Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 09:47 PM   #1

Dead battery bank

Looking for expertise. New RV guy, but enjoying our 2017 Georgetown 364 MH.Little problem recently: No 12v power. Steps, entertainment system, awning lights, etc, won't operate. Rig is on 50 amp service between trips. When I start the engine, all 12V comes to life within a minute, and I can literally hear the battery bank switch at the steps, engage. All good for a few hours, but the bank slowly loses power again. Bad converter? Do I test the batteries first? Where IS the converter?! Dealer can't see me for 6 weeks, and we have a trip in 7 days. Hoping I'm just missing something simple. Thanks in advance
Laus Deo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #2

is there a battery disconnect switch that has the batteries switched off? if so, they will not get charged from the converter even if plugged into 50 amp service?
Old 07-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Do I test the batteries first?
this is the best idea...

go to Harbor Freight and purchase a 12V battery load tester... this unit will put a load (will work) the battery while monitoring the voltage and you can see if the batteries are up to snuff... the device shown below...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #4

Yes I do have a battery bank switch, but it's on. It too loses power as the bank drains (switch light goes out) but comes on about a minute after I start the coach engine.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #5

The engine alternator will charge the battery bank when it is running, so after an hour or so the battery bank should have enough of a charge to run your 12 volt system for a while. Not long though.
Another way is to test the voltage from the converter to the battery bank. Place the multimeter connection on the batteries while connected to shore power, you should measure over 13 volts and when the engine is running you should also have over 13 volts without being connected to shore power. Remember the coach battery switch needs to be on.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

Update: on shore power, multimeter shows battery bank at 9.6v. On alternator (coach engine running) the bank receives 13.6v. Bad converter? If so, can anybody tell me where it is on a 2017 Georgetown 364 MH? Is it difficult to replace? Should I upgrade from factory?
Again, thanks in advance
Old 07-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #7

that sure looks like a bad converter. you should be getting around 13.6vdc at the batteries when connected to shore power. I don't know where it would be located on you motor home. but you say it is a 2017. is it still under warranty? if so dealer should replace converter. he will probably replace with the same one that is installed. you may or may not want to go that route. there are many posts here about some brands of converters failing or not working properly. if you have the option get one that has a smart charging ability (three stage or four stage). this will treat the batteries much better than a charger that only has a single output voltage.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #8

I suspect one or more bad batteries... anything less than 10 volts means a battery has discharged past the point where it will recharge and get back to 100% ever again

disconnect the battery lead POSITIVE (from coach wiring) from the battery bank, then measure the battery bank without that connection to the coach... that will tell you if the batteries are good by measuring just the batteries... you indicated 9.6 volts and I suspect that is what you will get

then measure from NEG battery terminal to the disconnected POSItIVE line while connected to shore power... that will tell you the voltage provided from the converter...

if that measures anything less than about 13 or more volts then possibly the converter is bad and is not charging...

typically the converter will NOT provide as much power and voltage to charge bad batteries as the engine alternator will which can provide up to 100 amps or more of 13.6 volts...

I suspect that bad batteries in the bank is pulling the converter 13 volt output down and possibly the converter is NOT bad, but one or more batteries are. An AUTOZONE will test the battery if you take it out of the coach and tell you if the battery has been damaged.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #9

Update all. Spoke to tech at dealer. Asked where converter was located. He suggested that one of the fuses might have gone bad. Found converter in shore power line storage bin, and it was unplugged from its 110 source. Sometimes it's the simple things we should check first. God bless you all for your assistance. Enjoyed the hunt and the help.