Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #21

Yes, I agree about FR not contractually owing me anything. They've gotten a pretty bad wrap over years for not standing behind their products, but I believe they're working harder now then ever to please customers.

It appears to me that the crack is all the way through but I can't be certain (no noticeable water leaks) nor was I aware of a sealer coat. There is enough of crack that I can put my finger nail into it. I'm not sure about this theory any way because of the bump/delamination that is preceding the cracks. I doubt the sealer is lifting off the fiberglass.

I do think your explanation of too much glue (not enough flex) is very plausible. Do you know how far the 'frames' are?

Old 04-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #22

If you have the same roof and I think you do it is a single piece of fiberglass. What I have read about this roof it seems a lot of issues are from the install. That large of a sheet over flexing could cause problems after a few years.
What I have been told by FR is mine is caused by inconstant thickness in the sheets. This has been a issue with the supplier the FR uses and has shown up in other manufactures that use they same supplier. The thin spots crack after a short time.
I was also told that this was a issue with Georgetown MH as well. When I brought up your issue Randy nodded and said same issue same supplier.
The only thing different is mine is still in warranty. I have a leftover 2011 that I bought in April of 2012 as a new unit. Mine was built in oct of 2010 and as I understand it that was when a lot if the roof issues came up.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Randy nodded and said same issue same supplier.
Phil, who is Randy? Is he a contact at FR?
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Phil, who is Randy? Is he a contact at FR?
Sorry Randy Houser. He is manager for parts and warranty at FR Diesel Motorhome division. He also may ware other hats but he has been my go to guy when I need anything.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochsa View Post
Yes, I agree about FR not contractually owing me anything. They've gotten a pretty bad wrap over years for not standing behind their products, but I believe they're working harder now then ever to please customers.

It appears to me that the crack is all the way through but I can't be certain (no noticeable water leaks) nor was I aware of a sealer coat. There is enough of crack that I can put my finger nail into it. I'm not sure about this theory any way because of the bump/delamination that is preceding the cracks. I doubt the sealer is lifting off the fiberglass.

I do think your explanation of too much glue (not enough flex) is very plausible. Do you know how far the 'frames' are?
Mine are marked 16-18" apart on roof. Just thinking fibreglas is made with woven cloth and epoxy coating. Roof cloth is thin but it also works normally without cracking unless its over stressed. Phil had a good idea bout faulty fabrication. This stuff comes in a roll and installed in one sheet on the roof. It should not crack in a systematic way that your is. If it continues it would become a mainsail heading down the highway, what a mess. Pics I've seen of install is glue tracks in a sinuous path of narrow lines. That would allow the plywood below to work in the longitudinal direction cause is like a spring. Who knows what happened with the failing roofs. FR advertises 10 year roof, hope they stick by you. Meanwhile photos to the roof sheet maker keeps them advised and involved.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #26

Looks like mine is starting to crack, similar to Lochas' roof. I can't tell if the cracks go all the way through or not, but you can put a fingernail into the crack. So far, no evidence of leakage. I only have two cracks, but they are 4 ft apart, one running from the ceiling vent to the right side, and another from the right side to the shower skylight. Don't recall seeing them before, and I was on the roof before leaving Florida a month ago.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #27

VinceU
"FR advertises 10 year roof"
That usually is the material on trailer roofs but does it include MH too?

If this is happening alot on MH only a few years old maybe we need to gather the information who is having these issues.

Anyone?

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #28

I can say that a casual inspection will miss the cracks. I cleaned mine and a week later my great dealer found the problem when he winterized it. When I saw it he had already caulked it and sent pictures of the cracks to FR. He had everything set up for replacement all I had to do was schedule it.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobill View Post
Looks like mine is starting to crack, similar to Lochas' roof. I can't tell if the cracks go all the way through or not, but you can put a fingernail into the crack. So far, no evidence of leakage. I only have two cracks, but they are 4 ft apart, one running from the ceiling vent to the right side, and another from the right side to the shower skylight. Don't recall seeing them before, and I was on the roof before leaving Florida a month ago.
ohiobill, can you post some picture?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochsa View Post

Here's one product advertised and written up like crazy, this would help stop leaks if the glass should crack, I hope! Thinking of applying around all the openings where cracks start.

Iggy I found the 10 year quote on a competitors brochure, its by the membrane mfg as we expected, although I would think application would come to bear also. I'll keep locking, it's where FR expresses warranties, not in sales brochure. I'll keep looking, I remember seeing 1 year coach, 3 year Ford and 10 year roof.

Fiberglass RV Roof Coat, 1 Gallon

Mfr. Dicor Corporation

$70.20

Fiberglass RV Roof Coat, 1 Gallon.
  • 100% acrylic resin coating forms a flexible layer over any fiberglass roof to protect and beautify
  • Dicor Fiberglass RV Roof Coating gives roofs a super bright white finish, which resists mildew and algae and reflects the sun's heat to help keep the interior cooler
  • Two coats are required
  • One gallon of Dicor Fiberglass RV Coating will cover 350 square feet per coat