Old 05-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #51
daydreaming about camping
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Here's one product advertised and written up like crazy, this would help stop leaks if the glass should crack, I hope! Thinking of applying around all the openings where cracks start.

Iggy I found the 10 year quote on a competitors brochure, its by the membrane mfg as we expected, although I would think application would come to bear also. I'll keep locking, it's where FR expresses warranties, not in sales brochure. I'll keep looking, I remember seeing 1 year coach, 3 year Ford and 10 year roof.

Fiberglass RV Roof Coat, 1 Gallon

Mfr. Dicor Corporation

Fiberglass RV Roof Coat, 1 Gallon.
  • 100% acrylic resin coating forms a flexible layer over any fiberglass roof to protect and beautify
  • Dicor Fiberglass RV Roof Coating gives roofs a super bright white finish, which resists mildew and algae and reflects the sun's heat to help keep the interior cooler
  • Two coats are required
  • One gallon of Dicor Fiberglass RV Coating will cover 350 square feet per coat
I thought I would comment on this product since I actually used to seal cracks in a fiberglass roof. We used to own a 2010 Flagstaff pop-up with the fiberglass roof. We noticed some leaks and thought it had to be the lap sealant. What we found was that the roof had thousands of micro-cracks in it, smaller and thinner than a fingernail clipping.

We talked to lots of people, concentrating more on actual fiberglass repair places than camper dealers who seemed to have no clue. They ultimately agreed in using this product.

The application is probably no more tough than paint, but it takes some time and can be frustrating with midwest weather patterns. First you use a dedicated fiberglass cleaner (also a dicor product) that strips away the oil and resin so you get a good bond. Then you roll on the fiberglass coating. The results were impressive. Shortly after we finished (and it had time to cure) we had a truly torrential rain storm. no leaks at all. Then we puled it through another storm (actually saw a few funnels with that one) and no leaks. It looked amazing (like brand new) and the finish felt extremely durable.

If I owned any RV with a fiberglass roof I would consider bi-annual application of this product as routine maintenance.

I have the remains of what we used, which is probably 3/4 gallon of the cleaner and about 1/3 gallon of the coating in the garage if anyone wants it. We now have a rubber roof.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #52
Looking for an update on what is happening with resolution on this issue. I have the same issue happening on my George Town (2008). I noticed the roof starting to delaminate along the sides a year ago and when I showed it to my dealer they just said they never had this issue before and that it was nothing. Then the roof started to crack at the right front corner and now is traveling along the sides. I used lap sealant on the worst of it but really need to find a permanent fix. So far I don't see any leaks into the coach except the right front where it is worst. When I sealed it last year the leak stopped but the roof continues to crack in other sections.

eyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #53
Just two today's ago I received a call from Steve Stombaugh letting me know that there is nothing that he can do with for me to tell me out being that I'm a second owner. Steve informed me that FR sued the roofing supplier a while back and that the company is bankrupt (I didn't get the company's name). Steve's a nice guy so nothing against him, but I would have hoped FR would have assisted (something). Steve's recommendation to me was to apply 4" eternabond strips across the seems. Then cover the tape with 6" aluminum strips sealed with lap sealant. I do also have some bubbling occurring in one of my corners and so I can only assume cracks will be forming based on eyc's experience.
2010 GeorgeTown 330TS
2006 Acura RSX TypeS
lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #54
Thanks Lou, not sure who I am more upset with right now. The dealer that told me nothing was wrong or FR for not letting their customers know that they may have an issue with their roof. I bought this RV new because I had several issues with a TPO roof on my last RV. Now I am wishing I stayed with the TPO, at least I could fix that material in my back yard. I sent FR an email and asked them for assistance in this repair, and if not I will have to see what my options are.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #55
It's not just georgetowns having the problem. I'm glad I read up on this here, but I have a 2014 Sunseeker with hundreds of micro cracks on the roof along the sides from front to back. I'm sure it's the same suppliers. I am in the process of making all of the formal notifications and looking for a suitable solution, not a patch on a brand new coach.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #56
Plain Old Member
Apparently the roof that's being used now isn't a whole lot better if they're still getting issues with cracking in a 2014 model. Though we haven't had any problems with ours, yet, I'll be glad to go back to the EPDM. As mentioned by eyc, at least the epdm or tpo stuff is easy to fix, anywhere. We always carried dicor, patch kits and eternabond with us just in case on previous trailers. Never had to use it except once, and that was a 10 minute fix. 2 screws backing out of roof decking. Small slit in roof, removed screws, a little construction adhesive, reset screws, patched and dicored section, done. I can deal with chalking, streaks and all that, I cannot deal with cracks in a roof. Think it's time for the industry to back up and punt, look at other avenues.
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #57
FR has asked me to bring my RV to their factory so they can take care of this issue.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #58
Eyc, I would really like to get some more information from you about this. I have not been able to make contact with anyone at FR who can help, and my dealer said they would have an answer in 24 hrs. That was several days ago. If you could PM me some details regarding a contact and how the issue will be resolved I would appreciate it. I already contacted our lien holder and reported the situation with our new motorhome and they were going to try to provide assistance, but that could take months.

4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote