Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Does size really matter?

Now that I've got everyone's attention.................

We have a 2010 model 330TS, which at 34 feet 6 inches, on a 208 inch wheelbase, is what Georgetown considers the "runt of the litter". I have noticed our tires are Goodyear model G670 RV, size 245/70R 19.5. Considering all the other large vehicles (buses, transports, etc) travelling the highways, the 19.5 tires would not be the most common size. I believe the norm for all those vehicles are 22.5 inch. This could be an issue and cause additional time if I were to get a flat tire and need to have a rescue vehicle bring out a spare.

Also, all other things being equal, (assuming we're all running with the Ford Triton 6.8L V-10 engine) my running on smaller diameter tires means my engine speed is slightly higher at any speed. This doesn't help for getting the best mileage possible.

Just wondering what size/brand of tires you others are running on for your Georgetown models, and why not 22.5 inch tires for all models?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Now that I've got everyone's attention.................

We have a 2010 model 330TS, which at 34 feet 6 inches, on a 208 inch wheelbase, is what Georgetown considers the "runt of the litter". I have noticed our tires are Goodyear model G670 RV, size 245/70R 19.5. Considering all the other large vehicles (buses, transports, etc) travelling the highways, the 19.5 tires would not be the most common size. I believe the norm for all those vehicles are 22.5 inch. This could be an issue and cause additional time if I were to get a flat tire and need to have a rescue vehicle bring out a spare.

Also, all other things being equal, (assuming we're all running with the Ford Triton 6.8L V-10 engine) my running on smaller diameter tires means my engine speed is slightly higher at any speed. This doesn't help for getting the best mileage possible.

Just wondering what size/brand of tires you others are running on for your Georgetown models, and why not 22.5 inch tires for all models?
19.5 was the standard tire on most gasoline motorhomes up untill a few years ago. Fleetwood still puts them on too. I don't think you will ever have a problem finding tires if you have a flat. Most carriers that change tires with road service have tires with them. they may not be the same brand that you have now. Mileage, I don't think it will change that much compaired to the cost of changing. Our Georgetown came with Michiline tires and we opt to purchase a spare tire. in 2008 we have a storage compartment with access in the rear cap.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Thanks for the response Ken. I read almost all your submissions on the forum, and find them quite informative.

I noticed some models of Gerogetowns (usually the ones without a bedroom slide) have a much larger storage compartment out back. Other models, like ours, have smaller ones........I guess because of the mechanism for the slide.

Not sure if it's because yours is a 2008 model, or because you've got a larger unit, but what size tires are you running? You're right........it would be cost prohibitive to swicth all tires out to the 22.5 size now.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would be very careful about changing tire size, especially going that much larger. The gearing is set up for what you have, and if you change to a bigger tire, you might be putting extra load on the transmission, etc. Lower rpm usually equates to better mileage, but only if other factors are tuned for it.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #5

Also, the speedometer would read incorrectly. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Thanks for the response Ken. I read almost all your submissions on the forum, and find them quite informative.

I noticed some models of Gerogetowns (usually the ones without a bedroom slide) have a much larger storage compartment out back. Other models, like ours, have smaller ones........I guess because of the mechanism for the slide.

Not sure if it's because yours is a 2008 model, or because you've got a larger unit, but what size tires are you running? You're right........it would be cost prohibitive to swicth all tires out to the 22.5 size now.
Ken Our 378 is approx 38 ft long and has the 22.5 tires. Forest River made a change in the front and rear caps in mid 2009. I think all of the new ones don't have the opening and storage area in the rear cap as we do. The spare tire fits between the flooring and the frame of the motorhome. And then there is space between the tire and door for small shelves. I carry another satellite dish and stand in the space with the tire. It doesn't affect the bedroom slide movement at all as our mechnism is under part of the bed.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Our 2011 Georgetown 378 has no storage area for a spare. I really can't see any reason to carry one when you probably can't change the tire by yourself anyway with these 22.5" rims. I'll just call a road service.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote