Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #1

Corroded brake lines in 2012 Georgetown

Traveling home from a dog show alone with my three dogs my brakes felt soft then I got the low brake fluid warning. Pulled off, added brake fluid and everything seemed ok. Traveled about 20 miles and the same thing happened - got it in to a mechanic right away. The brake lines are corroded from the outside - this is a 2012 Georgetown 378XL with only 20K miles. The brake lines actually had a little hole where they had corroded clear through. Never driven on salt covered roads (parked in the winter months), and I don't live near salt air. This was a disaster just waiting to happen, I shudder to think what would have happened if the lines had completely burst while driving home through the Mountains. I will be reporting this to the National Safety Council and will be contacting Forest River about it.
pereiradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #2

Hi and welcome to the forum and being your first post I'm sorry to hear about your brake line leak.

Have any pictures or where the failure is located?

The bare chassis is a Ford product and not Forest Rivers.
Why take the time to write to the NSC instead of just taking it to your local Ford dealer?
I have the same year and model you do with 42,000 miles and I haven't had any brake problems.
If it was my rig I'd definitely take it to a Ford Dealer.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #3

Iggy - I filed a complaint with the Safety Council as I consider this a serious safety risk for others that needs to be investigated. Despite routine maintenance on my unit no one found how corroded the lines were - so bad they corroded all the way through. I consider myself protected by an Angel - if the circumstances had been slightly different I and my three dogs would not be here today. If I had driven straight home instead of taking a side trip to visit my dad the brakes would have gone in the mountains of VA at highway speed. I not only have video I have the actual parts that were removed. It will be determined who is at fault - Ford or FR, but for now my priority is to now get myself and my dogs home safely.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Corroded brake lines with pin holes are more common in vehicles that are driven infrequently ( ie RVs). The brake fluid absorbs moisture and if the brakes are not used often enough to build up heat and expel the moisture, they actually corrode from the inside. If you have not already replaced the brake lines, you can ask the mechanic to use the new copper impregnated lines that resist corrosion better than the old steel ones.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #5

With a dual master cylinder that everything uses, if one brake like would have blown you would loose 2 brakes not all 4. Still not a good thing but you would not loose all of the braking ability..Glad you are okay,
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:01 PM   #6

I think the opinion that brake lines absorb moisture and corrode friom the inside would be a good episode of Mythbusters. I find it difficult to believe a closed system absorbs enough moisture to completely corrode brake lines from the inside. In my case it is proven a myth, as the corrosion is definitely external and not internal. My unit is driven 2-3 weekends a month April through December, so it gets plenty of driving time.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:32 PM   #7

Brake fluids that are DOT3 or 4 will absorb moisture. There is a shelf life when opened. The maintenance schedules should/do include changing brake fluids. Must rubber components will outlast us if we do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #8

Here in NEPA and many other places PENNDOT uses a brine (?) which eats through brake lines and undercarriages. New replacement brake lines have an outer protective sheath to prevent a reoccurrance. New definition of a panic stop when those brake lines fail!!!!
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #9

Please please please take this seriously! I shudder to think what would have happened if I had not diverted my route to visit my dad and instead went home through the mountains!!! There are so many of these units on the road with unsuspecting owners. It is obvious to me after seeing the part there is a defect in the brake lines resulting is extremely aggressive corrosion from the outside. The units still on the road with the original parts are an accident waiting to happen.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #10

The sky is falling!

Bruce
Old 12-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #11

Is you Google rusted brake lines you will find out that it happens every where and not just on your Georgetown. Not sure what you want to hear from us. If the line failed you still would still have brakes on the other axles as they have dual lines and not all the brakes are effected.
Yours is the first I have ever read here and I have been on this forum for many years.
Have you contacted Ford yet? Have they offered to replace the brake line?

Please update us on what you have done so far.

Try this link and see all the pictures of rusted brake lines.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rust...w=1920&bih=871
Old 12-18-2015, 07:27 AM   #12

Here is another thread where the exact same thing happened on a 2011 model only a little over two years old. In response to your question "not sure what you want to hear from us" = nothing. I just want to put it out there that there is a serious safety issue and that folks should routinely have their brake lines inspected. Over the time I've owned my unit (bought it new) I routinely take it in for service and always ask what else I should be doing at that age/# of miles. No one ever mentioned inspecting the brake lines.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nes-44054.html
Old 12-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #13

Google "brake fluid to acid".
//academyfordadvantage.com/.../brake-fluid-do-you-need-to-replace-it/
Old 12-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #14

Here is the direct video on YouTube
https://youtu.be/o81GjHj4z4s

I also found this in the F-53 Ford Chassis Owners manual.

I had mine done at Ford at 23,000 miles and now have almost 42,000 miles and probably will have it done again as you said you have to depend upon your brakes to stop the our tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	96397  
Old 12-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #15

Glad you are OK. As Iggy suggested take it to your Ford dealer. Ford carries the warranty on the truck portion of the RV. Not sure where you have been taking it for service.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #16

I had the brake fluid changed after 2 years at Gator Ford in Tampa. They are located next door to Lazy Days, and service lots of Ford motorhome chassis. The technician opened the bleeders at each wheel and connected a pump machine to the brake reservoir. After sucking out the old brake fluid, the process was reversed and new fluid added. The entire job took a little over an hour and cost $180. Cheap insurance...
Old 12-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
I had the brake fluid changed after 2 years at Gator Ford in Tampa. They are located next door to Lazy Days, and service lots of Ford motorhome chassis. The technician opened the bleeders at each wheel and connected a pump machine to the brake reservoir. After sucking out the old brake fluid, the process was reversed and new fluid added. The entire job took a little over an hour and cost $180. Cheap insurance...
X2
This is the only way to do it.
Power flush by Ford. No mistakes. Mine cost me $186 but also I had the transmission flushed and refilled for $100 more. $286 at 23,000 miles
You have to take care of your baby!
Old 12-19-2015, 10:50 PM   #18
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Plus, who knows how long chassis set and where before the M/H part was done...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:25 PM   #19

X2! You may not have driven in the snow, but the chassis could have been while on the way to the factory!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #20

Catastrophic brake line failure - AGAIN!!!

Only three years since I lost all braking power in my 2012 Georgetown, it happened again! On a trip went to leave the campground and had absolutely no braking power, Checked fluid and it was EMPTY! I never received a low brake fluid warning this time so it could have been so much worse had it happened on a hill, highway or in traffic! How can the manu not see this as a serious safety issue?

Tags
2012, georgetown, brakes