Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #1

Dish Playmaker

I just bought a Dish Playmaker and receiver for my 2018 Georgetown 369XL. I know I can hook it up directly to the TV's but is there a way to connect it outside? Would that give me service on all the TV's? Where is the outside connection and is it setup for cable to satellite? I see there is a switch in the cabinet above the passenger seat. Would I connect it there or outside or directly to the TV?

Thanks in advance.

Fred
fclark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
JBP

On my 369 XL 2018 it's back in the back where the 50 amp cord is. That's the location for the external antenna. What I had to do was after I hooked it up and got the main TV working. I had to go to that silly switch and figure out what cable had to go into what port to get it to go to the different TVs. I could never get it to go to the outside TV. The problem you have is with the dish that you're using I believe has the capability of two receivers. There's only one connection on the back of the coach so you can only make one selection. I had FR send me the wiring for the TVs so I would know. On mine there was a loose Cable in the overhead upfront. That cable was if you mount the receiver scratch that the antenna permanently on the roof. Do you have HDMI connections to all of your TV's or is it coax?
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #3
JBP

I go the year wrong for my coach. I should have said 2016 XL369.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 09-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
I go the year wrong for my coach. I should have said 2016 XL369.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get it working.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #5
JBP

The answer to your other question was there is one connection at the back of the coach for both cable and satellite dish. Depending on the switch up front in your coach is where things go to. You have to run a cable to the receiver and then back to the switch. Yours is 2 years newer than mine Force River may have made significant changes. If you have a switch you need to play with it until you understand what's going to wear. I will see if I can scan the wiring diagram Forest River sent me and send it to you if I can figure out how to put it on this forum.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 09-23-2017, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fclark00 View Post
I just bought a Dish Playmaker and receiver for my 2018 Georgetown 369XL. I know I can hook it up directly to the TV's but is there a way to connect it outside? Would that give me service on all the TV's? Where is the outside connection and is it setup for cable to satellite? I see there is a switch in the cabinet above the passenger seat. Would I connect it there or outside or directly to the TV?

Thanks in advance.

Fred
What receiver do you have, VIP211K/VIP211Z or Wally?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
JBP

we have two 211Ks for our Pathway dish. I bought the mounting plate but decided to leave it portable. May mount it some day.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 09-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #8

Notice the question is for the OP?
Old 09-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
What receiver do you have, VIP211K/VIP211Z or Wally?
I have the Wally.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #10

Quote:
I have the Wally.
The reason I asked is you will be limited to where you want the receiver due to the Wally being HDMI output only. The wally uses an RF remote so behind walls etc. is not an issue but the HDMI could be. I don't think the Georgetown's are prewired with HDMI cabling, mine isn't but is an older model. Wireless HDMI is available. Does this drawing represent your coach?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GT 360 TV.pdf (301.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #11

Thanks for letting me know I might have to buy a wireless HDMI transmitter.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know I might have to buy a wireless HDMI transmitter.
The VIP211K receiver outputs coax and HDMI but with coax only will get SD viewing and the remote is IR generated. There is a VIP211Z receiver but like the Wally only outputs HDMI and the remote is IR generated.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #13

The key install is the direct coax input from the antenna to the receiver. After the receiver splitters are not an issue. The dish Playmaker will not accommodate 2 receivers so all TV's will get the same programing.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #14
JBP

Ours coach is not HDMI wired.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 09-23-2017, 07:11 PM   #15

I went to the coach and found the coax input in the back storage compartment of the RV. Then I realized I think I needed a second coax to connect the wally to the compartment to the powered input above the passenger seat in the storage compartment. Is this right? I didn't have a second coax cable to test it out. How does the antenna get power from the back storage coax input since it doesn't seem to be powered?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #16

Quote:
I went to the coach and found the coax input in the back storage compartment of the RV. Then I realized I think I needed a second coax to connect the wally to the compartment to the powered input above the passenger seat in the storage compartment. Is this right? I didn't have a second coax cable to test it out. How does the antenna get power from the back storage coax input since it doesn't seem to be powered?
The antenna is powered via the coax cable from the receiver to the antenna. No other power wiring is required. For satellite viewing that back storage compartment coax input needs to go from the antenna to the receiver direct without any interruptions (splitters etc.) and from the receiver to the TV via HDMI. As a note that back storage compartment is typically the park cable input port but can also be used for satellite if the afore mentioned connection can be made.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #17

Quote:
The antenna is powered via the coax cable from the receiver to the antenna. No other power wiring is required. For satellite viewing that back storage compartment coax input needs to go from the antenna to the receiver direct without any interruptions (splitters etc.) and from the receiver to the TV via HDMI. As a note that back storage compartment is typically the park cable input port but can also be used for satellite if the afore mentioned connection can be made.
So I plugged the playmaker dish into the back storage compartment input and it didn't work. I could not get any kind of satellite reception. Then I plugged the playmaker coax directly into the receiver and the receiver into the tv and I was able to get it to work fine. I checked the box above the passenger side seat and it was set to satellite. Could the input in the back storage compartment be the problem? Maybe it wasn't wired correctly?
Old 09-24-2017, 09:03 PM   #18

What did you connect to the receiver?
Old 09-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #19

The connection in the aft compartment goes to that selector box in the overhead. There are 4 connections on the back of that selector box (3 are inputs: antenna/cable/sat-aux). The 4th connection is the output to a splitter. You must remove the cable input to that box and connect that to your sat receiver and then you will have to connect the receiver HDMI output to the TV. The sat-aux selection has no function and there probably isn't a connection on the back of the selector box for sat. The cable that is normally connected to the selector box is the satellite prep cable from the roof feed for a roof mounted antenna if you ever install one.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:46 PM   #20

Quote:
The connection in the aft compartment goes to that selector box in the overhead. There are 4 connections on the back of that selector box (3 are inputs: antenna/cable/sat-aux). The 4th connection is the output to a splitter. You must remove the cable input to that box and connect that to your sat receiver and then you will have to connect the receiver HDMI output to the TV. The sat-aux selection has no function and there probably isn't a connection on the back of the selector box for sat. The cable that is normally connected to the selector box is the satellite prep cable from the roof feed for a roof mounted antenna if you ever install one.
Thank you! I will try that!