Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #1

Cracks in roof

I need some advice on what my next steps should be.

Was up my roof today to clean it and found cracks in my fiberglass roof. Looks like they are the running the width of my MH every 4 feet. Also looks like the started with the fiberglass lifting up first like a tunnel / delamination.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-75673830.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	28501

Name:	image-342267133.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	28502

I also noticed some slight delamination in the back right corner.

Name:	image-2418472768.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	28503
lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, sorry to see that Lochsa. The question is how handy are you? I've seen spider cracks in the gel coat of a friend's MH which he repaired with a gel-patch and eternabond but these are quite a bit more extensive.

Personally, I would get it in to my dealer to find out why this is happening. If the RV is not in a covered area and you cannot take it in for some time, then place a patch, tape or sealant to avoid further water intrusion.

Good luck.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #3

That looks bad. Sorry to see those issues. What year is your MH. I have a 2011 Berkshire that is going in to the factory in Elkhart to have the roof replaced.My dealer found cracks last fall when he winterized it for me. If it's every four feet I would guess the plywood is causing the cracks.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
MI Camperz

Phil, Just as an FYI, Why is it just now going to Elkhart if the problem was found in the fall? Just curious....is it part of the process to wait this long, or was that a choice you made?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #5

Lochsa
What year is your Georgetown?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Lochsa
What year is your Georgetown?
2010. No noticeable leaks so far. It will be a could of days before I can get it to the dealer and so I'm wondering if I should wait before I apply any temporary fix (so not to cover it up).
Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #7

Time to contact Forest River and send them your VIN and pictures and ask why would this happen in such a short period.
Thay may help get it replaced if you ask nicely

Georgetown Warrantee Manger
Steve Stombaugh
sstombaugh@forestriverinc.com

or Asst

Ms April Conner – Office 574-206-7603
AConner@ForestRiverInc.com
Old 04-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Phil, Just as an FYI, Why is it just now going to Elkhart if the problem was found in the fall? Just curious....is it part of the process to wait this long, or was that a choice you made?
The MH was going into inside storage as they were to busy to do it on the fall. The plan was to bring it to Elkhart in Feb. but we had some health issue in our family. We finely got south the first of April and will drop it off Monday on our way home. They will have it for about ten days. Randy and FR has been very helpful and supportive in getting this resolved. I look forward to getting this done and having major issues behind us.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochsa View Post
I need some advice on what my next steps should be.

Was up my roof today to clean it and found cracks in my fiberglass roof. Looks like they are the running the width of my MH every 4 feet. Also looks like the started with the fiberglass lifting up first like a tunnel / delamination.

I also noticed some slight delamination in the back right corner.
Sorry to jump on your post I only gave my info to help. The feedback that I got from Randy at the Diesel MH division was that they had some bad fiberglass around the time my MH was built. Oct. 2011. This caused cracks in the roof. My roof does not look like yours but has cracks across the roof but not in any pattern. I was told that they will sand the roof down and put a new sheet of fiberglass on top of the old. Yours looks like the plywood is coming up. I would call FR or have the dealer do it. I have always found them open to working directly with us as owners. Calling directly may speed up the process.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #10

Thanks for the all of the info. I plan to contact FR on Monday and will keep you all posted.

Thanks,
Louis
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #11

I'm "camping " in the parking lot of FR diesel headquarters. I took a good look at the roof today and I also have the seam showing every 4 feet. Also cracks. I did not see the seams before and don't think I would have missed that. It's been one thing after another this winter and spring so it could be they where there all along. I will hopefully have a good idea as to how they will fix this. They told me that they sand the roof down and put a sheet of fiberglass over the old. I can't see how that will work as the seams will just show again? I will post after our meeting. Man I hope this is the end. We drove up from Lexington today and I just love how this thing drives now. It's just a great MH. Now if they get this fixed I deserve at least a couple of years with no major repairs.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #12

Just spoke with FR. They will not replace my roof because I am well out of warranty. The fix they are recommending is to place metal strips across the roof over the cracks using screws. Then place dicor over all of it to complete the seal. They have agreed to pay for the parts but the labor is on me. What I'm mostly concerned with is what this is going to look like, how long it will last, and what it will do to my resale value?

