Old 01-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
Angry Dead bolt on Door Separated Jamming Door Closed

We own a 2015 GT 351DS and are very happy with it. However, on our second trip out we began having trouble with the door lock....we could turn the key, but the door wouldn't always open. On our third trip out, we couldn't get the door open at all. Fortunately, I was able to climb in through the drivers side window and work on it. Buy turning the key 40 or 50 times, we were able to get the door open. The deadbolt fell out onto the ground. The only thing holding the deadbolt in the door is a small metal rod/wire that moves the bolt from side to side (into the door jam and back). It isn't attached to the deadbolt, it just presses against a small divot in the deadbolt which, I suppose, is designed to keep the tiny rod in contact with the deadbolt. It didn't. Anyone else have this sort of trouble?

Have a good day!

sinksbsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:53 AM   #2
We had our handle break one week out of warranty and of course on a one week trip with friends staying with us. Fortunately I was on my way into the MH when I noticed the problem. On ours the lever on the handle that pulls open the bolt broke so we took it apart and used a strong finger to pull the latch open. The scary thing is if we had been stuck inside we would have not been able to get to the screws very easy to get the door open.
Easy fix if you decide to do it yourself. A lot of MH's use that door latch unit. Camping World carries it.

2014 Georgetown 351DS

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
I replaced the door latch on our Georgetown last summer with the Camping World latch and have been happy. As with the old one I have to check the screw tightness on a regular basis. All he use and jiggling going down the road tends to loosen them up even with a little locktite.
RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
I had a broken door latch on my last MH. My DW was on the inside and I was on the out side. We finally ordered one from tri mark and had it shipped to our location quick. It was 1/2 the price of camping world and they were out anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
Yes, that happened to us on our 2015 Salem Ultra Lite. The dead-bolt lock wouldn't open from the outside using the key. Ours had 2 locks (one for the latch, one for the dead bolt). Luckily, we got one of the windows open and I boosted my wife up and inside, and she had to take the door assembly loose to get the latch to open using a screw driver. One other item our dealer has to replace soon.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote