Old 03-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #1

Decals Bubbling ALL over RV

I just got my 2012 351DS out of storage and look at what I found!....Maybe 100 bubbles ALL over my RV.I have taken nothing but great care of this RV....has anyone ever had this problem?....Did you get it fixed?....Was it under warranty?....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 21.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	71004   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 22.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	71005   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 20.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	71006   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 19.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	71007   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 24.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	71008  

Old 03-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #2

Chances are that a straight pin (pricking and pressing down) would be the tool used by a repair facility but you can do that and save time and travel. Of course it's your call. Don't think warming up will make them go away but maybe so.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #3

You have air under the decal causing this. Get a small pin and hair dryer. Slightly warm the area and Pop bubble. Use a credit card to smooth surface out. Saw a pro do this in a sign shop. If it is under warranty, this is what the dealer would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #4

yep, 3C is right. I make vinyl decals for sign shops and it is odd that they weren't there before and they appeared after storage. let it sit in the sun for a couple of days to get warm and re-check. That's a lot of bubbles to prick and flatten. If you chose to do that, put a piece of freezer paper over your decal before smoothing out the vinyl with your burnishing tool (credit card, squeegie, etc) so you don't make a mistake and catch the edge of your cc on a little hole and tear the vinyl.

However, if it's still under warranty, I would definitely contact them to repair. It should not be doing this and any holes/pin pricks you make may null that warranty repair.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Chances are that a straight pin (pricking and pressing down) would be the tool used by a repair facility but you can do that and save time and travel. Of course it's your call. Don't think warming up will make them go away but maybe so.
Bubbles I hate to disagree with you but that process would allow moisture to infiltrate in behind the bubble, My experience at 3M was when we put decals on trailers we would use a heat gun and a roller tool to shrink the vinyl to adhere to the siding of the trl. this will work in your case as well, it just takes a little patience to do all. Its cheap add effective.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
yep, 3C is right. I make vinyl decals for sign shops and it is odd that they weren't there before and they appeared after storage. let it sit in the sun for a couple of days to get warm and re-check. That's a lot of bubbles to prick and flatten. If you chose to do that, put a piece of freezer paper over your decal before smoothing out the vinyl with your burnishing tool (credit card, squeegie, etc) so you don't make a mistake and catch the edge of your cc on a little hole and tear the vinyl.

However, if it's still under warranty, I would definitely contact them to repair. It should not be doing this and any holes/pin pricks you make may null that warranty repair.
You're on the right track with the heat but easier to use a heat gun and roller like 3M does on their decals faster than waiting for the sun to maybe get the job done
Dick,
Old 03-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
WDK

......that sounds so scary to me.....I have tried that pin pricking idea on other stuff....not my coach and perhaps while a pro may do the same.....all it takes is one wrinkle in just one bubble to piss you off because unless you remove the decal and start all over, your only going to get one shot at each.

WDK
Old 03-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannelsonrn View Post
I just got my 2012 351DS out of storage and look at what I found!....Maybe 100 bubbles ALL over my RV.I have taken nothing but great care of this RV....has anyone ever had this problem?....Did you get it fixed?....Was it under warranty?....

Dean, 3M uses a low heat gun and a roller to get rid of the bubbles some you can role to the edge practice on an inconspicous spot this is what i do.
Dick,
Old 03-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post
......that sounds so scary to me.....I have tried that pin pricking idea on other stuff....not my coach and perhaps while a pro may do the same.....all it takes is one wrinkle in just one bubble to piss you off because unless you remove the decal and start all over, your only going to get one shot at each.

WDK
True pricking is not good it will allow moisture in behind and cause worse problem 3M uses a heat gun and a roller to get rid of the bubbles on the trailers we put decals on.
Dick,
Old 03-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
Team Bleu

My sister did on her FR3, FR replaced and it also need a paint job in places, swirl marks were coming thru the paint.