Any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Just spoke with FR. They will not replace my roof because I am well out of warranty. The fix they are recommending is to place metal strips across the roof over the cracks using screws. Then place dicor over all of it to complete the seal. They have agreed to pay for the parts but the labor is on me. What I'm mostly concerned with is what this is going to look like, how long it will last, and what it will do to my resale value?

Any thoughts?
If it was mine I would ask what is making it crack every 4 ft?
Is the metal frame flexing or is the thin fiberglass roof cracking there the two pieces of plywood meet. As long as the stuff under the fiberglass is solid I would suggest this stuff.

If it was me I would install this stuff instead of bars across the roof.
This is Eternabond. This stuff will seal the possible crack and will still flex with the roof. It comes in different widths 2", 4", 6" and come in different lengths. It is expensive but if you clean the area and apply correctly no water will ever penatrate that area. It can be removed but will take a long time. So plan ahead and do it by the book.
Here is a link to show you waht it is.
EternaBond RoofSeal PLUS

This is where I buy it and it is the cheapest I can find on the web.
50ft x 4" rolls.
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=11341

You can call them and ask questions or email at
1-800-474-7570
sales@bestmaterials.com

It also is great over existing caulked seams. This stuff is a killer and I swear by it.
Any questions ask.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #14

Thank you Iggy for the information.

FR told me that they've seen this before and said one possible cause is from the weight from accumulated snow. We did have snow flurries here in FL about 6 years ago (I think) .

Although the fiberglass is pretty thin, I believe the problem is being caused from the flexing/expansion of the frame underneath. I think this caused the roof to delaminate in those areas which resulted in the cracks. Honestly I really don't know.

My roof's fiberglass has a pitted surface texture (see the pics on page one). Do you think the Eternabond will stick well?

I'm pretty handy but would I be better off getting CW to take a look at it (another opinion)?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #15

I'm sorry to hear that. I have no idea what that will look like or how it will hold up. I can say if I was looking at two MH and one had your fix I would pass. I wonder how much a fix like they are doing on mine would cost?
I was told that the fiberglass company was paying for all work to repair or replace the roof.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #16

Quote:

FR told me that they've seen this before and said one possible cause is from the weight from accumulated snow. We did have snow flurries here in FL about 6 years ago (I think) .

Although the fiberglass is pretty thin, I believe the problem is being caused from the flexing/expansion of the frame underneath. I think this caused the roof to delaminate in those areas which resulted in the cracks. Honestly I really don't know.

My roof's fiberglass has a pitted surface texture (see the pics on page one). Do you think the Eternabond will stick well?

I'm pretty handy but would I be better off getting CW to take a look at it (another opinion)?
Yes I also have the exact same roof on mine. This stuff hets into every hole and crevice. I would start with a good scrub brush leaning the area.
When you apply I would sart on one side with a big over the side. You then remove the backing slowly in short sections (6") then press that area with finders to ensure it gets into every divit. Continue on removing 6 " of the backing at a time. It actuall is very smooth finish and looks very professional.
Let me see if I can find a link to the video showing how to install
Here is video that shows what it looks like and what it can do.
RV Roof repairing with EternaBond - YouTube

Here is another video
Old 04-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #17

Very important to clean surface. I used Acetone, but I should have been more diligent as the areas that I was less careful did not adhere well.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #18

Quote:

So is this the infamous 10 year warranty on the roof???? The patching is baloney, how bout the next buyer sees is and says "ok thanks!, see yas"
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #19

VinceU, you are absolutely correct. I too would walk away.... How much does a new roof cost?

I'm going to contact FR again about a roof replacement. They have a new team over there and I'm certain they'll help out.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #20

Quote:
VinceU, you are absolutely correct. I too would walk away.... How much does a new roof cost?

I'm going to contact FR again about a roof replacement. They have a new team over there and I'm certain they'll help out.
Not for certain, but it wasn't too long ago some one posted about it changing the roof. I don't remember who makes Georgetown roofs, but I would certainly find out and put them on notice too. FR doesn't really hold the mortgage on that item, but I know they've been generous with members here for both repairs and renewals. They don't have to. The only thing comes to mind I guess if was over glued on application it would be able to "work" with the movements of the motor home. Those 4' spaced lines could represent "hard spots" with too much securing, not enough flex. The 4' centers doesn't really line up with "frames" they are closer than 4'. Just food for thought with FR. The cracks don't look line they are all the way through, are they? Could it just be the sealer coat? I that's the case maybe the best fix is to grind down and reapply the final coat.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote