Old 02-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #31

If you are traveling thru tunnels as in the HMpton Roads area of VA you have to turn the propane off before entering tunnels.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Hey I do that same thing...it also tells me that, yep, the propane is on and has gas!

We've always left the propane on while driving for the fridge but I have those tanks in mind if, God forbid, we're ever in a bad accident. (To run back there and shut them off.)

Also, don't forget to shut off the propane tanks when refueling at gas stations...and turn them back on right after you pull out.
Fill me in on why turn off the propane when filling up? Is the flame and gas fumes the issue?

8528IKWS
TV F-250 Super Duty
Flagstaff15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

There's an open flame on the back of the fridge and I've seen lots of spilled gas around the pumps so don't want to light up anything. (The quickest way to shut it off is just hitting the master power disconnect knob)
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #34
WDK

Just turn the switch off on the frig....puts the flame out. When you turn the frig back on the igniter will strike the propane and your back cooling again.

WDK
Old 02-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #35

Do you have propane or is it residential. I ask because we had no idea (really) that our residential frig didn't use propane making it a whole different set up. It wasn't until we were shown the rig before we took it out of the lot that we were told. It all worked out because in warranty the dealer added 2 more batteries but if you don't have a res. frig than none of this matters!!!
Old 02-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickiedooFlagman View Post
Agree. BUT consider shutting the refer off when refueling. Even if you are diesel, your refueling neighbor might be fueling gas. Your propane refer has an exposed flame that could ignite gasoline fumes.
Not only consider---you must as required by laws when in a fueling station.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #37

On ours when running on propane and you pull into a refueling station when you shut off the engine the fridge does not ignite until 15 minutes after the key is turned off. This is done to assist in the refueling process. I believe I read it in the owners manual. I have never turned off my refer (propane) when refueling. Also going into tunnels you do not have to turn off propane I never have, I believe the law is for tankers and such. Again I could be wrong.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Not only consider---you must as required by laws when in a fueling station.
Are these federal laws or state by state? Just wondering.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:40 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I just filled-up my car tonight and read all the warning signs and they only said to shut vehicles down and only put gas into containers that were on the ground...nothing about RVs or anything. Since my fridge is on the opposite side from where my truck fills up, if I can get to a far-right pump I shouldn't have to shut off the fridge.
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:27 AM   #40

Gasoline fumes are heavier than air, reefers are more than 2 feet above ground no matter what the camper or coach. I would love for anyone that is conversant with science and logic to detail a method that produces a scenario that is dangerous when refueling that does not include dysfunctional logic. It took several years after Nixon was impeached for the government to ban smoking while refueling. Which horse was in what place in what position regarding which cart at that time? This was long after good science recommended grounding containers, filling small tanks on the ground and not using glass containers. There can be significant static charge developed when pumping fuel. I will continue to operate my fridge while traveling unless directed otherwise while on-board vessels or transiting tunnels.

Tags
refrigerator