Old 07-13-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
Retired Ford Tech

Question Direct TV Genie

I have a 2008 GT350TS. Has Anyone upgraded to Direct TV Genie. Can it be done without a lot of modifications?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #2

I will reply but it probably won't be complete. I do not know the details of your equipment. I have a winegard travel'r antenna on the roof with a two cables coming into the trailer. one is a control cable that connects to the winegard satellite control box. the other is a coax cable that uses the direct tv swm technology. it connects to the power inserter box. then there is a coax from the power inserter box to the genie receiver. this works! i had a wireless video bridge connected in the coax cable that runs from the power inserter to the genie and i used this to run a mini genie remote in the bedroom. it worked but then one day the whole system didn't work. i called direct tv support and once they found out it was an rv they immediately said they couldn't support it. but i talked to the guy and he recommended putting the video bridge on a separate coax coming out of a splitter. i have a small splitter on order. but i do not think this is the issue. once we got to the next rv park thing worked ok. so yes it will work, but do not expect any help or support from direct tv. but there are quite a few posts on the internet from both direct tv and winegard that i have read and studied. the biggest exposure i see is if something were to go wrong with either the antenna or the equipment. you really do not have anybody to turn to to get help or get a replacement. direct tv will not help!!!

Old 07-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
Retired Ford Tech

Direct TV sounds a lot like the RV industry. They were ready to upgrade me to the tune of 300.00 and another 15 bucks a month, but I see there is no support after the sale. Sound familiar?? I think I'll just keep what I have.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #4

Direct TV now has a wireless Genie. No need to have cables. This may be a solution.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
Gold Miner At Heart

I have the genie at home. Can record 4 shows at the same time while watching another.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #6

I failed to mention what I am doing in my RV. I am using a wireless HDMI transmitter. I connected it to the Direct TV receiver and transmit the HD signal to my bedroom TV.