Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 10:31 PM   #1

Drivers seat ... reposition reward

Wonder if anyone has done this. We have a new to us 2008 Georgetown 373 and want to move the drivers seat further back from the wheel. The person I purchased the MH from was shorter ... I'm 6'2" and have the seat all the way back and would like to go back further (perhaps an inch or two) but can't. I've looked underneath and was hoping there were different bolt holes that the seat was bolted to and just move back a couple of slots and rebolt. Nope, nothing adjustable. I have about 6 inches before the chair would hit the slide, so wish there was a way to make it more comfortable for me to drive. Any suggestions?
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:10 PM   #2

I believe it was on this forum, I saw a thread where a guy took his seat stand to a welding shop, they cut the post, welded two plates on allowing the seat to move back four inches or so. A good fabrication shop can handle that fairly easily.

Would be a good opportunity to shorten in a few inches too.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #3

Thanks. What would I look for to find a fabrication shop? Not sure what I'm looking for but believe I could take the seat off the post and have something made that will allow the seat to sit further back, then would be able to adjust forward for my best position.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #4

Look for businesses that do auto rebuilding. OR, visit any classic car show and ask owners who can do this for you. I think this a small job and larger shops may not be interested. Call companies like American Restoration and you will find a place. A SEAT POST mod on any vehicle better be done correctly or you may not be around long and take others out on your way!! Just say'n! Welds do fail. Expect to sign a release of responsibility. And depending on your state, may require full disclosure on resale.
40 years in the auto bz and I would not knowingly buy a car with a modification that can impact my ability to control the vehicle.
This is how lawsuits are born!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
Thanks. What would I look for to find a fabrication shop? Not sure what I'm looking for but believe I could take the seat off the post and have something made that will allow the seat to sit further back, then would be able to adjust forward for my best position.
You'll have to do some research, but I'd start by looking for certified welders, if you can find a shop nearby that does welding and fab work for race cars that would be the best I think, that type of fab work is what they do.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:11 AM   #6

Wonder if you can just unbolt the seat from the floor and using the back 2 holes now become the front holes and just drill 2 more holes for the rear bolts. Look up from the drivers front tire and you should see the 4 bolts that hold the seat in place, looks like 3/4 bolts with nylock nuts. Just a thought and then use a silicone to plug the first holes.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
Wonder if you can just unbolt the seat from the floor and using the back 2 holes now become the front holes and just drill 2 more holes for the rear bolts. Look up from the drivers front tire and you should see the 4 bolts that hold the seat in place, looks like 3/4 bolts with nylock nuts. Just a thought and then use a silicone to plug the first holes.

If it's that simple I would also add some reinforcement plats of some kind to the bottom, couldn't hurt.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
I used this exact method to modify the passenger side captains seat to a swivel base in my high top Ford van. Wanted more foot room to swing. Just use some big heavy washers to reinforce the floor pan. You can always return the seat to its original position later if you wish. Plug the old holes using the old bolts. Buy two new bolts for the new location. Get the proper strength bolts from NAPA or similar parts store.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
Wonder if anyone has done this. We have a new to us 2008 Georgetown 373 and want to move the drivers seat further back from the wheel. The person I purchased the MH from was shorter ... I'm 6'2" and have the seat all the way back and would like to go back further (perhaps an inch or two) but can't. I've looked underneath and was hoping there were different bolt holes that the seat was bolted to and just move back a couple of slots and rebolt. Nope, nothing adjustable. I have about 6 inches before the chair would hit the slide, so wish there was a way to make it more comfortable for me to drive. Any suggestions?
Ignore the item name. Would these brackets work? Would not cost much to find out. Cheaper than a custom shop.

Flat Adapter Bars Class C to A, Glastop Inc.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #10

I don't know how close to the seat your slide is, but if I went back one more inch than the current max, I'd hit the slide.

I'm 6'-1", and am fine with my seat one click up from the rearmost position.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #11

Thanks all for the ideas. Silver ... I think the brackets could work .. thanks for the link. I also was able to find a place called Iron Works today that could make me something once I decide which way to go. I can probably set my seat back at least 4 inches before it would hit the slide wall which will be too much, but at least I can than move the seat forward. BTW .. the Iron Works shop is making me a rear light bar that I can bolt into the bumper hitch hole on my pickup. They were real reasonable in price ($37).
Old 02-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #12

Geez ,,, just realized I spelled rearward incorrectly. Glad you all understood anyway!