Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #1

Direct TV receiver to TV issue

I have a new direct dish setup with the cable going into the electrical bay at the drivers rear on our 378. I have the coax leading to the direct TV receiver. But the receiver has a coax in by no out. Has RCA and HDMI out only - but I need to attach the coax that runs to the TV. How to do this?
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #2

My Direct Receiver has to connect to the TV via HDMI..........

why do you have to connect via coax?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #3

I want to use the existing coax that goes from the front cabinet above the passenger seat to the TV in the slide. My alternative is to"string" an HDMI across the area. It would then require it being installed/uninstalled every time we move and it would look ugly.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #4

Had the same issue in our coach as it is only wired with coax. Receiver has no coax out, but has 1 HDMI and 1 RCA output. I used the only HDMI for my living room tv. I purchased a Nyrius transmitter on Amazon which works great through the RCA output. It's not HD, but works good and the price is reasonable. Good luck.

NY-GS10 5.8GHz 4 Channel Wireless Audio/Video Sender Transmitter & Receiver
Old 10-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #5

Yeah, that's a sore spot for 378 owners with no HDMI prewire installed. I have Dish and the VIP211K receiver and it has a coax output so not an issue for me (use an A/B switch and only get SD viewing). The RCA output could be used if that is routed to the overhead from the TV but it probably is used for your DVD input if it is. You could move the receiver to the TV location but would need to connect the TV coax and park cable together in the overhead to eliminate the splitter then run the receiver HDMI out to the TV. That would make for a dedicated source input for that TV though. Of course there is the wireless HDMI systems. There are inventive other ways that may not be to your liking. Others will probably chime in.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #6

I got a RCA to coax converter at Walmart and used the sat input on the switch in the cabinet above drivers chair

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #7

It's called a RF modulator

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1475951110.737429.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  92.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #8

Have draped an HDMI cable. Setup sees no signal, but I don't know which dish I have for setup. Guess I will wait til Monday to call seller to proceed. This is the dish:
DIRECTV HD SL5 Satellite Kit for Camping Rving or Tailgating With SWM Dish (RVSATKIT-DTVHD-SWM)
Anyone know what the setting is?
Old 10-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #9

it is tricky to set the dish to the correct spot in the sky to pickup a signal, and the spot has to be tree-free in the line of sight from dish to sat... do you have the correct coordinates to point the dish from your location? The dish setup in the receiver will tell you what those coordinates are if you know your zip code. Then all you need is an accurate compass and a way to sight the correct angle in the sky and point the dish that direction. You also need a power supply in-line from the receiver to the dish plugged into 120AC because you said you have the SWM dish.

there is a setting in the dish setup (reciever) that notes which sat dish you have... you have that information as you posted it... just make sure the receiver is set for that dish combo...

there is much trial and error if you have never done a dish align before... your margin for error is very small

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #10

Rsdata... Thanks. I think it will be easier after the first time. I will continue the research. I do have the settings based on zip, direction, angle and tilt. Just frustrating as I guess you don't know when you have it right until it all of a sudden it works!
Old 10-08-2016, 10:55 PM   #11

yes, although as you position the dish you may or may not see the numbers climb from 0 toward 99 on the one receiver screen...

I would always setup a small table next to the dish with the receiver and 19" TV, so I could get immediate feedback on repositioning the dish, instead of running back and forth into the trailer...

I also got smart and bought the tripod from
TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod

They have some good advise on their website. I find that a good center bubble level to get your tripod perfectly level and the pole perfectly vertical is key to getting the other settings right... after 3 outings I was able to get a signal from start of setup to finish in about 15-20 min... but that was after a number of hours of frustration the first 2-3 times and lots of "practice" at home before I left. I move about 7-8 times each winter as I travel around FL.

One of my last 2 week camp setups last March in FL, I swore I could find a hole in the leaves on the trees to get a signal... I worked on and off for 3 days, before I was finally able to get 80% on most of the signals, which was "good enough" for that campsite... as I was tired of fooling with the dish... moving it around under the tree canopy...

again good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #12

On my 378 I use a wireless HDMI to go from the receiver to the TV, it comes with a HDMI wireless transmitter and receiver. It involves removing the TV to plug in the HDMI wireless receiver to the back of the TV. The HDMI transmitter was installed in the upper cabinet (where the original coax comes in) attached to the satellite receiver and plugged into the 120V outlet. It works really well.

The dish is a pain to place correctly sometimes I have a wineguard portable. I have DISH, my satellite is in the SW sky, so I make sure there are no obstructions that direction. The instructions should indicate how the dish should be located, on mine you place the coax input area to the North, the dish does the rest if there are no obstructions.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #13

HDMI wireless sounds like a good way to go! Didn't know such a device was available. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #14

X2 on the wireless HDMI instead of messing around with coax or running a new HDMI cable. I have one in our 377 and it works well. Mine is an Actiontec. Simple setup. I've had to unplug the power to the transmitter and receivers a couple of times in the last 6 months to get it to re-synch. No big deal. We have Dish, so we are getting HD to the tv with this arrangement. Happy with it so far.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #15

This is the wireless HDMI I purchased to use in our 335. I keep this transmitter in the passenger overhead with the DIRECTV receiver and just move the receiver to the main, bedroom or outside TV as needed. Works great but a little pricy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #16

You could buy a wireless HDMI transmitter with 2 or even 3 receivers. As for pointing the satellite dish I use a smartphone app that shows you where to point the dish in the sky. It even uses the phones camera so you can see the sky while pointing it. As for the a azimuth and skew it does that also. I don't even use a level but just come close to leveling it by eye sight. Sometime I will use the cheap satellite meter to help locating the signal. Most of the time I can set it up in 5 minutes.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #17

360True... have a look at the "mod" I did and talked about here. It works....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-118065-3.html
Old 10-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #18

Success! If you don't know how to do something, ask your neighbor! A new neighbor helped me adjust the dish and tweak it. All good now! Thanks everyone!
Old 10-12-2016, 09:52 PM   #19

Direct tv

What I did was ask for a coax receiver or SD. After a big discussion with Direct tv the key words are"coax receiver" . It works great with exsisting wiring without going crazy with hdmi canles picture is great.
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:34 AM   #20

Ahh, now I understand the problem. DirecTV is phasing out SD and with it receivers that offer coax "F" connectors on the output. All my receivers are old and SD and have that feature. RVs are designed for coax distribution.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote