Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Decals Bubbling ALL over RV

I just got my 2012 351DS out of storage and look at what I found!....Maybe 100 bubbles ALL over my RV.I have taken nothing but great care of this RV....has anyone ever had this problem?....Did you get it fixed?....Was it under warranty?....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 21.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	71004   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 22.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	71005   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 20.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	71006   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 19.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	71007   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 24.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	71008  

deannelsonrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #2

Chances are that a straight pin (pricking and pressing down) would be the tool used by a repair facility but you can do that and save time and travel. Of course it's your call. Don't think warming up will make them go away but maybe so.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #3

You have air under the decal causing this. Get a small pin and hair dryer. Slightly warm the area and Pop bubble. Use a credit card to smooth surface out. Saw a pro do this in a sign shop. If it is under warranty, this is what the dealer would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Coach 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #4

yep, 3C is right. I make vinyl decals for sign shops and it is odd that they weren't there before and they appeared after storage. let it sit in the sun for a couple of days to get warm and re-check. That's a lot of bubbles to prick and flatten. If you chose to do that, put a piece of freezer paper over your decal before smoothing out the vinyl with your burnishing tool (credit card, squeegie, etc) so you don't make a mistake and catch the edge of your cc on a little hole and tear the vinyl.

However, if it's still under warranty, I would definitely contact them to repair. It should not be doing this and any holes/pin pricks you make may null that warranty repair.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Chances are that a straight pin (pricking and pressing down) would be the tool used by a repair facility but you can do that and save time and travel. Of course it's your call. Don't think warming up will make them go away but maybe so.
Bubbles I hate to disagree with you but that process would allow moisture to infiltrate in behind the bubble, My experience at 3M was when we put decals on trailers we would use a heat gun and a roller tool to shrink the vinyl to adhere to the siding of the trl. this will work in your case as well, it just takes a little patience to do all. Its cheap add effective.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
yep, 3C is right. I make vinyl decals for sign shops and it is odd that they weren't there before and they appeared after storage. let it sit in the sun for a couple of days to get warm and re-check. That's a lot of bubbles to prick and flatten. If you chose to do that, put a piece of freezer paper over your decal before smoothing out the vinyl with your burnishing tool (credit card, squeegie, etc) so you don't make a mistake and catch the edge of your cc on a little hole and tear the vinyl.

However, if it's still under warranty, I would definitely contact them to repair. It should not be doing this and any holes/pin pricks you make may null that warranty repair.
You're on the right track with the heat but easier to use a heat gun and roller like 3M does on their decals faster than waiting for the sun to maybe get the job done
Dick,
Old 03-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
WDK

......that sounds so scary to me.....I have tried that pin pricking idea on other stuff....not my coach and perhaps while a pro may do the same.....all it takes is one wrinkle in just one bubble to piss you off because unless you remove the decal and start all over, your only going to get one shot at each.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannelsonrn View Post
I just got my 2012 351DS out of storage and look at what I found!....Maybe 100 bubbles ALL over my RV.I have taken nothing but great care of this RV....has anyone ever had this problem?....Did you get it fixed?....Was it under warranty?....

Dean, 3M uses a low heat gun and a roller to get rid of the bubbles some you can role to the edge practice on an inconspicous spot this is what i do.
Dick,
Old 03-10-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post
......that sounds so scary to me.....I have tried that pin pricking idea on other stuff....not my coach and perhaps while a pro may do the same.....all it takes is one wrinkle in just one bubble to piss you off because unless you remove the decal and start all over, your only going to get one shot at each.

WDK
True pricking is not good it will allow moisture in behind and cause worse problem 3M uses a heat gun and a roller to get rid of the bubbles on the trailers we put decals on.
Dick,
Old 03-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Team Bleu

My sister did on her FR3, FR replaced and it also need a paint job in places, swirl marks were coming thru the paint.
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #11

Had some decals cracked and broken on our Salem and at the FROG Rally in Goshen 2 years ago the factory folks removed the bad decals and replaced with brand new. Have more that need attention at Goshen this year.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #12

I sure as h*** wouldn't use a "HEATGUN"!! Mine on low temp is 600 degrees...almost to the melting point of lead!!! If you don't know how to use a heat gun bubbles will be the least of your concerns.
I changed all my decals on my 2004 a while Cedar Crk. a while back and wound up with a few bubbles; par for the course. I took a razor blade, made a 1/8" cut, rolled out the air under the bubble and the tiny slit sealed up perfectly. I'm in Northern CA and since then I've been to Key west and Dawson City through all kinds of rain and foul weather...not a hint of water getting under the bubble. I think part of the trick is pressing the back of your finger nail over the area of the slit to really seal it will.
tyke8319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #13

Use a hairdryer and on low heat. Heat gun will get-to hot,

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Coach 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #14

Hair dryer on low don't use a heat gun it will melt the decal. Heat guns are for stripping paint and will remove the decal if you use it on them.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:51 PM   #15

Don't count on FR doing anything for you 2012? no chance......It will be your fault one way or another.
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Hair dryer on low don't use a heat gun it will melt the decal. Heat guns are for stripping paint and will remove the decal if you use it on them.

If you know what you're doing a heat gun on low won't burn decal but mi guess 3M does it wrong according to you guys here on the forum.
Dick,
Old 03-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannelsonrn View Post
Wow! You would think that the bubbles would have showed up before now.
I know I would be sick seeing that if I were you. Be sure to post what they say the cause might be and why just now showing up.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Wow! You would think that the bubbles would have showed up before now.
I know I would be sick seeing that if I were you. Be sure to post what they say the cause might be and why just now showing up.
Agree, fault now showing up is not air. Most likely it's moisture trapped in the space through out the storage period. Wall surfaces will allow moisture to migrate, up to the vinyl decal. Did you use DH or rid - ex?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky1243 View Post
If you know what you're doing a heat gun on low won't burn decal but mi guess 3M does it wrong according to you guys here on the forum.
Maybe using a professional grade heat gun and being a professional using it ok but very few here are professionals when it comes to this and a heat gun used by one who does't do this for a living could be costly. For most here use a hair dryer be smart. No where in my original comment said anything about pro's not knowing what they were doing I was simply stating play it safe.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #20

h

Brent and Gail
Royal Canadian Air Force - Retired - Sgt
2008 Georgetown 374ts
rampddc is offline   Reply With Quote