Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #1

Dealership experience

Hi everybody. My name is Sandy and we are about to go deal on a 2010 Forest River Georgetown 378TS. The dealer is asking $89,995 and the internet says MSRP is $128,995. Would we insult him if we offered $75,000 to start? This rig is in MINT condition with only 3,300 miles on it. Has too many options to list, including fireplace. We really want it but don't know a fair price is to both parties. Would really appreciate any experienced negotiators out there. Big step for us and want to do it right. Thanks for any and all advice. Looking forward to all the posts! Sandy
Sandy Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #2

There is always "wiggle room" at the dealership. They ask for two cookies and hope they get one. Stand firm, it's not about what they are asking but how much they are making on the deal.....MAKE SURE YOU GET A GOOD WARRANTEE AND DO THE WALK-THROUGH SEVERAL TIMES....Better yet, live in it a couple of days, on the lot if necessary, before you sign on the line.

You might want to ask this forum if anyone has had dealings with the dealership. There are folks out there more interested in putting a unit "over the curb" and could care less about the customer. My2cents
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #3

I would offer $75000 for sure, not that I know anything about MH prices, but when I bought my fifthwheel, new, I got 40% of mrsp without too much effort, so in your case what they are asking is is +- 40% off msrp, you should get a new 2012 for that, in theory. So for a 2010 there has to be some more movement downwards. JMO. Perhaps some MH owners can chime in.

Go on line to several dealers and see what is the best deal you can do on a 2012 model, at least it will give you a yard stick, you may also get a pleasant suprise.

All the best in your negotiations, be sure to let us know the outcome.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #4

Hey Boyd, Thanks for your input. This dealership is Simi RV in Simi Valley, Ca. Anyone had any dealings here? This rig is part of an "estate Sale". Don't know if that makes any difference. The factory warrantee is over except for the drive train. Sandy
Old 08-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #5

Thank you Nigel & Bev. Will let everyone know. We have a deposit on it as we can not get back there again until middle of month. Sandy
Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Farrar View Post
Hey Boyd, Thanks for your input. This dealership is Simi RV in Simi Valley, Ca. Anyone had any dealings here? This rig is part of an "estate Sale". Don't know if that makes any difference. The factory warrantee is over except for the drive train. Sandy
No warrantee, then for SURE put it through it's paces before you buy, if you buy. At the estate sale, the dealer probably picked it up for a song, maybe $50K. You could be getting a fantastic deal at $75K or a lemon at $50K. Personally, I would pay to have it independently inspected and then take it from there...Good luck.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
No warrantee, then for SURE put it through it's paces before you buy, if you buy. At the estate sale, the dealer probably picked it up for a song, maybe $50K. You could be getting a fantastic deal at $75K or a lemon at $50K. Personally, I would pay to have it independently inspected and then take it from there...Good luck.
Good advice

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #8

89,995 is what it sold for new in 2010 here in Memphis ,Tn. with a warrantee ,which is real inportant part of a motor home. Most dealers will fix the little problems but Elkhart is long way from you. Have it looked at by as many people as you can,list all things found wrong,then make a offer with the dealer fixing everthing.75,000 is a good start.I get this from a good friend that is a dealer here that sells Georgetown's as his bottom line.
louis cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #9

Sandy Farrar

Wait another month ...or two.. (( too hot outside anyways )) ... find the biggest RV show near you.
Have a look at the 2012s...some new designs & new tweaking has been done. In theory, this coach is already two (2) years old. How long has the dealer had it and where did he purchase it ??????????????

Mac

08 340 TS Georgetown SE
07 GL18007
www.centexpgr.org
mac wing is offline   Reply With Quote