Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 PM   #1

Does Navigation System know you are in a Class A?

Regular navigation system give you the shortest and quickest route to your destination. They do not take small towns and low bridges into consideration!

Our Georgetown came with the Pioneer AVIC-U260 navigation system connected to the Pioneer AVH-X2700BS in dash console.
Sandy and Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #2

I have the Garmin RV GPS which holds the RV profile for height and such.

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMSNT View Post
I have the Garmin RV GPS which holds the RV profile for height and such.
X2 Garmin RV 760LMT works great!

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:35 AM   #4

Look at page 43 and on for info on vehicle type setting......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AVIC-U260_OwnersManual122713.pdf (3.27 MB, 123 views)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #5

Thanks fonzie, that information will bring Happy Days to our travel.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Shirley View Post
Thanks fonzie, that information will bring Happy Days to our travel.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #7

Gps

All that I ever had gave you an option to put car-bus- walk or some program type of travel fastest or shortest way shortest will get you into problems driving a rv
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
All that I ever had gave you an option to put car-bus- walk or some program type of travel fastest or shortest way shortest will get you into problems driving a rv

What do you mean....
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
Team Bleu

I bought the Rand McNally RV/Truck GPS, has not screwed me yet. You input Class A, Size, width, height, how much propane, etc. and it take you right thru the right roads.
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #10

There is an option for mode of travel on most GPS 's walk fly bus car some list rv the shortest way of travel may carry you thru small city streets neighbor hoods what ever route that is the shortest quickest keeps you on the roads that usually have higher speeds highways interstates and usually there is an option for the type of roads you prefer and avoidances such as tolls if it is plausible

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #11

I have a Garmin GPS that speaks to me.
If a low bridge comes up on my route that is 12.5 ft or less it yells DUCK just before the bridge.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #12

GPS

Mine don't say anything but I keep cool head
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #13

Over the years, we have learned the best way to travel is with two GPS and a road atlas...along with good navigator, i.e. one who tells you about a turn BEFORE you get there. On a 5-6 hour trip, the Good Sam (Rand McNally) GPS routinely showed us getting to our destination an hour later than the Garmin. Finally, I learned that in settings, you can adjust your average driving speed. After upping that number through trial and error, we were able to get the two brands in sync.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
There is an option for mode of travel on most GPS 's walk fly bus car some list rv the shortest way of travel may carry you thru small city streets neighbor hoods what ever route that is the shortest quickest keeps you on the roads that usually have higher speeds highways interstates and usually there is an option for the type of roads you prefer and avoidances such as tolls if it is plausible

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Please punctuate your posts.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:41 AM   #15

Thanks to all of the members who have replied, you have given good information, but I would love it if an actual Forest River representative would answer the question as I phrase it more precisely!

I just bought a 2015 Georgetown XL 378 which included a Pioneer AVH-X2700BS in dash console with a Pioneer AVIC-U260 navigation system. This was all part of what Forest River built into the Georgetown not options that I change after I purchased it.

Did Forest River give me a navigation system that will send me under low clearance bridges and through city streets where I will not be able to make turns? If I follow the navigation instruction that “you” supplied to me and crash into a low bridge, is your policy to just say tough #%%#? Or do you not answer and have a group in the company who has a big laugh over “we got another one”?

In other words is the navigation system “you” supplied totally unreliable? Do I have to trash yours and buy one that actually works for a Class A?

All of the replies have told me about good systems that do work well for Class A’s. Did Forest River install a good system or just whatever they could get?
Old 04-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #16

Google your model # and you will see the link to your model on MFG website. Can download owners manual there. Quick look and you'll see in chapter 8 the vehicle options. Car, Bus, Taxi. A little further on in the chapter you will see how to enter more accurate info based on size of your vehicle and cargo to let the software know what areas to exclude from your route calcs.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #17

Sandy and Shirley,

I'm not a FR rep however I'll take a two pronged approach to your logic. First, if you don't get hot water, FR will point you to Atwood or Suburban (or whomever the manufacturer is for the given component). Thus, it sounds like they supplied your coach with a unit which supports profiles for a given vehicle. With that being said, GPS software is ever changing like the roads that we drive on. Since I'm in the software industry (I work for Microsoft), there's a term called 'best effort'. They'll give you the ability to update that software however you're ultimately responsible for physically reading all the road signs along the way (i.e. speed, exits, bridge height, etc.).

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:51 AM   #18

georgetown

Regular GPS don't. Need rv GPS to enter height and width plus weight for your travels.
efgsr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 AM   #19

Mine say, "recalculating"(repeated 3 times in 10 seconds, then "make a U turn" (one time, just as "we" entered a tunnel), after talking to "her" and trying to stay calm and use logic, (I usually fail at staying calm), I threaten to drive a stake through her heart, but think about the cost of replacing and just turn her off as punishment; when she's had enough I give her another chance. Life is about second chances. Don't you wish DW has a power button?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #20
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMSNT View Post
Sandy and Shirley,

I'm not a FR rep however I'll take a two pronged approach to your logic. First, if you don't get hot water, FR will point you to Atwood or Suburban (or whomever the manufacturer is for the given component). Thus, it sounds like they supplied your coach with a unit which supports profiles for a given vehicle. With that being said, GPS software is ever changing like the roads that we drive on. Since I'm in the software industry (I work for Microsoft), there's a term called 'best effort'. They'll give you the ability to update that software however you're ultimately responsible for physically reading all the road signs along the way (i.e. speed, exits, bridge height, etc.).

Exactly, you have to deal with the reality of imperfection and change. I left California for my home town and the neighborhood I grew up where dad still lives. Having not been home in a few years and previously in an airport rental or my own SUV I came to a standstill when I realized the trees were so over grown across the road that I could not get my coach or anything over 9 feet through and no GPS no matter how good is going to tell you that.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote