Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #1

Driver/Pass seat foundation bolts G/T M/H

A few months back I temp jacked up the driver seat because of leaning. It stopped the lean and the looseness also.

The looseness came back a few months later, so I decided to check.
Looking at picture 2 you can see the two canter bolts have been removed and the two outside bolts are loosened. There is a 1/6"-1/8" depression in all four mounting holes where the washer has dug into the foundation. Here's where the problem is as I reported earlier the floor is constructed of soft 5/8" glued flake-board followed by inches of Styrofoam insulation. The bottom sheath is 1/8" luan (like thin paneling) and topped with a thin layer of Fiberglas. Thats why the bolts continue to loosen and will for the future.

To fix it on the inboard side at the top I added a 3/16" measured shim under the seat foundation, this leveled the chair. Outside I fabricated 1/4" shim in a similar shape to spread the load of the bolts and washers. To aid the effort I used a 1/2" x 2" washer followed by the original 1/2" x 1 3/16 washer then a lock washer and a standard nut. The original was a nylok or self locking nut. Difficult to use be the bolt is a 1/2" carriage bolt in a drilled hole. Does not work very well.

The idea is to spread the bolt head load out on that thin luan surface, there is noting behind it for a couple of inches above or around it.

When I get the outside bolts changes I apply an asphalt paint to prevent rusting and water leakage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat inside.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	20289   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat 1.5.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	20290   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	20291  
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

My driver's seat and passenger seat have stayed secured so far, but I definitely see what you're referring to. I removed our barrel chair and noticed the same thing, but didn't think much about it simce we were replacing it with a Euro-Recliner. At least FR should have used a 1/2" Fender Washer instead of just a standard 1/2" washer. I have a couple pieces of 1-1/2" aluminum square stock tube that I plan to cut in half and make U Channels. I'll add them to each area over 2 bolts and hope that will keep any future issues. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote