Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #21

Thanks to this forum, I invested in the Progressive Ind. 30 amp portable surge protector. I appreciate everyone's advise and input. I admit to being challenged in the electrical department!!!
I have a question on it's use ---Most campgrounds I have booked have 30 amp service. NYS parks usually have 20amp service which requires an adaptor to hook up. Will I be able to use that adaptor and use the surge protector? Thanks everyone for the advise.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #22
Columbus 302 rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Why I use both, surge protection and an autotransformer.

With these power controllers, as stated, your first indication of a problem is "shutdown." While this may save you from total system failure, it won't protect your microwave or airconditioner from a low voltage brown out (due to heavy use at the park) that does not drop below the cutout voltage (typically 104 volts).

105 VAC will destroy your air conditioner compressor over time and your magnetron may become unreliable or burn out due to higher than normal current from the low voltage.

An autotransformer will boost the incoming park voltage and keep it in the safe range (at the expense of current if it needs to do that). At a pretty high end resort in Miami (the one near the Everglades) there were so many campers running their ACs 24/7 that park power when we hooked up was at 108 volts. At 108 volts, I hooked up my Franks unit and it went right into high boost and voltage to the camper went right up to a comfortable 126 volts AC and my air conditioner ran perfectly.
Doesn't an autotransformer have surge protection built into it?
I would think with an autotransformer you would not need an additional surge supressor. I'm more than a newbie for sure awaiting delivery of fifth wheel and this forum provides lots of info on what to watch out for and learn about.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms1960 View Post
Thanks to this forum, I invested in the Progressive Ind. 30 amp portable surge protector. I appreciate everyone's advise and input. I admit to being challenged in the electrical department!!!
I have a question on it's use ---Most campgrounds I have booked have 30 amp service. NYS parks usually have 20amp service which requires an adaptor to hook up. Will I be able to use that adaptor and use the surge protector? Thanks everyone for the advise.
Yes it would. Camper to progressive, then adapter to 20 amp post. Looks for all the same issues.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #24

Final Installation

I installed the wired in version of the Progressive Power Management System this morning. Took about an hour but I'm a electrician so it may take you longer.
I mounted it below my transfer switch. Wiring was a little tight especially the output side with the 2 current coils. Here are a few pictures of the final installation as well as my new way to store my 50 amp cable in the compartment.

Here is what it looks like wired without readout module installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new 001.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	16497   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 002.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	16498   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 007.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	16499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	16500  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #25

Looks good. It is a little tight with the coils. Nice thing if it ever takes a major strike oe needs repair they send you a new board and you just have to plug it in. Here's a pic of mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Camper 004.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	16503  
Old 08-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #26

Surge protector worth the money. check camping world web site for sales on the weekend, they drop the price quite a bit, saved over $100.00 on mine.
SnowBird9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #27
B47

Iggy - a little late to the party - but I brought the Surge Guard shortly after buying our FW and also after reading what the folks on this forum said about them. I got the 50 amp model at CW.

WE went from Texas to California this past July and the temps in NM, AZ and NV were very high. I didn't experience any brownouts ay the CG's we stayed at, but I was glad to have it for insurance.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Iggy - a little late to the party - but I brought the Surge Guard shortly after buying our FW and also after reading what the folks on this forum said about them. I got the 50 amp model at CW.

WE went from Texas to California this past July and the temps in NM, AZ and NV were very high. I didn't experience any brownouts ay the CG's we stayed at, but I was glad to have it for insurance.
It bears repeating that most high end surge suppressors will protect you from a severe brownout (by disconnecting you from the power source). BUT, some high end ones won't automatically reconnect you when the power plumps up. (check whether yours will) You should always keep your propane open because if you brown out shutdown your propane will keep your food cold till you get back.

The surge suppressor will also protect you when power returns rapidly (a surge spike). This is typical when a brown out is not severe enough (or long enough) to trip you off line; yet has a spike coming back up.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #29
B47

Quote:
It bears repeating that most high end surge suppressors will protect you from a severe brownout (by disconnecting you from the power source). BUT, some high end ones won't automatically reconnect you when the power plumps up. (check whether yours will) You should always keep your propane open because if you brown out shutdown your propane will keep your food cold till you get back.

The surge suppressor will also protect you when power returns rapidly (a surge spike). This is typical when a brown out is not severe enough (or long enough) to trip you off line; yet has a spike coming back up.
Lou - A good point. I will check my manual to see if it has a reconnect feature. Also the propane is something I never thought about and thanks for that one too.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Lou - A good point. I will check my manual to see if it has a reconnect feature. Also the propane is something I never thought about and thanks for that one too.
Did I mention the Franks Autotransformer will reconnect on dropout if the voltage drops too low to safely boost?

Here is my new "mount" with voltmeters. The following photo was how I used to use it (under the camper). It is water resistant but not water proof. (A little rain won't hurt it but if it sits in a puddle it will eventually short out.)

Oh, and the yellow light is telling me my ground lug on my 30 amp garage socket is corroded. Need to make a trip to Lowes again for a new one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1370.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	18963   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1067.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	18964  
Old 08-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #31
B47

Quote:

Lou and others - I checked the on line Surge Guard Model 34750 manual (I couldn't cut and paste it) and here it what it says:

"Time Delay Indication - Once power is restored to a safe range, the red light will flash for 128 seconds before power is restored to the RV. This allows head pressure to bleed off the A/C compressor."

So I believe that this SP will restore power if and when it nay be interupted.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #32

Here is the features of my Power Monitor System

Here is the features of my Power Monitor System

EMS-LCHW50
Surge Protector with Voltage Protection
Hardwired for 50amp RV's

High/Low Voltage Protection: Whenever AC power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. The EMS will monitor the power and once the AC power rises above 104 volts, or below the 132 volt level, the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to the RV.

Time Delay for A/C Compressor:If the AC power isinterrupted, or the EMS detects a fault condition, the built-in time delay is activated. There are tow settings on the EMS: one is 136 seconds (02:16), and the other is 15 seconds. Consult your air conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in. If so, use the 15 second delay, if not; use the 136 second delay. The factory setting is 15 seconds.

5-Mode Surge Protection: This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-N, L-G, L-L and N-G. Total Joule rating is 3,580, 88,000A surge current. Response time of <1 nano second.

Surge Indicator: In the event of a power surge, and the surge protector circuit is damaged within the EMS, L-N or L-G, the digital display error code will read E-10. This indicates the EMS needs to be serviced.

Reverse Polarity Protection: If AC power is a reverse polarity condition, the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E-1.

Open Neutral Protection: If AC power has an open neutral condition, the display will not light, and the EMS will not allow power to the RV.

Open Ground Protection:
If AC power has an open ground condition, the EMS will read an error code of E-2 and power will not be allowed to the RV.

AC Frequency Protection:
If AC power frequency deviates +/- 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second, the EMS will shut down power. An error code of E-7 will be displayed when the frequency is high; and an error code will be displayed when frequency is low.

Accidental 240V Protection:
If 240 volts is detected when plugging into AC power, the EMS will NOT allow power to the RV. If this condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. The display will read the voltage and E-3 for the error. (NEVER BYPASS THE EMS WHEN THIS OCCURS.)

Display:
Continuously scrolls all of the AC power information, including voltage, current, frequency, error codes and previous errors. Each reading is displayed for two (2) seconds.

Previous Error Code:
This feature tells the user what the previous error was and why power was interrupted to the RV. To read a previous error code, put a "P" in front of the "E" code. This is only displayed if an actual error occurs. The error is deleted when power is disconnected from the EMS.

Bypass:
Enclosed blue jumper wire allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing AC power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS; however, all other features are disabled.

Modular Design:Replacement parts are designed for simple plug and play, making repairs extremely user friendly.

Microprocessor Controlled:The computer is driven by a state-of-the-art microprocessor that is programmed with software to drive the entire EMS.

Can't think of much else it should do except maybe wake me up at night.

I picked it up online at Camping World for $254.47 (dropped shipped) with free shipping
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #33
B47

So it appears that your model SP will also restore power once it returns to a safe level.

Good
Old 08-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #34
Site Team - Lou

Both of those units are fine. I would still keep the propane available in case the campground power goes down. It did at the KOA I stayed at in July for 4 hours while we were away at the National Park. Lots of folks freaking out when we got back and the campground host was handing out ice like crazy.

Ours went into the Mojitos.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #35

Iggy, thanks for the post on the Progressive Industries product.
Their 30 amp EMS unit would be something I could install myself in my Sunseeker.
Lou - Once my unit is set for travel I leave my propane on. Saved my bacon literally back in June when the Derecho (storm) knocked out power here in Roanoke.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Sale on Surge Supressors

Camping World has an internet sale going on and surge suppressors are on the list.

Portable Surge Guards With LCD Display - Product - Camping World

You all know I am a big fan of Franks Autotransformers with integral surge suppression, but if that is too rich for your blood; you might want to order from CW during this sale.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #37
B47

Quote:
Camping World has an internet sale going on and surge suppressors are on the list.

Portable Surge Guards With LCD Display - Product - Camping World

You all know I am a big fan of Franks Autotransformers with integral surge suppression, but if that is too rich for your blood; you might want to order from CW during this sale.
That is a sale indeed. I brought the 34750 model (50 amp) earlier this year at CW and paid about $345.00.

Tags
led pad