Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #1

Unhappy Cracked Windshield

Well it happened to me. My 2004 Georgetown XL 36' had the drivers side windshield crack in the upper right hand corner in the middle of the night while camping by the ocean. My first estimate is over $1,000. The windshield has several cracks extending down 2'. I am tempted to drive with it cracked for fear it may happen again.

I noticed the left rear jack was up an inch that may have contributed to the problem. Also I was wrong that I believed the left switch works both left jacks and the right switch both right jacks. In reality the left switch works only the left rear jack and the right only the right rear jack. I was told that each switch controls two jacks at a time to avoid extra twisting to prevent winshield damage.

In the future I will use the front jacks first then rear jacks and minimize side levelling.
NSX1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post
Well it happened to me. My 2004 Georgetown XL 36' had the drivers side windshield crack in the upper right hand corner in the middle of the night while camping by the ocean. My first estimate is over $1,000. The windshield has several cracks extending down 2'. I am tempted to drive with it cracked for fear it may happen again.

I noticed the left rear jack was up an inch that may have contributed to the problem. Also I was wrong that I believed the left switch works both left jacks and the right switch both right jacks. In reality the left switch works only the left rear jack and the right only the right rear jack. I was told that each switch controls two jacks at a time to avoid extra twisting to prevent winshield damage.

In the future I will use the front jacks first then rear jacks and minimize side levelling.
Lippert Leveling System? I was under the same impression that each button controlled 2 jacks as well. Either 2 front, 2 left,2 right or 2 rear. I know when I use the Automatic Function that 2 jacks operate together but Manually I can't be 100% sure. Sorry to hear about your windshield. Any insurance help?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #3

No comprehensive, only liability insurance. Lippert manual also states side switches work only one rear jack and I don't have automatic levelling. Thanks for your concern.
NSX1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Villa Estate 392FLFB

that was the first thing i asked to cover was windows. my tt has enough that if some kid with a rock was having a bad day it would become my bad day..

get it fixed and look into getting a glass package.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Member-at-Large

We're on our third trip with our 2011 360 and have already experienced two "windshield crack" incidents. Both times we immediately contacted GEICO and had Safelite AutoGlass come to our campsite or while traveling we went to them...both repairs were completed in less than 20 minutes and everything has been fine since. One crack is still visible but it's smaller than a nickel and you'd be hard-pressed to find it. It's guaranteed not to run and there was absolutely no out of pocket expense. Thank God for insurance. I cannot fathom dropping another $1000 into our motorhome given the fact that we've only had it a month and a half.
Adirondack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #6

Go to Factory Work Problems, I posted this some time back this is the first problem I had first on many ,look at it with pictures.
louis cherry is offline   Reply With Quote