Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #1

Dish TV and RCA Surround Sound

I have a 2011 378 with the RCA Surround Sound. The TV is not hooked up to work on surround sound, only the TV speakers. I have a Dish HD system, and wondered if I ran RCA speaker cables from the empty speaker out jacks on the Dish box to the aux in on the RCA unit it would work. Has anyone tried this? It is a simple experiment I intend to try.

Thanks, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
I have a 2011 378 with the RCA Surround Sound. The TV is not hooked up to work on surround sound, only the TV speakers. I have a Dish HD system, and wondered if I ran RCA speaker cables from the empty speaker out jacks on the Dish box to the aux in on the RCA unit it would work. Has anyone tried this? It is a simple experiment I intend to try.

Thanks, Forrest
I used RCA cables from the TV speaker out jacks to the aux in jacks on the RCA surround sound. I used the two RCA (red and white) cables that Forrest River ran from the surround sound to the TV for that. Only the yellow cable needs to be connected to the TV from the surround sound because the surround sound speakers are wired directly to the surround sound itself. It works great for me. On my TV you can shut off the internal speakers and the volume is controlled by the surround sound. One thing though, you need to set the surround sound to stereo and not surround sound when watching just the TV. Otherwise, the speaking voices are overwhelmed by all the other sounds from the surround sound. You can always switch it back to suuround sound when watching a DVD.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #3

We have the same rig and I found that the TV audio out (on the TV itself) is sent directly to the RCA surround sound system. Change the input on the RCA to AUX IN and the TV will play thru the RCA. I found that if I turn the TV volumn down to a "2" then control the RCA volumn for a comfortable level that it works great. Also I set the "surround" to stereo and it sounds great.

I guess I should add that we have DirecTV. The box is located in the area under the TV and is connected to the TV via a HDMI cable.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
We have the same rig and I found that the TV audio out (on the TV itself) is sent directly to the RCA surround sound system. Change the input on the RCA to AUX IN and the TV will play thru the RCA. I found that if I turn the TV volumn down to a "2" then control the RCA volumn for a comfortable level that it works great. Also I set the "surround" to stereo and it sounds great.

I believe that's exactly what I said, only on mine the the jacks were not connected to the audio out on the TV but to the audio in, so I had to move them to the audio out on the TV and again move the other ends from audio out to aux. in on the RCA. Some TV's, like the Toshiba that mine came with, do not have the feature to shut off the internal speakers and switch the audio to the audio out jacks only. My unit came with a 32" Toshiba and a friend of mines 378 made 3 mos. later came with a 40" Toshiba. When I saw that I purchased a 40" Phiillips and installed it on the TV shelf and the Phillips does have that feature.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #5

Lostdog, thanks for the input, mine went back into the shop this morning for more warranty repairs, soon as it gets home I will give that a try. Easier than plugging in a couple of more wires!!

Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote