Old 07-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #51

Vince, ok got you with all the 5 Star info. Also agree that the Ford downshifts to 3rd skipping 4th. I 've wondered that my self. Also though if the rig is in OD and your slowly losing speed at 27-2800 rpm why you can't add a little more throttle, aka power to say 3500-3800 rpm instead of the downshift. In regards to your trip through the Jellico mtns , would that be Rt. 75 or 71? Drove from WNY last September that way to Atlanta last year and I had no problem maintaining speed about 70 and I don't think I tacked more than 4100 rpm for any given hill climb. I think my rig is smaller at 34.5ft than yours so I would guess it is lighter too.

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #52
Tinkerer and Putterer

I installed dynamat extreme and dynapad in my Forester 3011 DSF over the winter and it cut the road noise down to the point that I could hear the wind noise whistling around my side door instead of the engine and road noise. The floor temp in the cab stays nearly the same as the floor temp in the coach.

In 2013 Ford added a caching mechanism that saves the state of the CPU to a secondary location that cannot be cleared. This allows them to revert a patch but also sends up a big red flag when a tune is installed. The record of the tune is cached for all to see. You aren't going to pull one over on a dealership by reverting to the stock tune and if you have drivetrain warranty work you can bet that any tune that was on the vehicle will be looked at very closely.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #53

Good discussion. I suspect our weight difference could be part of the issue. My 2015 364TS GVWR is 22,000 and I tow a 4300lb (empty) Jeep Liberty. (In the previous scenario, we were on I-75.) A significant added problem is torque "decay". Once you start losing speed, it takes X amount of ft/lbs torque to stop the speed reduction (decay), and an additional amount of torque to attempt to gain back any of the lost speed...thus the 5K rpm. Ordinarily, increasing speed on flat ground should only take a moderate increase in rpm, but a hill accelerates the need for added rpm. Of course, on flat ground, a "lead foot" can have the same effect. IMHO, on a hill, there are two choices: kick it up to 5K or live with the slower speed. Thank you for the great exchange of ideas.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:59 AM   #54
Tinkerer and Putterer

The 3V V10 torque peaks at 4200 and drops off by about 30 lbft by the time you hit 5000. With these heavy rigs the added horsepower of about 30 hp just won't make up the difference. It isn't enough to overcome the wind resistance and weight when compared to operating at 4200 RPM and you're burning more gas.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:32 AM   #55

HappyGuy, - How then do I stay at or below the 4200rpm peak torque point on a hill/mountain?

Tags
georgetown