Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

Dash AC warranty?

New 351ds and first trip was last week to lake George NY last weekend. Dash A.C. working but not blowing really cold at all. Called local Ford truck dealer and they told me to check or charge the AC in the rv is not a warranty issue and the RV manufacturer should have filled it. Am I on the hook now for it or is Forrest River? Or does this dealer not want to do the warranty work?
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Senior Member - Retired

From the posts I have observed on this forum, having to replace the dash air compressor is relatively common. I had mine replaced by Ford under warranty in May of this year. I suggest you check with a Ford dealer that is familiar and comfortable with working on RV's. Good luck to you!
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #3

I figured it's a Ford issue. I'm just wondering if it's a warranty issue or out of pocket deal. I called all American Ford in Hackensack NJ. They told me if it's just an Ac fill it's not a warranty issue an I'll have to pay for it.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #4

Ford

RV chassis if F53 is by Ford and covered by 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. That is the only way I would have bought an RV. If I had to depend on an RV dealer for the F53 service, it would be a red line - NO!
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #5

It is an F53 chassis but the one dealer told me it's not a warranty issue. I don't see how it's not if I just bought the RV in March and the ac doesn't blow cold.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #6

I just had the same problem with our 2012 351ds. It was still under the extended warranty but the warranty wouldn't pay to recharge the A/C which was the problem. The Ford dealer I took it to said they see quite a few of these motorhomes where the A/C wasn't completely charged by the manufacturer. Cost me a little over $250 to get it squared away.

Brad
bmeiners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Senior Member - Retired

Fortunately my local Ford dealer has an RV service center. The service center decided the loss of gas was caused by a failed seal, hence a compressor replacement and recharge. Zero cost to me. They even washed the MH before I picked it up, again no charge!
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #8

Look at your compressor. If there is oil residue then the seal failed and Ford will replace it free. Happened to me when my coach was less than year old. It is a common problem. Probably a made in China part haha.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #9

Ford/whoever makes their compressors(Sankyo I think) actually cast/cut a groove in the nose of the compressor and put a felt wick in there to draw out the oil and get it away from the clutch.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel68 View Post
We've had the 760 LMT for a while. Overall it's a good piece of equipment. All automotive GPS make mistakes. We check Google and the whole map before we go - long trips.

I've got built in GPS in my truck and our car, those both work better the the portable GPS systems, but again are not always pick the best routes, even with filters on or off.

Lots of times my wife or daughter will have their phones out in questionable situations.

Just imagine what that's like. My wife and daughter both on their phone maps telling me where to turn, then my own GPS. Sometimes getting lost isn't that bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Ford/whoever makes their compressors(Sankyo I think) actually cast/cut a groove in the nose of the compressor and put a felt wick in there to draw out the oil and get it away from the clutch.
That may be the case, but when the seal fails there is a lot of oil leaking out. Way more than wicking. The Ford dealer that replaced mine under warranty said it was a frequent problem. Quite a few members on here had also had theirs fail early on so I knew where to look. Ford replaced it and no hesitation.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #11

Don't know why the GPS comment got on this AC post?
Old 06-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
Don't know why the GPS comment got on this AC post?
The forum is probably multitasking - LOL.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #13

Our 2012 Georgetown, 2011 F53, FORD f53, compressor failed within the warranty and was replaced by FORD. No problems from ford, except the mechanic said "it's a known problem because we let the motor homes set for months at a time."

I learned my lesson after the second compressor failed faster than the original.
Didn't have it replaced, just added R134a with a hose I bought at autozone, walmart, etc.
Less than $50 the first year less than 15 every year since.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #14
Conservative Warrior

Dash AC warranty?

Since the warranty on my 2007 was no longer in force. I did buy an additional warranty from on line. They covered my AC with only a 50 deductible. I had never ever purchase a warranty before, but glad I did. The repairs on AC cover the cost I paid.
Vegasmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:20 AM   #15
usnrete8

My 2016 270SS Georgetown lost all of the chassis ac refrigerant in less than a year, my local Ford truck service department found a hole in a ac hose caused by a dumb installation. They also pointed out the hoses had Goodyear not Ford imprinted on them, other major components of the system were not Ford. Forest River uses the Ford compressor but sources many other components from the outside market in order to configure the system to fit the motorhome. In a nutshell Forest River assembles their hybrid chassis ac system, and did a poor job on mine. Finally Forest River Georgetown warranty rep, Cel Lopez, authorized me to get it repaired by the local Ford Truck service department and reimbursed me fully for the expense. About the only thing Ford will take responsibility for is a defective compressor, Forest River has diddled with everything else.
ds41crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:07 AM   #16

I finally went to Ford to have my dash A.C. checked. Turns out Freon was good but during build process someone forgot to plug the wiring harness back into the compressor. Plugged it in. All works great now.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEliasz View Post
I finally went to Ford to have my dash A.C. checked. Turns out Freon was good but during build process someone forgot to plug the wiring harness back into the compressor. Plugged it in. All works great now.
So you never had any compressor driven ac since new? I am guessing Ford charged you for the service since it was not their issue?
Old 07-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #18

Nope dealer checked Freon said that was ok. Said compressor wasn't turning on. Checked further. After 3 minutes plugged it in said your all good have a good day.

Tags
warranty