Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #1

Drivers seat going bad

My seats are going bad. I know others are having this problem and wondered what others are doing? Mine is a 2012 but it has been in service for just over four years. I wondered about going to upholstery shop and have them redone. Thanks !!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #2

That's a good question .. we have a 2012 also the arm rest need to be recovered. There is an opening with velcro on the inside. How do they come off
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

Mine are trashed 2012 378 with 7000 miles. Dealing with Dr will not call me back. Really disappointed. Here are mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1439857473582.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	85981   Click image for larger version

Name:	1439857498697.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	85982   Click image for larger version

Name:	1439857509884.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	85983  
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #4

Sorry dealing with FR they said they Stand behind there product well see?
Old 08-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #5

Mine look just like yours!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:58 AM   #6

I'm not surprised and fr said they never heard of that before. Should be a recall!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #7

our seats fell apart as well! Our Lexington was still under warranty. Forest River offered slip on seat covers. We insisted they recover the seats. After much discussion, They finally sent new seat covers and told us which upholsterer to take the motorhome to. We've been happy with the replacement covers.
grandmapaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #8

My Chevrolet seats are showing wear and a hole in one... mine is a 2015 with 10k miles. Is this a Forest River issue or a Chevy issue? JH
micpib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

I had a Thor product that looked the same way. The seat covers are prolly all made at the same place for the entire industry. Have a FR now and so far, so good.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #10

FR replaced mine at about 2 yo
briaanj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #11

We just visited Elkhart 4 weeks ago and meet with Travis in warranty. We are not the first owner so he can't cover it. He SAID he would try and work a deal for us with the mfg. Many follow up emails form me and no response from FR.

Suggestions? Do I really need to buy all new seats.......errrr
paperbbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #12
Steelhorzz

I also have a 2012 360 and the seats look like they are out of a 70 Olds that's been sitting in a field for years. I've used cleaner and conditioner on them from day one and always take care of them after a trip. But as the pics shown by others the "leatherette" is just flaking off the backing material. Bottom line, cheap quality! I'm out of the factory warranty and the dealer isn't standing behind it, and the extended warranty doesn't cover it either. Soooo when it gets real bad.... soon..I think, I'm taking it to a local upholstery shop and having them recovered. I've seen his work in a car I restored, and another RV he was doing at the time. Nice work! Too bad for the price we pay for our rigs, we can't get decent quality!
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #13

I agree, yep they don't respond to you. Maybe a lawyer might help. One I got spend 4 or 5,000.00 to replace! I'm beside myself.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #14

I have had worn out seats in my Chevy Trucks with Leather interiors several times. They are Not the highest quality leather but like everything else they are repairable. First of all undertand that i don't think too many people will be lucky enough to have their seats replaced under warranty? But if you want to get them replaced look in the yellow pages on the Internet. Also, most leather interiors are made just like your home furniture and really only have leather on the seat parts that your body touches... The rest of the seat is vinyl.
I suggest you go to YP.com - Yellow Pages, the new yellowpages.com and search for "katskin seat covers" "near zip code xxxxxxx". Since Katskin (like cat-skin) is one of the biggest high quality seat cover manufacturers you will get darn near every seat cover replacement shop in your area. Go visit a few. The list will typically even give you boat upholstery places and custom seat cover places. Every hot rodder knows that if you want black bucket seats with red stitching and your name in white script on the headrest there is a place that can do it if you have $$$$. As an example, in Dallas, TX I have had my 2000 Chevy Silverado 2 front bucket seats have new factory style Katzkin leather seat covers installed. The shop removes the seats, removes and trashes the old covers, and then puts on the new covers and puts the seats back in. Depending on the deal of the day this costs about $1100-1200 bucks for the 2 front buckets seats.
If you want to get other options like custom seats, or cloth, or even custom leather a seat shop or boat interior shop can give you an estimate. Some places can even make your covers by using the old fabric/leather as a pattern/template. Just choose your shop wisely.... Good luck.
dually75019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to carluv
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperbbill View Post
We just visited Elkhart 4 weeks ago and meet with Travis in warranty. We are not the first owner so he can't cover it. He SAID he would try and work a deal for us with the mfg. Many follow up emails form me and no response from FR.

Suggestions? Do I really need to buy all new seats.......errrr
FR won't do anything for you if you are not the original owner. They won't cover poor workmanship.
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #16

Dont want to get a brand war going here but the seats in our 2000 superduty look like new with 199000 miles.The wifes 04 grand cherokee, the same witn 144000 miles.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #17

Drivers Seat Going Bad

We had the same problems in our 2008 Berkshire. The fabric started to deteriorate in 2012 (after warranty). We just spent over $3,200 to have 2 sofas and 2 captains chair recovered with a sturdy fabric instead of the crappy faux leather. We were afraid to order new furniture made by Flexsteel because we didn't want the same thing to happen again . . . very disappointing.
Kim Berkshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #18

I have a 2007 George town 350 that the seats were like that when i bought it. I called Williamsburg furniture company thats who made the seats and they sold me the seat skins and i had them put on. It was alot cheaper then to reupholster . But it is the same material. Look under seat for manufacturer tag it will tell you all the info. I did it 2 years ago and so far they still look good.
DonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #19

I had mine replaced by myself by purchasing from FR the new seat upholstery. What i noticed that having the RV locked up in the heat takes a toll on the interior components. I also had to replace the sofabed. Which I purchased from FR only the outside shell of the sofabed and the bottom cushion covers and swapped the folding bed structure to the new sofa shell. Now what I'm doing is leaving the front air conditioner on at 84 degrees during the summer months.
tonytiza is offline   Reply With Quote