Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #1

Does engine coolant heat the hot water tank?

I noticed while reading the manual on the hot water tank of our new Georgetown that the tank may have a "loop" of pipe running through it which would allow the engine coolant to heat the hot water tank while traveling. Does anyone know if this is the case with the Georgetown units?

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Yes, if your setup for it. I can't remember what it is called but it is a feature.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #3

This is called MotorAide, and I have had it on many motorhomes...the coolant from the engine is routed through the hot water heater and it heats the water in the tank..when you reach your destination, you have hot water immediatley. It is a nice feature and as far as I know none of the Georgetown units have it.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Must be something new they're offering. I don't see it on the website under the Options for the Georgetown Units.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
I could be wrong.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #6

I think I'd elect not to have that option. You'd be heating your potable water with a poisonous liquid.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #7

No you are not, it works like a heat exchanger and is perfectly safe. I am still alive and I have had this feature for years on other units. The water heater has the loop in it but Forest River does not run the lines to hook it up...guess that saves a couple of bucks...
Old 02-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
I think I'd elect not to have that option. You'd be heating your potable water with a poisonous liquid.
I don't have a horse in this race, but I have to agree with M109Rider on that. 1 little pin hole or bad fitting could contaminate your hot water supply. Hopefully someone could smell the antifreeze if that happened and take action before washing your dishes or taking a shower, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #9

After almost 20 years in the Navy I am unduly familiar with how a heat exchanger works. If it's a straight coolant to potable water heat exchanger it's not worth the liability to me. If it's common and well liked by MC owners then have at. It just struck me odd and goes against everything I've been taught as a shipboard engineer. Honestly I'm amazed it's even legal.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #10

Not possible. The way the heaters are built there is no way for antifreeze to enter the acutal water supply......remember alum. does not rust and the antifreeze travels in and out in it's own tube. Your chances of an auto accident or winning the lottery are much better than dying from your water heater contaminated with anti freeze.. if it was available, I would pay to have it. Remember, it is a heat exchanger technology, not a direct insertion of anti freeze into the water heater.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #11

I was thinking that if the lines were there I might use them to add an axillary heater for the coach. I am hoping to use the Georgetown for ski weekends and thought that it would help me conserve propane while traveling in the winter using the axillary heater while moving instead of the furnace. I did a similar thing in a van I owned in the early 80's. I won't be able to do it any event until the winter is over. There seems to be no easy way to see the back of the water heater and I don't really care to be crawling around underneath the unit in the snow.

BTW there are several systems in the motorhome carrying poisonous materials. The ammonia in the fridge is particularly lethal.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #12

Exactly Mike. I have had the aux heaters in the past and they work well. Forest River does not run the lines as far as I know but it is easy to put a T in the line coming from the rad and then running it to a heater..then back to the rad .Good luck...and you are correct, the ammonia or carbon monoxide from the furnace would do you in long before a little anti freeze on your corn flakes...LOL...
Old 02-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #13

comment

it was standard on Winnebago products; don't know about current use.
levendoski is offline   Reply With Quote