Old 06-14-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
Door Lock 2015 Georgetown XL 387

I just had the strangest RV experience. My wife and dog walk out of RV closed the door and it locked itself with me inside. Neither handles on the doors or keys unlocked the door. The door lock is Trimark 060-1650 or 030-2650.

I had bring coach home and luckily we had are car to follow.

Opening up lock did not give any way to unlock the door. Has anyone experience this self locking event or has had problem with either of the Trimark models and or good working solution.

catellier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Member - Retired
This is slightly different than you described, however worth keeping in mind. On my Georgetown XL 334QS, when the door is locked from the inside, it can still be opened from the inside in an emergency without moving the selector to the unlock position. If the door is opened in this manner and a person exits the MH, then closes the door, the door is locked from the outside. If you do this and do not have a set of keys with you, good luck getting back into the MH.

Unlike your scenario I have always been able to unlock the door from the outside with keys.

John & Gloria Hunsaker FROG Member CA-0030-988
2014 Georgetown XL 334QS (class A with 4 slides)
2013 Smart Car TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
Nothing we could do open the door. The dead bolt was lock and there is not an emergency latch you can reach from the inside. The door locked itself. After doing some reading this seems to be problem with Trimark locks. It may be an issue with transportation safety board. Not sure of Forest river position on this issue.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
We had ours lock and we were trapped inside. Called lock smith and we finally had to drill out the entire door handle. Lucky there was a dealer that had an aftermarket one that replaced the old one. The hard part was trying to get the individuals on the other end of the phone to understand that we were locked in. DW went out the Emergency Exit and tried to use the keys but no luck. I have read that several individuals have had this experience.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378XL
2015 Ford Taurus
Our Baby Dachshund
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Thanks for your information. In 20 + years of RVing never had this happen. I cant believe that this is not a real safety issue. I hope Forest River liability insurance is up to date!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
Wow...sounds like something from a horror movie. Glad the situation wasn't worse. We had the opposite problem on our first trip out...the striker bolts shifted and we couldn't get the door to close, let alone lock, without bending the door frame. Had to remove the striker bolts and do without (hope WisDOT will forgive us) for the trip home. I've been locked out of our previous RV just by slamming the door, though...not really impressed with TriMark from my experience.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
2005 Honda Element (toad)
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
widogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
We have a 2012 387 and the same things happened to us! We found that when the coach gets uneven (when traveling or parked) something happens to the doors and they get misaligned enough to make the lock lock itself. Fortunately we have never had to drill out way out but it's been close.
cap2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #8
We had the same problem with our 2015 351DS. The problem for us was the deadbolt separated from the wire that slides it back and forth . . . leaving the deadbolt in the locked position. Through sheer luck, we were able to jiggle the door enough for the deadbolt to slide back into the door. Once we got the door open, the deadbolt fell out onto the ground. The deadbolt is not attached to anything, rather, it has a pit on the side and a stiff wire from the locking mechanism presses into the pit so that when the wire slides, it moved the deadbolt into and out of the locked position. The design is horrible. I notified Forest River . . . They sent me a replacement door latch/lock assembly and I changed out the entire mechanism. Works fine now . . . Hoping not to have a repeat of that experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sinksbsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #9
We has a similar experience with our 2011 Georgetown 327DS but it was a different problem. The keys worked the lock properly but the door wouldn't open even though the deadbolt and spring latch were retracted. We were only 15 minutes from FR's service facility in Elkhart so, after I climbed into the rv through the emergency exit, we drive over to have them try to fix the problem. While at the service facility, I was finally able to get the door opened and discovered that the one of the two alignment bolts (star driver needed to tighten) in the door latch had come loose and was hanging up on the door frame. Both were removed and reinserted with loctite on the threads. No problems since then.

pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Hand the same problem on our 360 DS you have to be extremely careful when opening the door from the inside as what I found happens is you inadvertently bump the latch lock and that puts the door in the lock position and it will close when it's in the lock position. We started paying special attention to that damn lock latch when opening the door from the inside and never have the problem again. After about a year I replaced the standard key lock on the main door with an electronic lock that solve the problem altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Dud360 is offline   Reply With Quote

door, georgetown