Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #1

Dometic AC ?Garbage or Defect

My 13500 Dometic rear AC unit is a ____. It barely cools and only if it is cool / shady outside. The front 15K is OK at best. Have to investigate if defect, low Freon, … before 2yr warranty expires in a few months, but is this unit normal garbage as far as cooling output or do you think I probably have a defect?

On the same topic, should I get an Atwood that seems to have favorable ratings on all accounts except that the fan run 100% of the time. If I get the Atwood, can I use the same Thermostat wiring or do I somehow have to snake new wiring. Yes I know new thermostat, ceiling panel output. Basically is it a simple R&R?
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

see my post Dometic AC not cooling 2015 364T Georgetown

good luck....yes they are cheap junk
foretg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
My 13500 Dometic rear AC unit is a ____. It barely cools and only if it is cool / shady outside. The front 15K is OK at best. Have to investigate if defect, low Freon, … before 2yr warranty expires in a few months, but is this unit normal garbage as far as cooling output or do you think I probably have a defect?

On the same topic, should I get an Atwood that seems to have favorable ratings on all accounts except that the fan run 100% of the time. If I get the Atwood, can I use the same Thermostat wiring or do I somehow have to snake new wiring. Yes I know new thermostat, ceiling panel output. Basically is it a simple R&R?
The best thing you can do is put a shade on the windshield. Think Tarp. Your sitting inside a giant aquarium. The unit is sealed. Can't check for low freon. If it works in cooler temps or in the shade it's working as designed. You will not like the Atwood.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretg View Post
see my post Dometic AC not cooling 2015 364T Georgetown

good luck....yes they are cheap junk

Your Link is not working - problem with post
FYI, the marine version of the Dometic Air Conditioners are GREAT! But they are 5-6 times the price. Get what you pay for I guess.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The best thing you can do is put a shade on the windshield. Think Tarp. Your sitting inside a giant aquarium. The unit is sealed. Can't check for low freon. If it works in cooler temps or in the shade it's working as designed. You will not like the Atwood.
All windows have shades, including front WS. I haven't pulled cover to ac on the roof, but there should be refill/loading valves.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
All windows have shades, including front WS. I haven't pulled cover to ac on the roof, but there should be refill/loading valves.
They are not designed for recharge or maintenance. They are throw away units. I have replaced three of the on two different units in the past few years. Wish they would go back to the old style Coleman’s.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:

It's a Dometic the Freon as leaked without a doubt, they are made in China for pennies and use rubbish components, Shame on Dometic! I had two new one's both leaked Freon form the compressor welds due to rubbish rubber feet. Don't bother replacing them if will happen again, try another manufacturer if they're is any in the US. To many of us suffer form this two bit company while the share holders and bosses live a luxurious life.
eddy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #8

Dometic AC

Quote:

Let us know which unit you get. I am thinking on buying a third A/C for our 378 XL this year for our 2 month trip out west. I am thinking of the Atwood with heat pump because of the dual motor fan design.
As for the quality of Dometic I believe it should be better but we have a large coach and 28,5000 btu's total is just not enough.
We are okay most of the time with Dometic customer service and they have treated us good.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #9
Enjoying Life

Quote:

Atwood and Dometic are now the same company(since 2017), so it may not make any difference

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Atwood and Dometic are now the same company(since 2017), so it may not make any difference
Atwood and Dometic A.C. are not the same, except being garbage. Atwood bought the right to put there name on a Australian company's unit only, they have nothing to do with the manufacturing or engineering, Dometic builds there own over seas, they have full control. If you have a choice take the lesser of evils and go with Colemen.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #11

Replaced rear 13.5K Dometic with a new one under warranty by third party - not RV Dealer.

I now have 2 (front 15K & rear) new replaced AC units. Both were defective from FR upon delivery. Only took a few weeks to discover front as it "rained" rusty water all over my driveway. The rear was barely cooling, but I was told that was normal.

With both replaced, I can actually have an interior temp below 88 and the gen can run both now as long as I only start 1, give it a few minutes to stabilize the Freon loading then start the second.

The second (rear) has a new 12month warranty. Let's see how long either lasts before they ___.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:17 PM   #12

When your done getting the bugs out of your a/c units you should check out Wackoproducts.com that's where I bought my a/c Silencers for my 2 dometic units. It made a big difference in noise and air flow
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
When your done getting the bugs out of your a/c units you should check out Wackoproducts.com that's where I bought my a/c Silencers for my 2 dometic units. It made a big difference in noise and air flow
Thanks for the suggestion, but after looking at it, it appears that it is no different than closing the 90% dump feature that forces the ac unit to make its output use the built in roof venting ducts plus. It also has a more restrictive intake filter.

As an AC systems designer and installer, the true secret to AC efficiency is air flow. A lower SEER AC unit will have a much higher net efficiency if a proper duct work is installed over a high SEER AC unit with a restrictive duct system.

Am I missing something with this product?
Old 10-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but after looking at it, it appears that it is no different than closing the 90% dump feature that forces the ac unit to make its output use the built in roof venting ducts plus. It also has a more restrictive intake filter.

As an AC systems designer and installer, the true secret to AC efficiency is air flow. A lower SEER AC unit will have a much higher net efficiency if a proper duct work is installed over a high SEER AC unit with a restrictive duct system.

Am I missing something with this product?
You are right but I have taken airflow reading before and after and it does increase air flow. My ac doesn't freeze up anymore. Plus I can watch tv.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #15

Quote:
You are right but I have taken airflow reading before and after and it does increase air flow. My ac doesn't freeze up anymore. Plus I can watch tv.
The cover they use only lets in air with no dump available. That means that the air is going 100% through the roof. The roof is at most 3.5" of Styrofoam and the ducted area has apx 1" between it and the exterior so in the daytime heating, I prefer to do a dump (only when I or our pets are actually in the RV - its off or set to 90 (actually 86) on the thermostat) to increase the net cooling. At night, I do use the Dometic closed dump position forcing the roof ducts as the exterior skin has cooled significantly and the noise level is acceptable, but not perfect.

How did you measure airflow from the duct vents?
FYI, ac freeze up is due to a defect. It is not normal. Usually a restricted airflow or low Freon.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #16

Quote:
The cover they use only lets in air with no dump available. That means that the air is going 100% through the roof. The roof is at most 3.5" of Styrofoam and the ducted area has apx 1" between it and the exterior so in the daytime heating, I prefer to do a dump (only when I or our pets are actually in the RV - its off or set to 90 (actually 86) on the thermostat) to increase the net cooling. At night, I do use the Dometic closed dump position forcing the roof ducts as the exterior skin has cooled significantly and the noise level is acceptable, but not perfect.

How did you measure airflow from the duct vents?
FYI, ac freeze up is due to a defect. It is not normal. Usually a restricted airflow or low Freon.
Yes the supply and return. I never used the dump it was to noise and then the outside walls would get hot because of lack of air flow to the walls.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Yes the supply and return. I never used the dump it was to noise and then the outside walls would get hot because of lack of air flow to the walls.
I have NO wall outlets/vents only ceiling. You have wall ac outlets?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #18

Quote:
I have NO wall outlets/vents only ceiling. You have wall ac outlets?
No sorry dusted through the ceiling
Old 10-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #19

Quote:
No sorry dusted through the ceiling
Oops I love auto correct. Ducted
Old 10-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #20

I use the main "dump" and have a small 9" fan that moves air everywhere.

Tags
dometic