Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #1

Question Dashboard - Georgetown Series 5

Needs some suggestions. Looking to find a way to mount my GPS on dashboard on my 2018 Georgetown 31R5. Also, is there an attachment of some kind which would give us a glove box. Really didn't notice there wasn't one when we purchased vehicle. Who makes a dash without a glove box. Any help would be of great assistance. Thanks
john rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #2

Go to ebay and search 3M car dash pad. Gps suction mount will attach to it. Cost about 3 bucks. This is what Ive used without problems for three years. As far as glove box. I use the cabinet above drivers seat to store registration and owners manual. Im sure there are other ideas, but this has worked out fine for me for five years.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

X2......use existing cupboards closest to you.

I haven’t seen glove boxes in any make/model of motorhomes.

What are you trying to store that needs a glove box?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:28 AM   #4
Seasoned Camper-MH newbie

We use a dash pad something like this

HandStands Sticky Pad GPS Dash Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RZLT4M..._AbdABb38926C4
Old 08-07-2018, 12:23 AM   #5

Storage

Is there a storage area on the driver side floor by your left foot? I eventually noticed I have one there.

Congrats on the 2018 31r5. We just bought a new 2017 model 31r5. Still acquiring all the “stuff” we need before it’s maiden voyage. Also have a lonnng list of warranty repairs to be dealt with.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #6

The dashboard on our 2011 Georgetown 327 has a stipple pattern which makes it impossible for a suction cup to hold on it. I purchased a steel plate with double sided adhesive pad that stuck to the dash and provided a flat surface for the suction cup.

This worked fine for a couple of years then the accumulated heat from the sun finally softened the glue that held it to the dash. I reglued it using contact cement and all was well for another six months until the adhesive on the steel plate side gave way. More contact cement to fix this side and it's been working well since then.

Ahother trick to get the suction cup to hold better is to spread a drop or two of glycerine around the edge of the suction cup. Once the cup is in place for a few minutes, it'll stay there for years.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:01 AM   #7

My parents have a class A diesel pusher and it has two small drawers just to the right of the driver in the center of the dash and I always wondered why more rv manufacturers didn’t do something similar, I did see at a rv show one of the new 2018 class A gas burners had a large drawer built into the center of the dash and it was designed in a way that you didn’t even know it was there and you had to push in on the drawer which would make it pop open.. I was pretty cool! I wanna say it was a new Jayco precept but I can’t remember for certain.

I happened to find a small wooden magazine holder that’s roughly 12” wide x 16” tall and about 4-5” deep with a wooden hinged lid on the top that closely matched the wood work in our coach and I attached it to the floor under the drivers side window just between the seat and the dash and it works well! I’m pretty sure i got it at either Home Goods or the Container Store but a google search or a trip to a IKEA may work too.

As for the gps I went to Best Buy and found a dash mount for a garmin that had a large stiff rubberish foot on it that is designed to just cling to the dash but I removed the rubber foot thing and placed a piece of industrial Velcro cut to match the metal piece the rubber foot was attach to and then attached the other side of the Velcro to the top center portion of the dash right in between the drive and passenger seats, that particular mount swivels left, right and up and down and the wife can easily turn it towards her to enter an address. I bought a hardwire kit from eBay for our gps and drilled a small hole in the dash just behind the mount and wired it to the 12v outlet.. it has worked perfectly for almost a yr now! It’s called a garmin friction mount and it’s Model: 010-11280-11 and as long as the gps you are using has the socket on the back of it that a small ball snaps into to mount the unit to the mount it came with it should work. Most gps’s use that same ball mount. I think I paid $20 for it.
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown