Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #1

Don't Know If I Did The Right Thing

All season I've been battling a leak in the bedroom hidden by the vinyl head liner. What led me to it was the yellowing of the ceiling between the bedroom AC and the rear of the rig. When I pulled the in-ceiling lights out that have no surrounding enclosure water came out of the openings, and if I press on the vinyl (or use a wall paper roller like I did) a lot of water comes out of the openings. I know eventually the vinyl is going to have to come down. Going to try a get the season in first as we have plans for a few reserved outings. Outside I cannot tell where the water is getting in. So I started the process of trying to re-seal the roof with Eternabond Tape. Saturday I cut out what looked like perfectly good Dicor sealant along the rear cap. Cleaned it up really good. Only a small area on the driver side where the cap radiuses down, or corner might there been a little dis-colorations under the Dicor. I then sealed the cap seam with Eternabond and sealed the leading edge and corner radius edges with Dicor. I really don't know what else to do. Plan on running the Eternabond down along both sides of the roof seam that is covered with the metal screw strip and Dicor'd screw heads as time permits. Previously sealed exterior running lighs which are above the ceiling line. Boy that sealant I peeled, cut and scraped off looked good, hence the title of the thread.

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #2

I had the the same issue, could not find out where the water was coming from in the front. We had the roof resealed no luck, did the seal tech test 3 times, a friend who is a rv tech stopped by and tightened down the ac units. No more water, and they don't rattle as much. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #3

miked, tightening down the AC is the first thing I did. However, they say don't over tighten and though I've snugged it up twice now to no avail, I'm thinking of borrowing my brother torque wrench because I've read somewhere on the forum that the mounting bolts should be torqued to 25#. If that don't work I just thought this morning that maybe I'll surround the AC mount with Eternabond as the pan is only about 1/2-3/4" off of the roof from what I can tell laying on my stomach and looking under the cover.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #4

Just checking the Dometic web site, I see the torque rating for the mounting bolts is 40 to 50 lbs.! Perhaps this is my trouble spot because no way are they that tight. Gasket is to be compressed to 1/2". Can't wait to get home and check out the mounting bolts, for the third time.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #5

Did them myself at first and it continued to leak. But when the tech did it a couple of months ago and hasn't leaked since.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
jkoenig24

Some dealers / repair facilities can pressure test an RV. That would probably be the quickest way to locate a leak.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #7

jkoenig, if you notice miked's first post, he had his rig done 3 times. That is originally what I was thinking of doing too, however just like the vinyl headliner is stopping the water from dripping in I figured it would be the same reason the seal test wouldn't work.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Some dealers / repair facilities can pressure test an RV. That would probably be the quickest way to locate a leak.

The dealer told me that the test only works 50% of the time.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #9

On the A/C tightening. I have a Sunseeker 2300 that was leaking. Exhausted EVERYTHING, including tightening the A/C bolts. Finally, after doing a pressure test, to no avail, pulled the A/C. Turned out it was sitting directly on the fiberglass roof with NO GASKET. Not only that, where the gasket should have been, there was a bead of HARDEN plastic bonded to the roof, perhaps dripped glue for the fiberglass, that ran crosswise between the A/C and the fiberglass roof. That the problem was only intermittent was likely due to the benefit of the roof crown. Purchased a new gasket on Amazon.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Just checking the Dometic web site, I see the torque rating for the mounting bolts is 40 to 50 lbs.! Perhaps this is my trouble spot because no way are they that tight. Gasket is to be compressed to 1/2". Can't wait to get home and check out the mounting bolts, for the third time.
That's 40-50 inch lbs, not ft. lbs. The 1/2 inch torque wrenches are usually in ft/lbs and the 3/8" are usually in inch/lbs.

From the manual:

"EVENLY TIGHTEN MOUNTING BOLTS TO A
TORQUE OF 40 TO 50 INCH POUNDS"

Cheers

Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote