Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Do you use a Power Surge Protector?

With our expensive rigs I'm looking into power and surge protections.
I'm considering buying a Surge Guard 50 amp plug in type.
I have used a 30 Amp type in my 5th wheel and was very happy.

Surge Guard Model 34750 with LCD Screen
Rated 120/240V, 50A - 3850 Joules - 6/4 AWG Cord

Just introduced to the market in January 2012, the new 50 Amp Surge Guard portable with LCD display also offers more than twice the joules of power surge protection than the previous model. Continuously monitors for voltage and amp draw and reverse polarity (miswired pedestal, elevated ground voltage). Compact and easy to use, they plug in between the power pedestal and the line cord to provide protection. Designed for all travel trailers, 5th wheels and motorhomes with 50 Amp service.

Protects RV from faulty park power
Buillt-in intelligence
Automatic reset on power restoration
Shuts off power when the following is present:
Open neutral
Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage LCD display (English)
Multi-mode surge suppression
128 second reset delay protects A/C compressor
Continuously monitors for:
Voltage and amp draw (RMS)
Reverse polarity (miswired pedestal, elevated ground voltage) 3850 Joules of power surge protection
Convenient plug disconnect handles
Weather resistant

Amazon $360 with free shipping and no tax
Camping World $380 plus tax and free locking hasp.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	surge-guard-50-amp-portable-unit.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	15386  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Surge001..pdf (68.9 KB, 63 views)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #2

Progressive Industries PT30c EMS.
Usually around $300 on sale online at CW for $215.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #3

Been using this one for two seasons now, works great no idiot lights real codes. Just used it this weekend for a neighbor that showed up and was having electric problems with their coach, moved it to there power pole and showed him the post had no power on leg two, (post had a bad breaker), he went to the office they came out agreed and replace the breaker. This one displays the actual AMP load on each leg and saves history so when you return from sight seeing and things seem a miss you can check to see it the power cycled.

EMS-PT50C
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
OP needs the 50Amp version
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #5

The newer versions w/LCD readouts and history to review are REALLY COOL. They do function as advertised and are a great way to SAVE all the electronics and electrical items you have. I had one very similar on one of my boats (long gone) and I now use the 30 Surge Guard. Perfect piece of mind while connecting to CG power. A note about the "locking" hasp, it only locks the power cable to the SG. You need to lock the power box cover (I carry an extra lock ofr that purpose). Seems some not-so-savory types have been swiping them at various CGs around the country.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We have thee earlier version of the one Iggy posted. It was a steal at CW a few years back, under $285 & free shipping. We use it every place we go.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #7

I have voltage regulator but not a surge protector. I have it in the electric compartment in line between the coach and an extension cord going out to park power. Has save me on multiple occasions with bad power. I also use in line between generator to help with spikes and sags of voltage.
Tbeasley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
That is the 30 AMP version. I looked at their 50amp version and it is over $400. Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #9

Have a Progressive Industries 50 amp hard wire. RVUPGRADES current price 285.00 Portable unit higher. May have saved me once already when the park I was in had voltage droped below 108 volts. Unit checks before shifting power to camper.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #10

Progressive 50amp hardwired can be had for $300, many places. Lcd readout and error history is great
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #11

Agreed on Progressive. Lifetime warranty too. You can get a pole mount (with lock sold separately), or a hardwired unit.

I'm getting the hardwired on our new rig before we even pick it up:

Progressive Energy Management System 240Volt / 50Amp Hardwired w/ Remote Display
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #12

I use the hard wired 30 amps progressive bought form Lawrence RV. Attached is their website. 50 amp portable sells for $399.00.

Ecommerce Templates - Virtual Gadgets
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #13

I have been looking at the Progessive direct wired model EMS-LCHW50.
It is only $254.47 on sale at Camping World.
What I like it comes with a digital readout, direct wired and has the same protection, MOV's as the $360 version of Surge Guard.

It also has a life time warranty as Surge Guard has only 1 year.
Looks like Progessive direct wired one is the direction I'm going now.
Here is a link to see the EMS-LCHW50
EMS-LCHW50C
Old 06-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #14

In case anyone is wondering (because I was when I was looking at the two 50 amp Progressives since they 'look' the same) -- The only difference between that model and the one I posted in the earlier link is the readout display being on the unit, itself, vs being separate, where you can put it elsewhere.

Being able to put the viewer wherever you want in that storage bay comes in handy to be able to easily read it in case you have limited space to install the actual unit. I was afraid once it was installed, we would have a hard time seeing the display, hence us getting that model. Anyway just some more two cents! Can't go wrong with these units, either way!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
In case anyone is wondering (because I was when I was looking at the two 50 amp Progressives since they 'look' the same) -- The only difference between that model and the one I posted in the earlier link is the readout display being on the unit, itself, vs being separate, where you can put it elsewhere.

Being able to put the viewer wherever you want in that storage bay comes in handy to be able to easily read it in case you have limited space to install the actual unit. I was afraid once it was installed, we would have a hard time seeing the display, hence us getting that model. Anyway just some more two cents! Can't go wrong with these units, either way!
I'm getting the one with the screen on the unit. The way I figure I will be plugging in and withina few minutes it will active. By that time I should have the TV cable hooked up and the water line. After it is active I really won't look at it again until I have a power failure or have to disconnect. It does have a memory to show why the unit shut down previously. I don't have it yet as the delivery date is a few weeks from Camping World and drop shipped from the manufacturer.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Why I use both, surge protection and an autotransformer.

With these power controllers, as stated, your first indication of a problem is "shutdown." While this may save you from total system failure, it won't protect your microwave or airconditioner from a low voltage brown out (due to heavy use at the park) that does not drop below the cutout voltage (typically 104 volts).

105 VAC will destroy your air conditioner compressor over time and your magnetron may become unreliable or burn out due to higher than normal current from the low voltage.

An autotransformer will boost the incoming park voltage and keep it in the safe range (at the expense of current if it needs to do that). At a pretty high end resort in Miami (the one near the Everglades) there were so many campers running their ACs 24/7 that park power when we hooked up was at 108 volts. At 108 volts, I hooked up my Franks unit and it went right into high boost and voltage to the camper went right up to a comfortable 126 volts AC and my air conditioner ran perfectly.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
After it is active I really won't look at it again until I have a power failure or have to disconnect.
I would periodically check the readout to ensure that all is good with the power. I was at a campground one summer. I plugged in the unit and turned on the power. Everythng looked good so I turned off the brekers and plugged in. Turned the breakers on and all was still good. A day or so later I went out just to take a look and the unit was flashing a low voltage code. Just then, the AC's started to pop the breakers inside the coach. Reset the breakers on the pedestal and still showed low voltage (104volts). Notified the campground and had to move sites because their electrician couldn't fix the problem right away. I believe that the unit saved me a lot of problems. Seems that I have picked up electrical problems several times that the campground didn't know about - including Fort Wilderness and Hershey High Meadow.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #18

Saved Again

My Progessive model EMS-LCHW50 probally saved me again last weekend. Was at a campground and noted lower then desirable voltage at 108. Talked to the park owner and checked several other sites and they were all the same. Was assured that the voltage normally goes no lower. Next afternoon the unit starts dropping out, sometime for low voltage sometimes without indication. Called Progressive and left an afterhours message asking for help with the no indication outages. About an hour later recieved a return call from a tech that suggested the unit was picking up micro flucuations that amounted to little outages that the unit was picking up and timeout cycling. During the periods of low voltage I saw voltages down to 101 volts. Of course the unit would not allow anything below 104 in. Advised the campground of the situation and on Tuesday got an e-mail stating the power company was looking for a bad transformer that was causing low voltage in the area. Fact, fiction or whatever the camper was protected and Progressive impressed me with their afterhours service.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #19

Installed my Progressive EMS today. Question???

Those who have installed the EMS, there is an option to have the unit delay start for 2 minutes for the air conditioner. The factory set is 15 seconds. The instructions tell you to check with the air conditioner mfg. to determine if the AC has the delay built in.... if not remove the jumper. So..., what do I do? Can't find anything on line if the AC has the delay or not. I'm assuming my Dometic AC has the built-in delay.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #20

On my vintage (2007) Dometic the delay depended on the type of thermostat on the wall. I would check the thermostat lit. and if nothing call Dometic with your model numbers.

Tags
led pad