Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2018, 09:07 PM   #1

Curious Winter Driving

We were out on the road traveling across country and the temperatures were around 28 to 30. We passed several Class A’s, 5th Wheels and TT’s. Don’t you have to worry about pipes/water freezing? We have our rig winterized and settled down for a long winter’s nap. I would seem like major wind chill. Just Curious.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
Jayhawker

Not if has been winterized. Just saying, I would have ours winterized if we were traveling in below freezing weather.
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Wind chill only affects living humans/animals.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

We just leave it winterized until we get south for the winter. Akip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:27 PM   #5
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
That is correct. Some folks drain the lines/tanks as an additional precaution while travelling in the cold.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
Road Warrior

Is the Arctic pack powered by 12 volt or 110? If its 12 volt I would keep it on while driving but if 110 you can't I assume...anyone know? I have not done it yet but I assumed I could run my arctic pack all the time when traveling in cold weather...

2015 Fleetwood Expedition Pusher
Towing a VW Beetle Convertible
mikedawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedawson View Post
Is the Arctic pack powered by 12 volt or 110? If its 12 volt I would keep it on while driving but if 110 you can't I assume...anyone know? I have not done it yet but I assumed I could run my arctic pack all the time when traveling in cold weather...
12v but it draws a fair amount of current.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
Jayhawker

Wink Arctic Pack

Quote:
The Arctic Package would not keep your water lines from freezing. It is designed to keep your tanks (gray and black) from freezing.
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
2018 31L5

You need to keep furnace running also to keep water lines from freezing.
bobotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #10

A lot of us travel winterized until we get south enough to unwinterize without worrying about it. We carry a bit of rv antifreeze to use with the toilet if we need it, but mostly use the restrooms at the rv Park, fuel stops, whatever. If just a short cool snap when we’re traveling we use the tank heaters and might drain or blow out the lines just to be cautious. In our part of the world you see Montana, Alberta, and Saskatchewan rv’s of all types traveling regardless of the time of year or temperatures so a lot of folks have their method figured out it seems.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

Quote:

True. But people forget that fast moving air carries the heat away causing the temperature of inanimate objects to lower to the point that water will freeze or diesel gel quicker.

I have seen many times in the '70s and '80s a semi-truck would start and run easily but once on the road traveling at highway speeds the fuel will thicken to the point it ceases to flow. Truckers would put additives in their fuel tanks to slow the gelling process. Some would blend kerosene or #1 fuel with the #2 diesel to slow the process. This was a common problem with drivers not familiar to northern driving, they would fuel up in the south and drive into the north. The problem with fuel gelling up has been pretty much eliminated with the addition of fuel tank and line heaters.

In very cold winters many people would place cardboard in front of the radiator because the air flow through it would keep the coolant from warming up to the point they could get warm air out of the heater. When I was a feed truck driver in NW Indiana during the '70s there were several winter days I could watch the engine temperature gauge drop.

Another problem was not having the right mixture of antifreeze in the radiator and it would start freezing up.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
Road Warrior

Quote:
12v but it draws a fair amount of current.
That shouldn't be an issue since the engine is running right?

Old 11-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #13
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
The Arctic Package would not keep your water lines from freezing. It is designed to keep your tanks (gray and black) from freezing.
Sounds like another half ass RV system then if it wont warm your water lines too....if I have to run my furnace then that would also keep the grey, water and black tanks at least semi liquid as well

Old 11-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #14

many thousands live in 'RVs' during the 'winter', we from the southern states just don't realize it... most any RV is suitable for travel and living no matter what the temps... some of experience the joys of aggravatingly HOT summer days, and others terribly COLD winter months!
It's all doable if you just handle things correctly - each situation calls for different measures.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #15

maybe they are winterized brand new and being delivered. living close to northern IN I see the delivery guys going by all the time.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
maybe they are winterized brand new and being delivered. living close to northern IN I see the delivery guys going by all the time.
I bought my TT in July and it had been on the lot only a couple days after delivery from the factory. Huge sticker on the front saying "This Unit is Winterized".

I'm sure that this is pretty standard as who knows how long a unit might sit on a dealer's lot.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
Some have heater pads on the pipe and elbow from the holding tanks. Mine does.

As for freezing water lines, that will vary by unit. Sometimes there is enough heat trapped in the underside enclosure to keep that from happening to the line from tank to pump and it can take quite a while for the inside to cool down to freezing where the rest of the lines are located. Run the furnace just before departing and run it again during lunch break. Unless you are traveling in sub-zero weather I seriously doubt the interior will cool quick enough to freeze lines.

I like to avoid traveling during early or late hours in the day when the weather is below freezing. Not only is it a few degrees warmer, highway crews have had time to deal with the icy spots that tend to develop on roads overnight. Shaded areas and bridge decks are the worst. I drive from around 10 AM to 3 PM on days like that. People who are in a hurry are usually the first to the scene of an accident.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #18

RVs typically won't be winterized unless:
A) it's determined that the unit might not be delivered to a dealer before any freezing temps are expected at the factory and/or transport lot
B) .... or at the dealership where the unit is being delivered
C) .... or a dealership wishes it due to how long the unit might sit on their lot

during the spring and summer months at the factory, most are not winterized, especially if they are headed south

you can rest assured, though, those units going north, especially the great white North, will probably always be winterized

but, you may see some on a dealers lot that are, and some that are not... especially if the factory performs a full water line test and blows out the lines afterwards, effectively winterizing it with air.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #19

Quote:
That shouldn't be an issue since the engine is running right?
Depends on the number of heating pads installed. If one on Water tank and, one each on holding tanks, and a couple smaller pads on the outlet pipes and elbows for holding tanks (as my setup has from the factory) the power draw can add up. A heater for a 40 gallon water tank can draw 10 amp, for 20 gal holding tank ~5 amp, and elbow heaters another 5 amp. On my TT would total almost 30 amp when all are switched on by their internal thermostats.

Unless one has upsized the charge wire from the tow vehicle on TT's that rely on the "umbilical cord" for charging power while underway, that would be a net loss on the TT's batteries.

FWIW, the heating pad mfr's recommend that they be turned on before freezing temps are expected (as long as water is in the tanks) as it takes longer (and more power) to heat up near freezing water than it does to keep water warm enough to freeze. Keep the heaters on when running generator or on shore power right up to the last minute before departing in cold weather for best results. If the water is above the upper limit (often stated as 60 degrees by many mfr's) then the heaters won't kick back on until the temps get back down to around 40. Since they are attached to the tank that means water/tank temp, not just air temp.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #20

We have used various RV's (TT, 5th wheel and motorhome) on a limited basis in winter months over the years. It makes it easier if you get a winterizing kit which attaches to your water pump. Carry bottles of plumbing antifreeze and run it into the system before winter or if you are returning north into freezing temps. Use the plumbing antifreeze directly into the toilets. You will need to carry a 5 gal freshwater for drinking and cooking but try not to run it down the sink, or if you do run some antifreeze after. The furnace, stove, fridge and other systems work fine in cold weather but you need to crack a vent and be careful with humidity (limit cooking). Obviously take advantage of showers and restrooms at truck stops or other locations.
lmarty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter