Old 10-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

Considering purchasing GT 351DS

Hello all, family of five here and we are looking for your input! We live in southwest Pa and do not have a lot of local choices, as there is only one motorhome dealer in the area. We are strongly considering the Georgetown 351DS. We love the layout and the bunkhouse. The price is also reasonable. I have looked at several of your posts on this forum and have found them to be very helpful, thank you!

So the questions I have are:

This will be our first motorhome purchase. Is this a good first?

We like to visit local campgrounds, as well as take cross-country trips. Will this one be a good fit for both?

What are some options we want to make sure we have? I have gathered from other posts that we want the upgraded fans and Euro chair. I am thinking no on the heat strips and outside TV. I am thinking that we will want the upgraded AC, as we do make it to areas with temps around 100. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for any and all input!

Old 10-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #2

I would say make sure you have:

*A/C Heat Strip

*15 K BTU Roof Air Ducted (In Place of 13.5 K BTU)
*Convection Microwave with Cooktop
*Power Drivers Seat
*Fan-Tastic VentŪ Fan in Kitchen
*Euro Recliner In Place of Barrel Chair
*Dual Pane Windows
*DVD Players In Bunk House
*Home Theater System
*Rear Vision Color Side Camera’s
*Additional Front TV

I don't think the outside TV is an option on new units. and the Heat Strips will be good in cooler climates to maintain the temp while plugged into shore power and to save on propane. I usually run the heatstrips during the day and the furnace at night when on shore power.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #3

I just noticed you indicated it is a family of 5. you might want to consider the front bunk in place of the front TV if you don't want to convert the sofa or dinette into a bed for sleeping.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #4

Thanks chrisbailey. Ya definitely doing the front bunk, my son has already called that! I noticed you mention the 15 k btu is ducted. Is the 13.5 not ducted?
Old 10-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #5

Also if they have the XL model you are looking for will get you a lot of extras that will mean a lot in the long run.
See if they have it and tell them you want to pay the same about as the standard Georgetown model.
Hopefully they have an XL and you can easily see the difference.
Paint instead of stickers
Dual pane windows
Power drivers seal
More headroom inside
More space underneath
Better exterior compartment doors
Both AC units 13.5 bedroom and 15K in front
22.5" tires
Lots more and worth the extra $$

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #6

Iggy...great advice. I will look into this. Unfortunately they only have the model listed. They primarily sell trailers, 5th wheels, etc.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #7

I agree with Iggy, If you can look at an XL you won't be disappointed. Either a 350 or 352.

as far as the smaller AC Units being ducted, I believe they are, I just remember looking at an 2011 350 and that did not have the ducted AC unit.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #8

Ok...great
Old 10-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #9

Just picked up our 351

We are retired but have LOTs of grandkids. We got into RVing with a nice triple slider trailer but decided (meaning Grandpa) that upgrading to a Class A would be a great way to spend even more time with the grandchildren. So we do all sorts of homework, visit all sorts of dealers electronic sites, visit dealer lots, read, read and read some more. Because we had a Flagstaff trailer, we joined this site.

Long story short we, we opted for a Georgetown 351 configured just like the one recommended to you. So far love it.

It isn't a sports car but it handles well with little wander. Wife loves it as well.

And - we joined this forum when we had our Flagstaff trailer, it was a tremendous resource. In looking at possible other alternative Class A, their forums were NOT near as comprehensive.

So solid motor home - GREAT forum.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #10

Please dont just look at your local dealer! I expanded my search and found a 351ds with 90% of what I wanted for lots less than anyone near me would have done. If certain options are non-negotiable expand your dealer search and you will be rewarded. Being military I dont have a "home" area and have read and seen enough that rv dealers are only in it until you sign, then you are just another nuisance to them. If you have any mechanical abilities you can handle 99% of things that gonwrong with your rv. I am sure many will disagree with me but that is just nature of posts on sites like this. Good luck.