Old 06-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
Do You Ever Feel Like Throwing In The Towel?

This season of camping will be our ninth season of RV'ing for my DW and me. Every year begins with another level of excitement around mid January as we start to plan the coming camping season. Deciding where to go for trips, long 3 day weekends, extended 5 day outings and at least one two week journey to some fantastic place we've never been to. Also, we plan several local get-away's at our two great state parks, one being on the banks of Lake Erie and the other on the banks of Lake Ontario, just below Niagara Falls. From these SP's we will commute back and forth to work. Last week was the first of these local-cations. I actually took our Georgetown and tow to work to get a jump on getting to the campground as fast as possible from work. Check in, un-hook car at the office, stop and fill water tank, pull up to camp site and un-hook dolly and roll into spot I always put it when we get this same camp site. Now just back in the rig, set camp and open a cold beer. EXCEPT that I didn't see the 2" diameter tree branch hanging as I cut the corner backing into the site. RIIIPP! Pull forward and jump out to see what happened, it appears that the branch caught the bedroom slide topper and ripped it. Oh well, S... happens. Re-adjust angle and have a helluva time lining up and backing in, but finally get it right. Jump out to put blocks under the jacks and look at slide topper again and now I notice my main awning ripped out and pushed to the right about 4 inches! All that's holding it on is one well bent mounting bolt that held its ground valiantly to prevent the whole thing from being totally ripped off! Well I leveled and put down jacks, opened a beer and just sat there wondering how I could screw up backing into a site I've been at maybe 8 or 9 times. DW met me there, I just pointed up and said nothing. Had a very quiet evening, next morning packed up the RV, attach dolly and load car and left. I didn't feel like camping ever again!

One week later, we are set up camp at the Lake Ontario park, commuting to work where I right this. Parts are ordered and may be in by the end of the week for repair early next week. Cost $1300 with labor and tax.

I know the nature of RV'ing will always present challenges. I was and to some degree more po'd at myself for messing up our beloved motor home than the damage to it and cost. My immediate thoughts were I don't need this aggravation and I'm done with camping and RV'ing. How many fellow RV'ers have felt the same way after a miss-hap has caused second doubts??? Dear Wife and I are still all in on camping I am happy to say.

2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Closest we've been (only been campering five years now) was after our accident last winter. We were unharmed, but our fiver went over on its side. My dw is more concerned with our children never having to go through that again. She didn't really want to replace the fiver, but after some long talks, and taking it was an accident, we're camping again. I was just talking to a couple friends about the frustrations of a camper. The tires, maintenance, little things that need repair, etc etc, and I think you gotta really love camping to deal with all that and keep coming back for more. But I do, and will just deal with the crap along the way.

Happy Fixin. Happy modding. Happy frustratin. Happy credit-cardin. Happy campin!

Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
jtstromsburg, Ditto Happy.....!
2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
We did, last December. 8 mpg on $4/gallon and $50 campground fees got to be too much on a SocSec budget. When we started out with our old Class C, gas was $1.50 and CGs were $15.

We only did two trips in 2013 and didn't go out at all in '14. Just too big a drain on our resources.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
Sorry for your issues. But with your size of a RIG I would not be stating in state parks. I have two three 5er over the years with the first being only 30' and the next were and are over 35'. When I jumped to the longer 5er's I gave up on state parks and small sites. I am will to spend the $$ for a private campground that trims their trees to save wear and tear on my 5er.

I always use RV PARK Reviews and see what others have sais about the campsite. I also list my size as 40'/3three slides when picking out a site. Why it is easier to get in when backing up.

Just my very humble opinion.
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
Ready to Go
Sorry to hear about the damage Serman12... I know it can take the wind out of your sails to have a relaxing time and if you wanna do it again. Recently (April) on our way to our granddaughters birthday we blew a tire and it ripped the side of our 5th wheel off around the tire and all the wiring off the I beam. Stuck along I-4 close to Orlando for 5 hours.. no tow company would touch us.. I had the HWY Patrol block a lane for me so I could take the tire off and limp off to a safe place to work on it. My wife and I swore up and down that was it.. for sale now! 5k later we went again to the Keys (May).. coming home on HWY 1 one more blow out.. this time we are determined to overcome and camp with no issues.. now after replacing all the Marathon tires we are ready to go again. Don't let it get you down Sherman12.. we all know the rewards of camping out way that monster trying to get you to stop. :-)
The Lessmiller's

2001 F250 SD 7.3 Turbo
2013 Sanibel 39' 5th wheel.
JeffLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #7
2003 Georgetown 325
I commiserate with your tragedy. I'm new to rv'ing; only two year+ but I have come to the conclusion fairly quickly that my rv is just a hole in the road that I keep putting money into. Not that I mind because I love to travel. BUT one has to be ready and realize that this THING OF OURS does come with a cost. . . unfortunately.
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
Paradise has arrived!
I used to joke that an rv was a poor man's condo. Not anymore. I think it costs more to use and maintain an rv....but it's worth every dollar.
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Paradise115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
My DW and I have been camping since 1970. Like you there have been problems with trees jumping out an catching awnings. What really made us think about stopping RV'ing was in 2012 when we were run off a narrow bridge by an 18 wheeler. Our TV rolled 3 times, and our TT ended up on it's side (luckily the hitch broke off the TV). But, we survived and thought it might be a message that we had camped long enough. But we enjoy camping with our second family RV members and decided to keep RV'ing. We are glade we did.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
I carry loping shears and small buck saw I'll trim trees if they don't want to.

Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote