Old 10-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #11

Thanks bigben...we have been doing mostly internet shopping due to the lack of dealers in our area. We have attended RV shows in the past and plan on attending the Pittsburgh RV show in Jan. We hope to order it shortly thereafter, so we can hopefully have it around the first of April.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #12

Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watertown View Post
Please dont just look at your local dealer! I expanded my search and found a 351ds with 90% of what I wanted for lots less than anyone near me would have done. If certain options are non-negotiable expand your dealer search and you will be rewarded. Being military I dont have a "home" area and have read and seen enough that rv dealers are only in it until you sign, then you are just another nuisance to them. If you have any mechanical abilities you can handle 99% of things that gonwrong with your rv. I am sure many will disagree with me but that is just nature of posts on sites like this. Good luck.
I did exactly this. THEN i went to my fairly local dealer - 45 miles away - and made virtually the same deal as what I was going to make 200 miles away. While most items are fixable, RVs being RVs, there will issue that are covered by the warranty. Trying to get another Flagstaff dealer to do repair work on a unit they didn't sell is easy BUT customers that purchased from the local dealer will always get priority. The fuel cost alone for a 400 mile trip vs a 90 mile trip about $125.

So best advise - know your numbers. Shop Shop Shop.

Not sure what service your in Watertown, but I'd guess US Army at Ft Drum. The retirement I mention earlier was US Army - had no "home" for 22 years. Great life. And thank you for your service.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #13

Suggest you look at the inventory on MHSRV.com.
They have 15 pretty well loaded 351's at $89 to 92k.
This should give you a good idea of what is possible price wise with the features you want. You may not get that low locally...but you should get close or at least 25% off list. Here's one at 33% off list.
#9067 - 2015 Forest River Georgetown 351DS Bunk Model W/Res Fridge, 5 TV, for sale in Alvarado TX
The TAMPA show in January is huge and you can see everything there and Lazydays always has a big selection of Georgetowns and XL's.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #14

MSRP?

Spot on for the % discount of MSRP. I look for 30% off sticker and you can definitely get that. Then all you need to do is pay attention to the adders that virtually everyone of the dealers will add.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:49 PM   #15

love our 351DS!

I would recommend the bigger AC units (you'll have to special order if you want both upgraded, standard is to only upgrade the back one usually)

Euro chair - much better for when you are parked, but you do lose 1 seat belted space (you will still have 6, 2 front, 2 couch, 2 dinette)

We have the overhead bunk -we don't actually have any children, but the nieces and nephews think it's the bomb and they use it and the bunks both (when we let them)

Fantastic fans for sure, we had the one added in the bathroom later because I hated the standard one.....! Its' nice because you can leave them open for airflow even while traveling and in rough weather.

No outside TV, we decided it wasn't something we'd use very often. we did get the home theater....the radio stinks, and you can't hear much while you are driving (the 4 speakers are in the ceiling of the main area, nothing in the cab) but it's OK when you are parked. we are going to upgrade it over the winter however and add some additional speakers in the cab area.

We do have the heat strips, they are helpful when it's chilly but you don't want to use the furnace.....they are noisy however, because they are in the AC units and the blowers are very loud, just like the AC. Sometimes we use a tower space heater if we want it to be quieter.

Good luck in your shopping - please ask more questions if you have them - we found this forum to be very useful in our purchasing and after!

Garren
Old 10-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #16

I agree with all said previously, Shop, Shop, Shop....I search the internet, mostly rvtrader.com to find the options I wanted and the price I was looking for.

I lucked out, because I live in the Tampa area, I was able to take the best price I found to LazyDays and got them to match the price within a few hundred dollars.

From my prospective the extra I paid at Lazydays I would have spent traveling to pick up the RV from TX or Illinois, where found the lowest prices.

For folks that purchase from LazyDays that are out of town, they do have a Fly & Drive program where they will fly you down and you drive your RV home. Not sure how that affects the price, but I am sure everything is negotiable.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #17

Check out RVONE online. They have stores in Buffalo and Albany, NY, Des Moines Iowa and a couple in Florida. What they do nice is post online the MSRP directly off of Forest River's invoice, not some fancy looking price sheet many RV dealers use. Deduct the freight shown, deduct about 36% the net list price, add the freight back on and figure in a profit for the dealer, say $1500 to $2000 (they do have huge overhead and should make something reasonable). Good Luck shopping!
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #18

Thank you to all that have replied so far. Your input is very helpful and encouraging. I guess I have some researching to do over the weekend now with the suggested dealer websites. On the same note, if anyone would happen to know of any other dealers in and around Pittsburgh, besides Clems, let me know. Thanks again!
Old 10-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #19

A number of them in Ohio

Us RVTrader and broaden your search. Bet you find several in Ohio. It will keep Clems honest and allow them to earn you $s.

PS: lots of folks don't like the outside TV. We love it. I enjoy a cold one in my chair watching the latest. Just my take.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #20

I wish I had an outside TV to watch football games. One of my favorite camping adventures is to go to our "home" base state park in mid to later September and watch the Buffalo Bills outside in my camp recliner, beer and snacks. I use a crappy little 13" to do this but hey, I'm camping and watching football!

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote