Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
Robert Strickland

direct TV

Georgetown XL 378. I am looking to install direct TV but the signal has to go directly to the receiver. so if I hook it up in the over head how do I get signal to the TV. My receiver only has an input coax. output is with a HDMI. Did anyone run an HDMI cable to the TV. if so how did you route it? I would like to find a way to hook the receiver up like the house. right behind the TV.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #2

In my 378 I am using a tripod portable directv dish. Cable goes to the port in the electric cargo Bay. The receiver is in the above cab cabinet on the right. But then I had to drape the HDMI cable to the TV. Not pretty but it works.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
Robert Strickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
In my 378 I am using a tripod portable directv dish. Cable goes to the port in the electric cargo Bay. The receiver is in the above cab cabinet on the right. But then I had to drape the HDMI cable to the TV. Not pretty but it works.
what did you do for the bedroom TV
Old 05-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
Robert Strickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
One other thing, did you have problems getting cable to work. On mine I have not gotten cable to work
rstrick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #5

I have the self seeking hd dish on top of my 378. On the top of motorhome front passenger side there is a removable plastic cap where the cable goes to the area where the switch box is. You can run cable through there and reseal with dicor or similar on top of all the screws holding it down. I put direc tv receiver in middle cabinet. When I purchased the motorhome I had the dealer run hdmi cable to tv over fireplace and to outside tv. They removed the plastic trim on passenger side of windshield then under carpet to near slide behind passenger seat then through floor to compartment in belly under slide then zip tied cable to the plastic conduit where electric wires run to electric fireplace then back up into tv area above fireplace. The fireplace is easily removed from front to gain access under tv. They put a hdmi spliter behind tv over fireplace and ran one short cable to tv above fireplace and the other through the wall to tv outside. I do not have hd in the bedroom but what I did was purchased a rf modulator at radio shack and ran the signal from direct tv box to it using the 3 rca connectors (two audio and one yellow video) from output of direc tv box to input of the modulator. I then hooked the rg cable that feeds the rear tv to the output of the modulator which feeds signal to tv from the rf modulator. I also bought an a/b splitter and hooked the feed from hdmi output of direct tv to side a and output of dvd player to side b then the hdmi cable that the dealer ran to front two tv's to the output of the hdmi a/b splitter. This allows watching both dvd and direct tv in hd in two front tv's. if you have a little money to spend you can also buy a wireless transmitter that the output from direct tv hdmi cable can hook to and wirelessly transmit signal to any of the tv's by hooking the receiver for the wireless hdmi transmitter to the usb port on any of your tv's this would keep you from having to run hdmi cables to the tv's and still be able to get hd signal to tv from direct tv box. You can google wireless hdmi transmitter and find them available on amazon. I chose the cheaper way and had the cable ran but the wireless may be worth the $$ if you want to avoid headache of running hdmi cables. This would also get you hdmi signal to bedroom tv from direct tv with extra hdmi receiver plugged into that tv's usb port and signal transmitted from transmitter in front of coach hooked to direct tv receiver.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
Robert Strickland

Thanks for the information more than anyone else
Old 05-15-2017, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrick11 View Post
One other thing, did you have problems getting cable to work. On mine I have not gotten cable to work
I have a cable continuity tester. I plugged one end in the electrical box connector and then on each cable as it went into the FR switch box. I actually moved the cable from the switch box directly to the receiver. I too had issues getting a signal thru the switch box.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvphil View Post
I have the self seeking hd dish on top of my 378. On the top of motorhome front passenger side there is a removable plastic cap where the cable goes to the area where the switch box is. You can run cable through there and reseal with dicor or similar on top of all the screws holding it down. I put direc tv receiver in middle cabinet. When I purchased the motorhome I had the dealer run hdmi cable to tv over fireplace and to outside tv. They removed the plastic trim on passenger side of windshield then under carpet to near slide behind passenger seat then through floor to compartment in belly under slide then zip tied cable to the plastic conduit where electric wires run to electric fireplace then back up into tv area above fireplace. The fireplace is easily removed from front to gain access under tv. They put a hdmi spliter behind tv over fireplace and ran one short cable to tv above fireplace and the other through the wall to tv outside. I do not have hd in the bedroom but what I did was purchased a rf modulator at radio shack and ran the signal from direct tv box to it using the 3 rca connectors (two audio and one yellow video) from output of direc tv box to input of the modulator. I then hooked the rg cable that feeds the rear tv to the output of the modulator which feeds signal to tv from the rf modulator. I also bought an a/b splitter and hooked the feed from hdmi output of direct tv to side a and output of dvd player to side b then the hdmi cable that the dealer ran to front two tv's to the output of the hdmi a/b splitter. This allows watching both dvd and direct tv in hd in two front tv's. if you have a little money to spend you can also buy a wireless transmitter that the output from direct tv hdmi cable can hook to and wirelessly transmit signal to any of the tv's by hooking the receiver for the wireless hdmi transmitter to the usb port on any of your tv's this would keep you from having to run hdmi cables to the tv's and still be able to get hd signal to tv from direct tv box. You can google wireless hdmi transmitter and find them available on amazon. I chose the cheaper way and had the cable ran but the wireless may be worth the $$ if you want to avoid headache of running hdmi cables. This would also get you hdmi signal to bedroom tv from direct tv with extra hdmi receiver plugged into that tv's usb port and signal transmitted from transmitter in front of coach hooked to direct tv receiver.
Great info on the working procedure. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #9

I took and entirely different route. I ran new cabling from the roof to the bay beneath the entertainment center, put in a splitter, ran a cable in the slide wiring harness to the living room tv and routed another cable to the bedroom tv. I also put a splitter in the bay beneath the bedroom tv so that a ground plane antenna can be used if needed. In the compartment under the living room tv I installed the power inserter to run the whole system. Sounds complicated but did the whole job in about 2 1/2 hours. We have stand alone satellite and use the park cable hookup for cable and also have the normal local channels. The roof top satellite control is in the cabinet with the surround system. While I was at it I also connected the tv audio out to the surround. Works great. Total cost about 25 bucks for wiring, 2 1/2 hours time and about 3 to 5 new words in my vocabulary.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
I took and entirely different route. I ran new cabling from the roof to the bay beneath the entertainment center, put in a splitter, ran a cable in the slide wiring harness to the living room tv and routed another cable to the bedroom tv. I also put a splitter in the bay beneath the bedroom tv so that a ground plane antenna can be used if needed. In the compartment under the living room tv I installed the power inserter to run the whole system. Sounds complicated but did the whole job in about 2 1/2 hours. We have stand alone satellite and use the park cable hookup for cable and also have the normal local channels. The roof top satellite control is in the cabinet with the surround system. While I was at it I also connected the tv audio out to the surround. Works great. Total cost about 25 bucks for wiring, 2 1/2 hours time and about 3 to 5 new words in my vocabulary.
You did all this routing but was any of the routed cables HDMI cables?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #11

Ran coax for satellite, hdmi from sat box to tv. Audio from tv to surround.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #12

With the right equipment the only HDMI cables you need are from the Genie to the TV and from the mini Genie to the backmof the second TV
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
With the right equipment the only HDMI cables you need are from the Genie to the TV and from the mini Genie to the backmof the second TV

Correct. All coax coming in to the sat boxes.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #14

You could buy an HDMI transmitter/receiver units so you don't have to run and cable.
What I did though was run cables under entertainment slide out so I could connect the HD satellite dish. If I had to do it again I would go with my first suggestion.
If you need ideas I think I have pictures.