Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #1

Dometic Frig in 2011 GT 378 TS

Since we have been on our first extended trip with our RV we have had 3 out of the 4 ceiling lights go out and the temperature of our 4-Door Domestic Refigerator has had wide temperature swings. It has registereed a low of 33 to a high of 52 when we got up this morning. Currenetly (4 hours later) it shows a temperature of 44. For the most part during the day the temperature is in the 37-39 degree range. Is this a common problem or does it sound like something bad in about to happen? I have had the RV for slightly over 1 1/2 years.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've added external fans as well as a internal circulation fan.
My temp stays a steady 32 - 36 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_111347.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	31543   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_111421.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	31544   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_111433.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	31545  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I've added external fans as well as a internal circulation fan.
My temp stays a steady 32 - 36 degrees.
Is the fan that is inside the refrigerator battery operated? Also, what kind and where did you get it?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
Is the fan that is inside the refrigerator battery operated? Also, what kind and where did you get it?
Fan is wired to the fridge light circuit.
I bought it from best buy.
80 mm high flow.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

My thoughts with 20 plus years of camping.

I have found that you shouldn't place items against any of the side or back walls. You need air circulation around the food to maintain a reasonable temp. Now my DW like to place boxes and packages in freezer. I usually open the box and empty the items out. I feel this will get then frozen quicker without the box as insulation.

You should prepare for your trip at least 24 hours before you leave and try and add items in the late evening whenit cools down outside. By moring when you are ready to leave everything should be cooled down nicely.

Now I do believe that the frig cools down quicker with gas than electric.

I do not have a fan installed in my new motorhome four door Dometic but I have one and may install it before my next trip just to see if it helps keep things cooler than normal.

Good luck all
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
Sherlock

2012 378XL; went through this same thing a year ago & even threw out one load of food. Did 3 things that seem to fix it. 1. Had dealer check outside fans, mine has 4 but only 2 were working. 2. Got the little fan/deodorizer at CW that goes inside the fridge to help add air circulation. 3. Placed a thermometer inside the fridge. Results are that it now works fine but the outside digital thermometer still reads high during the day. I just ignore it as the thermometer I placed in the fridge is the one I go by and it says all is well. Lastly, especially on very hot days, try & keep the direct sun from hitting the outside air panel as that will effect the temperature as well.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #7

The only problem we have had on temp swings is that one of us forgot to check the flap that seals between the 2 refer section doors. That thing does to close properly, never has and I have seen a more than a few posts on it. With the flap open the doors don't seal and weren't the wild temperature swings your discussing. Close the flap manually and the temp stays a 34 even in south Texas in the summer time with the sun shining on the side of our rig. The refer is fine once you learn to check that the door closes properly.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I have had a number of problems with our Dometic fridge. When it was brand new the left freezer door would not latch because it was mounted crooked. They replaced the fridge and the fans were very noisy Dometic replaced them. It has always done a good job maintaining a good temperature.

I did have to replace the water/ice maker valve because it froze and split last spring. I was sure I would no have to winterize it after getting back from the South in mid April. My bad.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #9

I have to stand corrected on something. I "assumed" my refrigerator was a Domestic but upon looking closely at the name on the refrigerator it is a Dometic!! When going through the many manuals I have I also noticed so is the A/C and the awning. What a learning experiencd this RV has been.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #10

Did you know that the Dometic Refrigerator has a 2 year parts an labor warranty?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Did you know that the Dometic Refrigerator has a 2 year parts an labor warranty?
In our case they did replace the fridge and the fans but the valve was my fault.
It was in the storage lot with out hookups or I would have had the arctic pac turned on. When they put the valve on they did not good job of putting the arctic pac wires around the valve. I hope that the Forest River tech will be able to help me with that when we go to the rally in Elkhart.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
I have to stand corrected on something. I "assumed" my refrigerator was a Domestic but upon looking closely at the name on the refrigerator it is a Dometic!! When going through the many manuals I have I also noticed so is the A/C and the awning. What a learning experiencd this RV has been.
Thread fixed.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote