Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #1

Smile Door Steps wont retrac

2012 Georgetown 280 Door step will not retrac {battery kill swith OFF}what I have to do in order to retrac step
I will leave batt. kill switch ON close the Screen door steps WILL retrac after that reach in shut down switch close Door & lock.
Entery unlock door & open steps WILL come out.
Any Idea & Help----Thank you
George
2012 Georgetown 280
RED Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Steps are not connected through Coach Battery Disconnect Switch. It is connected to the Step Switch though which I think you have mixed up with the battery disconnect. As long as the step switch is on, it will operate with opening and closing the door. If you turn this switch to off it will stay in the position it's in when the switch is turned off. However should you start the vehicle the steps will close because the ignition causes an over-ride to close the steps. You can place a long magnet on the sensor thats on the frame to close the steps then turn off the step switch for storage and the steps will stay closed.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #3

ya have to do it real fast
I forgot if the stair switch has to be on or off

standing outside:
1 open the door and the stairs come out
2 close the door the stairs retract
3 open the door shut off the battery switch & close the door quickley
after you kill the battery there just enought power to retract the stairs
but you have to do it real quick. got it?
I have a 2007 373 with the same steps, I think.
I hope this helps, Good Luck!
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #4

Thanks for all the Info. My Winnebago Class C steps retracted even I shut down kill switch there must be a way to acomplisch this on this Model.
Thanks Again
George
Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #5

The Lippert steps will not stay in if you open the door (unlike the Kwikee steps you probably had on the Winnie). The only way to keep them closed is to use a magnet as cfsoistman suggested.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #6

Just put a switch in the line which I mounted in the first storage area...turn it off and that kills the steps...stupid set up to say the least..
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #7

Thanks Again to everyone with there feedback Yes i did had the kwikee steps .
I just live with it.
George
P.s. Gary I like your Dog Pict. I,m a German shepard dog fan being German myself.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkatronron View Post
Just put a switch in the line which I mounted in the first storage area...turn it off and that kills the steps...stupid set up to say the least..
I'm sure it has to do with safety vs. convenience. Other than storing the unit for an extended time or trying to get closer to the batteries under steps I can't think of any reason to need a kill switch other than what's already there. Personally once we're at a campsite I turn the switch off with the steps open and it stays that way until we pack up to leave. I'd be concerned that the switch would be turned off and the steps retract when the engine is started, when arriving at the destination the steps would not open once the door is opened due to the switch.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
Lottery Non-Winner

The answer I got from the factory was to run the generator with the stair switch and power switch in the on position, close the door, the stairs retract, walk around and shut off the generator.
However, I find it more convenient for me to not run the generator, close the screen door, the stairs retract, reach in through the handle opening and turn off the power and stair switches, close the main door.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovair View Post
The answer I got from the factory was to run the generator with the stair switch and power switch in the on position, close the door, the stairs retract, walk around and shut off the generator.
However, I find it more convenient for me to not run the generator, close the screen door, the stairs retract, reach in through the handle opening and turn off the power and stair switches, close the main door.
I wonder what the generator has to do with it??? and the switches are still in the ON position?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #11

This works for our Lippert steps when we put the rig into storage.

Batt switch on.....
Door switch on.....
Standing outside on ground put a magnet on door frame step sensor, steps should slide in.....
Reach in and turn step switch off.....
Turn batt switch off.....
Gently close screen and exterior door and lock so as not to knock magnet off.....
Steps stay retracted everytime.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED Baron View Post
Thanks Again to everyone with there feedback Yes i did had the kwikee steps .
I just live with it.
George
P.s. Gary I like your Dog Pict. I,m a German shepard dog fan being German myself.
Based on your username, I wouldn't think you're a beagle fan.
As previously stated, it is likely a safety issue; i.e., Lippert is safe from lawsuits from people falling out of the RV after forgetting that their steps are retracted.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
Lottery Non-Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I wonder what the generator has to do with it??? and the switches are still in the ON position?
Yes, the switches are in the on position (that's the only way the stairs will retract). The stairs on my unit will extend (regardless of the switch position) as soon as you open the door.
I cannot explain why the generator has to be on, but it does have to be on.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Old 02-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #14

Put a flat magnet on the door sensor touching the surrounding metal then open the door and jump out , the step will stay in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	10312  
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #15

Thanks again for all the feedback i got with my door step,s not retracting after i close the entrance door.
I will keep the kill switch ON close the Screen door , steps WILL retract after that i will reach thru the screen door opning shut off switch flip down red lock lever close door.{ little backwards but what can you do}.
George
Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
[QUOTE=RED Baron;160312]Thanks again for all the feedback i got with my door step,s not retracting after i close the entrance door.
I will keep the kill switch ON close the Screen door , steps WILL retract after that i will reach thru the screen door opning shut off switch flip down red lock lever close door.{ little backwards but what can you do}.
George[/QUOTE)

I installed a toggle switch in the hot line going to the control for the steps. I drilled a hole in the side panel by the steps and put the switch there. Now I just flip the switch whenI get the steps where I want them.
I can also turn on the ignition switch and start the engine and the steps won't move unless I flip the switch back on. It's pretty handy to have and only cost about $3.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypal View Post
Put a flat magnet on the door sensor touching the surrounding metal then open the door and jump out , the step will stay in.
Why "jump" out. See my post above. I know that, with my knees, jumping out would hobble me for three days!

Chuck
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Old 02-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
Anacortesians

The steps on our '02 GT325 took some figuring out, but now I understand the system. The rocker switch alongside the stairs, at the base of the kitchen cabinet turns the steps' power off and leaves the steps in whatever position they were in when you switched it. I use that to keep the steps out when we're docked. They will retract again if you rock the switch the other way and close the screen door.

They retract when you turn the ignition on no matter what position the switch is in, but if it's still in the off position, next time the ignition is off and you open the door, they won't extend.

I would think that design is common, but it wasn't easy to figure out. There's no description of it in any of the documentation we got on the rig or the steps. We actually have owner manuals on two different brands of steps!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
Lottery Non-Winner

F & E, the steps on our rig are not like yours. Our steps open anytime the door is open (regardless of switch position, and regardless of engine status). When camping we can turn the switch off, but all that does is leave them extended. It's a trick to get our steps to stay retracted. The dealer couldn't even figure it out. They contacted the factory which provided the procedure I posted earlier. Different setup, different procedures.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Old 02-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovair View Post
F & E, the steps on our rig are not like yours. Our steps open anytime the door is open (regardless of switch position, and regardless of engine status). When camping we can turn the switch off, but all that does is leave them extended. It's a trick to get our steps to stay retracted. The dealer couldn't even figure it out. They contacted the factory which provided the procedure I posted earlier. Different setup, different procedures.
If they are Lippert's read my solution above. Work's to perfection! Hate to say it, but, not sure the factory has a handle on this!!!!!!

Chuck
Max E. Dog, the new pup