Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 11:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
An important and cheap piece of safety equipment that I always carry is a Weather Radio. This one is quite good:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Standard cold weather survival kit is also a great idea.

We got stuck on an icy/snowy road in Yosemite in April, 2012. We left Fresno in the morning wearing summer clothes, and by the time we reached about 8,000 feet we were in no way prepared to deal with a car stuck in snow with an ice base. My only "Tool" was a 1 foot 2X4 that I keep as a base for my jack. After about 45 minutes I managed to dig the car out and back up through our tracks.

The wife was not amused.

Excellent suggestion!

You comment about being in summer clothes running into snow made me laugh. We used to live in Reno NV. On the way home from Auburn we had to stop at a chain control point below Blue Canyon and switch out to 4WD in my 1990 F150. While were waiting, a car full of college kids pulled up. There was 4" of wet snow on the ground and these kids jumped out in shorts, sandals and t-shirts. They were rather astonished. They obviously weren't expecting winter weather. No one had winter clothes. They got chained up, and went on their way as did we. At least we had winter clothes.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #22

We did Monarch pass in mid-November last year at drove almost all of rt 50. It was clear that day, but noted that many campgrounds had shut down for the season. Arches is worth it, but quite a few more parks and national monuments are nearby!
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #23

Thanks to everyone who replied. Wasn't aware that in addition to mountains, weather needed be taken into account to that extent. Will look at more southerly routes as suggested as well as paying attention to weather.
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchbih View Post
I saw that it snowed on Monarch Pass (US 50) yesterday (August 7). I lived in Colorado for over 30 years and saw snow every month of the year. That's one of the reasons I now live in South Texas. ��
Monarch Pass, Colorado, Web Cams
Old 08-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied. Wasn't aware that in addition to mountains, weather needed be taken into account to that extent. Will look at more southerly routes as suggested as well as paying attention to weather.

Oh yes! The weather can turn on you overnight between Nov. 1 and April 1 in the western mountain country. Even the route I suggested out of Albuquerque can get snowed on but generally it is a good route and avoids mountain passes, though between Cortez CO and Monticello UT is a beautiful wind-swept plateau that lies at 6500 to 7000 feet. It can get blizzards that will drift across US 491 forcing the CDOT and UDOT to close the highway at Dove Creek. However, our experience on this route has been good and the roads are usually dry. Be prepared for winter driving conditions and always have tire chains when in this area between October and April. I would look at chain installation and location instructions for your vehicle(s) whether towing a trailer or driving a motorhome. Most of the bad weather occurs between Thanksgiving and Valentine's Day.

Safe travels!
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #26
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmgirl View Post
We did Monarch pass in mid-November last year at drove almost all of rt 50. It was clear that day, but noted that many campgrounds had shut down for the season. Arches is worth it, but quite a few more parks and national monuments are nearby!
Last October I met up with some RV friends at Mountaindale RV Park on Hwy 115 between Colorado Springs and Canon City on the way to spend a week at Blue Mesa (on Hwy 50 just west of Gunnison).

Had to spend two extra days at Mountaindale due to a snowstorm rolling through.

Monarch Pass didn't close because of the snow...but I sure didn't want to pull my 5'ver over it in the snow!

When I did go over Monarch on that trip all of the snow was gone!

Typical Colorado!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	883.6 KB
ID:	182702  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #27

I live in the central Rocky Mountains just off I-70. Don't let these people scare you. Its generally nice in early November. While it could snow, it generally warms enough to melt it and the highway department does a great job. If it snows just hunker down for a day or so and then be on your way. I never heard of Aspen Peak and it sure isn't on I-70. The worse place on I-70 in the winter is Vail Pass and the COTRIP app provides up to the minute road conditions. So come on and have fun. And if you come across I-70 make sure to stop in Glenwood Springs. It has the best natural hot springs pool in the world and makes you feel like a kid.
Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less is More View Post
I live in the central Rocky Mountains just off I-70. Don't let these people scare you. Its generally nice in early November. While it could snow, it generally warms enough to melt it and the highway department does a great job. If it snows just hunker down for a day or so and then be on your way. I never heard of Aspen Peak and it sure isn't on I-70. The worse place on I-70 in the winter is Vail Pass and the COTRIP app provides up to the minute road conditions. So come on and have fun. And if you come across I-70 make sure to stop in Glenwood Springs. It has the best natural hot springs pool in the world and makes you feel like a kid.
X2
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote