-out seals aren't particularly good. We've had a major water leak into the cabinets above the dinette slide, due to the blade seal rolling over. That's fixed and new cabinets are in (home made).

I still have a similar problem with the bottom slide seal in the bedroom. I'll be sticking it back on the wall with 3M weatherstip adhesive and spraying the bottom of the slide with dry molylube.

Other than those issues, we like our rig. We didn't get it until late June the first year, so we missed out on the start of the season. Last year, both DW and I had medical problems that limited our options to travel. This year, we've got family coming from England and Japan for a reunion, so we won't have an opportunity to get out on the road until the second week of September. We hope to get maybe three weeks out before the weather turns bad.

Bottom line - don't expect Holiday Rambler quality at the Georgetown price, but they're not bad value if you look after them and keep them a while.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #10

If someone is looking for a pull down bunk over the driver seats, the Georgetown 329 has that option. This is the value model versus the XL but many of the features are the same and you get a heck of a rig for under 80K brand new.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
Jack:

We bought an '02 Georgetown 325 a couple of years ago. It's on the Ford F53 chassis with the V-10 engine. We recognise that GT isn't in the Rolls-Royce quality bracket and there are some things that make you think "why the hell did they design it like that?"

My main complaint is the quality of the cabinetry, which is what FR built. It looks pretty, but beneath the skin, most of the the "oak" is actually hemlock with a stick-on veneer.

Other than those issues, we like our rig. We didn't get it until late June the first year, so we missed out on the start of the season.

Bottom line - don't expect Holiday Rambler quality at the Georgetown price, but they're not bad value if you look after them and keep them a while.
Great points about pretty to look at.... I don't think any are really made for day in, day out abuse. Treated delicately they hopefully will give many years of fun.
I didn't know hemlock was used for cabinets. I only thought it was an ancient poison. See what I learned from a Forest River forum.

We are anxiously planning a few trips for Sept to the eastern seaboard and realize that anything after October has to remain in Florida due to weather concerns.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012