Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #1

Dometic RV 4 door Refrigerator Fan MOD

I purchased this double fan many months ago and recently decided to install it prior to my one month trip.
Bottom line it lowered the temp in the refrigerator from 37 to 34 degrees in the hot humid days and the back was in the direct sunlight.

It was easy to install after I found a contant 12 volts DC. The fan has a nice switch that you can turn on or off as needed. That is how I found out how well it worked. Was easy to mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome June 16 2013 018.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	35835  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #2

Iggy. Where did you get the fan? When we were in Florida recently it was not unusual for our refrigerator to get into the upper 40's. we had to toss a lot of food. On my 2011 378 we also have the 4 door refrigerator.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Pete

got mine on EBay.... $13.50......mine does not have a switch...but I would never use it. Have had it for three years....still running.
RV Refrigerator Fan for Dometic / Norcold 12v Refrigerators.

rv fans | eBay
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
Iggy. Where did you get the fan? When we were in Florida recently it was not unusual for our refrigerator to get into the upper 40's. we had to toss a lot of food. On my 2011 378 we also have the 4 door refrigerator.
Here is a link to Ebay and the seller. I like the switch because you can turn it off when you really don't need it.
$13.75 and free shipping. That is $5 cheaper than I paid

Dometic Refrigerator Fan w on Off Switch to Increase Cooling Standard Model | eBay
Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #5

Iggy, where did you pick up the 12v for the wiring?
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
You can pull power from the fridge light. You need to find the constant Hot wire by using a 12 volt test light. Probe the wires with the switch off and see which wire lights up the test light.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
I actually got my 12 volt DC from the outside rear of the unit.
I drilled a hole thru for the wire and sealed with silicone. No biggy.
The DC buss is to the right of the blue water valves for the ice maker and door water.
Check with a meter to verify polarity as it may be differnet colors
Here is a picture that someone left here that shows the DC terminal block.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	refer.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	35870  
Old 07-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #8

Iggy, didn't you also pull fridge and installed a fan or two with ducting on top of the fridge to pull out hot air on top? My 4 door heat shoots up to 44-48 when traveling on just about every trip.
MattM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Iggy, didn't you also pull fridge and installed a fan or two with ducting on top of the fridge to pull out hot air on top? My 4 door heat shoots up to 44-48 when traveling on just about every trip.

No I haven't installed any other fans.
Are you sure the doors are locked closed when travelling? That i sthe only thing I can think of that would increase the temps that much.
What is the temp before you travel?
I usually cool mine down at home for a day prior to my trips.
My refrigerator warms up a little when travelling but haven't noticed how much. I will check next trip.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Sherlock

Mine said 43 this morning but it was really 35 inside. That outside thermometer is not worth the time it took to install it. Got a $10 refrigerator thermometer to put inside and found out the fridge is fine, it is the digital outside thermometer that is no good so I just ignore it.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwood12800 View Post
Mine said 43 this morning but it was really 35 inside. That outside thermometer is not worth the time it took to install it. Got a $10 refrigerator thermometer to put inside and found out the fridge is fine, it is the digital outside thermometer that is no good so I just ignore it.
Yes I also use a small thermometer inside. Glad to hear everyhting is good.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #12

There was a prior post last year from someone who removed the fridge and installed 2 fans in the exhaust area above the fridge and also installed some baffling to conduct the hot air to the exhaust tubes. FR did not place the exhaust directly over fridge and the heat builds up. We have had same problems since buying our 2010 378. We turn it on a few days prior to departure, the temp goes to 34 but as soon as we start to travel, especially during summer months, it shoots up to mid 40's and higher. After arriving at destination and a day or two later, it goes back down to 34. Same thing happens on trip home. I just bought the Ebay fans so, hopefully that will do it. Oh, btw, on this trip, the new steps broke, generator will only run a few minutes, engine starter/solenoid had to be replaced enroute (second selonoid), and dash A/C froze up going through Vegas with temp at 105 (compressor replaced at 9K). And Oh, yes, the hydraulic pump reservoir leaking alot, even after motor was replaced 3 months ago. I did tell you FR replaced the entire roof in Jan? Never ending. Went to trade it in, they offered me 70K for it..Ugh.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
There was a prior post last year from someone who removed the fridge and installed 2 fans in the exhaust area above the fridge and also installed some baffling to conduct the hot air to the exhaust tubes. FR did not place the exhaust directly over fridge and the heat builds up. We have had same problems since buying our 2010 378. We turn it on a few days prior to departure, the temp goes to 34 but as soon as we start to travel, especially during summer months, it shoots up to mid 40's and higher. After arriving at destination and a day or two later, it goes back down to 34. Same thing happens on trip home. I just bought the Ebay fans so, hopefully that will do it. Oh, btw, on this trip, the new steps broke, generator will only run a few minutes, engine starter/solenoid had to be replaced enroute (second selonoid), and dash A/C froze up going through Vegas with temp at 105 (compressor replaced at 9K). And Oh, yes, the hydraulic pump reservoir leaking alot, even after motor was replaced 3 months ago. I did tell you FR replaced the entire roof in Jan? Never ending. Went to trade it in, they offered me 70K for it..Ugh.

I don't know what you paid for it or owe but you may should consider the trade-in and get them to lower the price on the newer RV you plan to buy.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...t378-6681.html

That was my old buddy NWJeeper. Here's the link to his post. I miss Ed, really use to like helping him spend his money as he did helping me spend mine.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #15

Iggy, where did you put the switch?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Iggy, where did you put the switch?
If you look at my original post and picture you can see the switch between the 2 fans. This was installed by the guy who sells the fans on ebay. I like having the control to turn off.
Presently we have been in Las Vegas for 3 days and I have the fan on.
I can easily maintain 36 degree on the refigerator monitor.
Outiside temps have been up to 104 degrees and lows od 80 degrees at night.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

If you look at my original post and picture you can see the switch between the 2 fans. This was installed by the guy who sells the fans on ebay. I like having the control to turn off.
Presently we have been in Las Vegas for 3 days and I have the fan on.
I can easily maintain 36 degree on the refigerator monitor.
Outiside temps have been up to 104 degrees and lows od 80 degrees at night.
Update I just checked and the temp is down to 34 degrees and it is 4PM the hottest time of of the day. So the fan helps bring the temp down 6-7 dagrees in very hot climates
Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #18

Hi Iggy
Just got the fan, nice unit.
How do yo mount it to the fins?

Thanks,
John
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercept View Post
Hi Iggy
Just got the fan, nice unit.
How do yo mount it to the fins?

Thanks,
John

If yo got the one like I did it has 2 metal clips that have to be pushed onto the metal fins of the refrigerator. Make sure they fan is centered were you want it because the clips are hard to remove.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #20

Thanks for the clip info. Of course I got the same as you, I listen to what you say :<). So I sent an Email back to to DForce on EBay and asked for the clips. Thanks, John
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote