Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #1

De-winterizing

We have a 2005 Georgetown 359ts that was winterized by the dealer before we bought it. I need to de-winterize when we get to FL. The water filter housing looks MT but is an amber color. I am not sure what that means but wouldn't antifreeeze be pink?. If the housing is MT would't there be a bypass? Well, I don't see it.

Also, how do you get the bleach into the fresh water tank for sanitizing? Is there an access port somewhere?

I guess I need an "RVing for Dummies" book.

Thanks for any help.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Dan the Busman

Smile Dan the Busman

I always use RV Basics.net for all my questiions. It's great for us dummies.
Busman1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Dan the Busman

Excuse me RVBasics.com
Busman1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The way I add bleach to my fresh water tank is premix it with water in an old milk jug, and pour it through a funnel into the water inlet valve.....the 1 where you fill your tank. I keep a funnel on a piece of plastic hose for that, and also if I need to add water while dry camping.

Only add about 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons of water......it don't take much.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #5

Bill since you have a george town, the best way to get a cup of bleach into your tank is by adding a garden hose to the motorhome and pour a cup of bleach into the other end, then attach it to the water outlet and turn on the water. That way the bleach will go into the tank. There is a siphon plug in the water inlet that needs a little pressure to open up the plug. Your filter will need to be replaced. Normally, we change the filter once a year. when i winterized ours, i took the filter completely out. You might want to do that too when flushing out the water lines and pump. Then put the new filter in. If you have a washer/dryer, run it thru the wash cycle to get the antifreeze out of that too. Also the ice maker needs to be rinsed. We just let the water fill up and make ice a couple of times until the water becomes clear. Since the dealer added the antifreeze, you may have to turn the hot water valve back to reg from bypass and replace the anoid rod. Look for leaks as some people forget about the drains in these units and being plastic, can leak.
I usually wait till I get to GA before trying to dewinterize my rig when we go to Florida for the winters. And really flush out the water tank a couple of times after I get there. When traveling to and from VA, we carry gal bottled water for drinking and flushing the toilet and store them in the shower .

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Ken, I have seen that very idea before and resolved to do it that way when I unwrap my camper. It is an awesome technique.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown