Old 02-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #1

Coping with the deep freeze...advice?

Hey...we are aboard our coach on the Va/NC areas for the next week and will be facing sub freezing temps down into the teens for several nights but daily highs above freezing.
Have full tank of propane, artic pack upgrade and will be hooked up to 50 amp. Cannot winterize as we will be needing the water system...we can hook up with external hose or use internal tank & pump. Is either one a better choice?
Will we be OK running the cabin heat above 70 degrees and with the arctic pack on...or can my lines still freeze & burst? Does the G'Town furnace also warm the lines/tanks?
Any suggestions on protecting the coach better would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #2

You should be ok but one thing I do is I purchased 2 small heaters from Wal Mart for 10 bucks, they are called personal heaters and only use 450 watts max. I place one where the water pump is and it will be under the fresh water tank, and the other I place in the wet bay where your hose connections are. Also that is where your black and grey tanks are above. With my remote temp sensor it stays approx. 60 degrees when the temp outside is below freezing. I plug them on an extension cord and plug it into the 20 amp on the pedestal or plug it into the compartment to the left of the door, there is a 110 outlet there. I know that with these two heaters in those compartments I know that nothing will freeze and my pump is also covered.
The heaters do not get hot enough to cause any issues. If you want I can show pictures if you need them.

As far as water fill your tank up and use that and refill during the day when temps are above freezing.

&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #3

Excellent suggestion...will do it...thanks.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:20 PM   #4

I would consider keeping the water hose close together in a loop and cover it with a blanket. The main water hose will freeze when exposed to cold unless you have some flow all the time. Maybe keeping the grey water tank open and have a sink faucet open slightly.
You could pack up and head to Arizona when the low is only 45 degrees for awhile.
Good luck

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:08 AM   #5
Bill & Samia

We have bought a 2015 Hemisphere 327RES in October and have spent 8 nights in it already at temps as low as -35 degrees celcius near Toronto. We are winterized and use bottled water and a porta-potty with septic additive as we don't want any water in the trailer until well after the spring thaw. I use a 30 lbs tanks of propane per weekend for heat as well as a mattress pad heater. Any water in the hose, plumbing lines toilet or holding Will Freeze and cause damage. Don't even chance it! we eat out in or park club house but use the camper to sleep AND ENTERTAIN ONLY. When we leave we dump the potty in a dump station. Looking forward to Spring!

Bill Kitchen and Samia
Hemisphere 327RES
B
Old 02-13-2015, 02:24 AM   #6

We full time and when we get below 25 rarely happens here in Oregon,we have always been fine with styrofoam pipe insulation on the feed hose and heavy wrap fleece around the spigot,we have never frozen even when the park water did. Also some kind of heat in the under comparts even a light bulb is better then nothing.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #7

I just thought more about this and forgot to mention that I would turn off and drain the ice maker water line.
Turn the valve off and drain the line going into the freezer.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Hey...we are aboard our coach on the Va/NC areas for the next week and will be facing sub freezing temps down into the teens for several nights but daily highs above freezing.
Have full tank of propane, artic pack upgrade and will be hooked up to 50 amp. Cannot winterize as we will be needing the water system...we can hook up with external hose or use internal tank & pump. Is either one a better choice?
Will we be OK running the cabin heat above 70 degrees and with the arctic pack on...or can my lines still freeze & burst? Does the G'Town furnace also warm the lines/tanks?
Any suggestions on protecting the coach better would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Cam, I live in Va. You should be fine, what I do is fill my fresh water tank and and put the hose away. Line your compartment with the silver insulation that you can get at lowes or HD. line the compartment and the inside of the door, also just wrap some over the water pump. I been doing that for years. This is the first year I ever winterized being I was going to be gone. The heater idea is good but that's what I do....Good luck and don't worry it will not be that cold for over 12 hrs. I also run some hot water through my pump first then cold water. If the camp ground will allow it open and drip you kitchen faucet then you wouldn't have to disconnect the hose. Just make sure you gray tank is open.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #9

Cam just watched the news, Looks like Monday will be the coldest day and night. Other then that the weeks lows are in the high 20's you should be okay.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #10

The light bulb to keep things warm is a great idea. Just make sure it's not a CFL or LED
They don't give off any heat, or at least not nearly as much as the standard incandescent!