Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #1

DIY cheap door strut repair

I know many of us have had the ball end ripped off the door strut by a sudden gust of wind. I looked at getting metal threaded ball end replacements but decided that I would rather have the ball end fail than destroy the door.

I got a dozen GSB® Nylon ball joint end fittings for Nitrogen gas support struts at amazon for $11.29 with free shipping.

Fit like a charm, took 2 minutes to install, and I have 11 spares in my tool bag for the next time.

I noticed they were no longer available so sign up to be notified when they get more.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #2

Thanks for the info and posting the link. I was able to fix mine by attaching a larger thread to the end of the strut, but I will definitely order these when they are available.

Thanks,

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:13 PM   #3

Do you have to replace the strut also?
Gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:33 AM   #4

That was the same thing that happened to me day one. I bought the ends at my local RV Parts house. I think it is a common replacement part. There was nothing wrong with the shock so I simply replaced the one end. The package came with 2 so now I have a spare. I think that spare will work almost any size of shock through the coach.

The hard part would have been what to call it - for which I still can't remember - but bring the part in was the easiest way to replace. I suspect you might find at a car parts place or even an Lowes or Home Depot.

Hope my comments help.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, repair