Old 04-12-2016, 11:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrnewton View Post
I installed koni fsd front and rear. A much more comfortable ride. Also installed rear trac bar, rear sway bar, and safe t plus. Glad I spend the money.
Did you install the Koni yourself? Simple bolt on?

trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #22

No had ford dealer do shocks and sway bar. I am handy but u need a lift in my opinion.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #23

I have had the FSD shocks installed in my 2251sl and they made a big difference in the ride on rough roads and also had a safety plus steering stabilizer. The only thing that still effects my control is strong side winds. If you do just the fronts your back shocks won't keep up and the ride will be worse. That's what I did and going North on 95 to Va. the ride was awful and soon as I got home I had the rears installed. Shocks are relatively easy to install if you have a heavy enough chassis jack and impact tools, unless you want to lay on your back. Much easier to pay a few bucks and have them done, just my opinion.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
what happens if I put a steel rod in place of the shock
You will be back to the buckboard days--one very rough ride!!! You have negated the springs.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #25

that is what I was saying really, better springs means less side to side movement, weaker springs more side to side

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
You will be back to the buckboard days--one very rough ride!!! You have negated the springs.
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Shock absorbers push down, not up. That's what keeps the rubber to the road.
Actually, shocks are bidirectional, working in both directions. The weight of the vehicle and the springs keep down pressure on the tires. If you take a new shock and extend the piston, it holds in that position. It takes the same pressure to retract the piston and stops in the position when there is no pressure. It's the valve pressure and piston size within the shock that differentiates the stiffness to smooth out the spring movement.Worn out shocks have lost the ability control up/down movements.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #27

Koni FSD shocks self adjust the ride by the way they'r valved. Heavier springs would give you a harsher ride.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #28

I love it. Seems it's the same ten of use telling each other the same stories we've all told to each other a dozen times. Here's my hat in the ring: I've spent $3,200 on front and rear heavy duty Roadmaster anti-sway bars, rear tracbar, and front steering stabilizer. Together, it all gave me what I call "moderate" improvement. By the way, if you have any DIY experience, the front anti-sway bar and the steering stabilizer are a piece of cake...just about four bolts go into predrilled holes. But, watch yourself on the rear tracbar - lots of work attaching it to the frame and differential. And the rear anti-sway bar is just a bit harder to put in place, but it takes about 400# of torque to get it off and back on. That took two of us with an 8' breaker bar and a lot of grief. Still, I have 19.5" wheels which probably limits the amount of improvement I'm going to get...just a guess.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Actually, shocks are bidirectional, working in both directions. The weight of the vehicle and the springs keep down pressure on the tires. If you take a new shock and extend the piston, it holds in that position. It takes the same pressure to retract the piston and stops in the position when there is no pressure. It's the valve pressure and piston size within the shock that differentiates the stiffness to smooth out the spring movement.Worn out shocks have lost the ability control up/down movements.
Yeah it does that by trying to keep the tire on the road. Springs are for body movement. Remove a shock and drive over a railroad track and see what happens to your tires as apposed to the chassis. I think the size of the blow by ports in the shock determines a lot of this. Oh well, I'm done here.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #30

Did aftermarket front and rear sway bar, front and rear maxi sumo Springs and true center on front. This should be done in my option.