Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #1

Question Deal or No Deal

There is another active thread going on regarding the dreaded LCI steps and the many issues that have been associated with them. I wanted to start another thread to get some opinions from the world of Georgetown owners.

I have been in contact with Forest River, Kevin Stratton, since early June regarding failures with my steps and the danger they present at any given moment. I emailed pictures in of my broken steps. I did not hear from Kevin for over a month. I finally emailed again taking into account summer vacations and such. Kevin got back to me, apologized for forgetting about me and mentioning being tied up at Goshen and the FROG rally. He offered me replacement Kwikee Steps at $357 plus shipping. I thought that was a fair offer, until I read on this forum that they were replacing steps on rigs as old as mine (2011) for free. I emailed Kevin back to and asked seeing they were replacing LCI's free at Goshen and I didn't take the time or expense to travel there could they at least pick up the cost of freight. His response was due to age of my rig and me being the second owner the deal stands at $357 plus shipping. DEAL OR NO DEAL I ASK?

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #2

"May I speak with your manager?"

2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #3

Are the Kwikee Steps suppose to be better then the LCI steps? I have a 2014 Georgetown and I have the Kwikee Steps.
Days Camped 2014 - 83, 2015 - 56, 2016 - 58, 2017 - 86

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Retired US Army CW4

Are the Kwikee Steps suppose to be better then the LCI steps? I have a 2014 Georgetown and I have the Kwikee Steps.

I had the LCI steps on my 2014. After a couple of trips one of the bolts sheared off. I checked everything and found another bolt about ready to go. I contacted Forest River and they agreed to replace the steps at no charge. When I took the MH to the dealer they said all they could do was repair the broken bolts under warranty. Another call to Forest River and they sent an email to the dealer telling them they would pick up the cost. The steps were swapped out and there is a noticeable difference in the stability and operation of the steps. They don't have that "side-to-side" movement the LCI's had and they're very quiet when extending and retracting. It's been 8 months and I've never had a problem with the new steps.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #5

There seems to be enough evidence for a conclusion that the Lippert steps are hazardous and could cause injury. I think a letter to managment stating that this is a defective installation and that there is massive occurence of failure which can cause injury (backed by links to threads on the issue from around the web) and making a demand for a free replacement for ALL owners including yourself is the next step...with a copy to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC.gov) as your follow on option if they don't fess up to the problem they have and take care of you.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
There is another active thread going on regarding the dreaded LCI steps and the many issues that have been associated with them. I wanted to start another thread to get some opinions from the world of Georgetown owners.

I have been in contact with Forest River, Kevin Stratton, since early June regarding failures with my steps and the danger they present at any given moment. I emailed pictures in of my broken steps. I did not hear from Kevin for over a month. I finally emailed again taking into account summer vacations and such. Kevin got back to me, apologized for forgetting about me and mentioning being tied up at Goshen and the FROG rally. He offered me replacement Kwikee Steps at $357 plus shipping. I thought that was a fair offer, until I read on this forum that they were replacing steps on rigs as old as mine (2011) for free. I emailed Kevin back to and asked seeing they were replacing LCI's free at Goshen and I didn't take the time or expense to travel there could they at least pick up the cost of freight. His response was due to age of my rig and me being the second owner the deal stands at $357 plus shipping. DEAL OR NO DEAL I ASK?
If you do end up buying the steps, $357 is a great deal. If you have the 3-step version like me the costs run anywhere from $700 - $900. I see that PPL Motorhomes has the 3-step on sale right now for $695.00.

Kwikee RV Steps - Triple Electric - PPL Motor Homes
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #7

I just had the motor on my steps replaced at Driftwood RV in Capemay any they did something to my electric awning comes in slow my battery are dead and the lights are working funny taking it back tomorrow

2008 Georgetown XL 378 TS
Jack Durney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 AM   #8

I have LCI steps on my 2014 328TS. So far so good. They are a little wobbly. So were the steps in the unit I rented a year or so again, and same for most of the coaches I looked at while I was shopping. I picked up some step jacks and put those under the steps when I get set up. It makes the steps very solid. I'm on my fourth trip now.....maybe the LCI steps will fail on me. I hope not, but I've learned that having a lot of forum posts about a problem doesn't necessarily mean that there's a problem with most units. I've seen a whole lot of posts telling me I won't be able to stand driving my rig if I don't do the CHF (cheap handling fix)....I'm having zero problem with the handling of my rig without doing that mod.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #9

Scagsdale, my rig is a 2011, so it took a few years for problems to crop up. When I ordered my parts to fix mine I asked the C.S. girl if anything has been engineered better since my model year. Her lack of response was better than a direct answer to my question. My thought is I am going to buy the steps at $357 because if I have a total failure with them in another year or so then I'll be stuck paying full price on a replacement. The price is small to have the comfort of mine knowing I don't have to be forever leery of taking a header stepping out of the RV. Maybe I'll be able to sell my LCI's on Craigslist for $50.

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote