Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #11

I'm "camping " in the parking lot of FR diesel headquarters. I took a good look at the roof today and I also have the seam showing every 4 feet. Also cracks. I did not see the seams before and don't think I would have missed that. It's been one thing after another this winter and spring so it could be they where there all along. I will hopefully have a good idea as to how they will fix this. They told me that they sand the roof down and put a sheet of fiberglass over the old. I can't see how that will work as the seams will just show again? I will post after our meeting. Man I hope this is the end. We drove up from Lexington today and I just love how this thing drives now. It's just a great MH. Now if they get this fixed I deserve at least a couple of years with no major repairs.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #12

Just spoke with FR. They will not replace my roof because I am well out of warranty. The fix they are recommending is to place metal strips across the roof over the cracks using screws. Then place dicor over all of it to complete the seal. They have agreed to pay for the parts but the labor is on me. What I'm mostly concerned with is what this is going to look like, how long it will last, and what it will do to my resale value?

Any thoughts?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochsa View Post
Just spoke with FR. They will not replace my roof because I am well out of warranty. The fix they are recommending is to place metal strips across the roof over the cracks using screws. Then place dicor over all of it to complete the seal. They have agreed to pay for the parts but the labor is on me. What I'm mostly concerned with is what this is going to look like, how long it will last, and what it will do to my resale value?

Any thoughts?
If it was mine I would ask what is making it crack every 4 ft?
Is the metal frame flexing or is the thin fiberglass roof cracking there the two pieces of plywood meet. As long as the stuff under the fiberglass is solid I would suggest this stuff.

If it was me I would install this stuff instead of bars across the roof.
This is Eternabond. This stuff will seal the possible crack and will still flex with the roof. It comes in different widths 2", 4", 6" and come in different lengths. It is expensive but if you clean the area and apply correctly no water will ever penatrate that area. It can be removed but will take a long time. So plan ahead and do it by the book.
Here is a link to show you waht it is.
EternaBond RoofSeal PLUS

This is where I buy it and it is the cheapest I can find on the web.
50ft x 4" rolls.
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=11341

You can call them and ask questions or email at
1-800-474-7570
sales@bestmaterials.com

It also is great over existing caulked seams. This stuff is a killer and I swear by it.
Any questions ask.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #14

Thank you Iggy for the information.

FR told me that they've seen this before and said one possible cause is from the weight from accumulated snow. We did have snow flurries here in FL about 6 years ago (I think) .

Although the fiberglass is pretty thin, I believe the problem is being caused from the flexing/expansion of the frame underneath. I think this caused the roof to delaminate in those areas which resulted in the cracks. Honestly I really don't know.

My roof's fiberglass has a pitted surface texture (see the pics on page one). Do you think the Eternabond will stick well?

I'm pretty handy but would I be better off getting CW to take a look at it (another opinion)?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #15

I'm sorry to hear that. I have no idea what that will look like or how it will hold up. I can say if I was looking at two MH and one had your fix I would pass. I wonder how much a fix like they are doing on mine would cost?
I was told that the fiberglass company was paying for all work to repair or replace the roof.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #16

Quote:

FR told me that they've seen this before and said one possible cause is from the weight from accumulated snow. We did have snow flurries here in FL about 6 years ago (I think) .

Although the fiberglass is pretty thin, I believe the problem is being caused from the flexing/expansion of the frame underneath. I think this caused the roof to delaminate in those areas which resulted in the cracks. Honestly I really don't know.

My roof's fiberglass has a pitted surface texture (see the pics on page one). Do you think the Eternabond will stick well?

I'm pretty handy but would I be better off getting CW to take a look at it (another opinion)?
Yes I also have the exact same roof on mine. This stuff hets into every hole and crevice. I would start with a good scrub brush leaning the area.
When you apply I would sart on one side with a big over the side. You then remove the backing slowly in short sections (6") then press that area with finders to ensure it gets into every divit. Continue on removing 6 " of the backing at a time. It actuall is very smooth finish and looks very professional.
Let me see if I can find a link to the video showing how to install
Here is video that shows what it looks like and what it can do.
RV Roof repairing with EternaBond - YouTube

Here is another video

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #17

Very important to clean surface. I used Acetone, but I should have been more diligent as the areas that I was less careful did not adhere well.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #18

Quote:

So is this the infamous 10 year warranty on the roof???? The patching is baloney, how bout the next buyer sees is and says "ok thanks!, see yas"
Old 04-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #19

VinceU, you are absolutely correct. I too would walk away.... How much does a new roof cost?

I'm going to contact FR again about a roof replacement. They have a new team over there and I'm certain they'll help out.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #20

Quote:
VinceU, you are absolutely correct. I too would walk away.... How much does a new roof cost?

I'm going to contact FR again about a roof replacement. They have a new team over there and I'm certain they'll help out.
Not for certain, but it wasn't too long ago some one posted about it changing the roof. I don't remember who makes Georgetown roofs, but I would certainly find out and put them on notice too. FR doesn't really hold the mortgage on that item, but I know they've been generous with members here for both repairs and renewals. They don't have to. The only thing comes to mind I guess if was over glued on application it would be able to "work" with the movements of the motor home. Those 4' spaced lines could represent "hard spots" with too much securing, not enough flex. The 4' centers doesn't really line up with "frames" they are closer than 4'. Just food for thought with FR. The cracks don't look line they are all the way through, are they? Could it just be the sealer coat? I that's the case maybe the best fix is to grind down and reapply the final coat.