Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #1

Driving and Chair Fatigue

So this is kind of simple. When you guys are out on an extended trip, do you do anything to help with the support on your captains chair? I like the comfort and support of our chair but I get a really deep pinched nerve in my right shoulder. I was looking for some solutions besides drugs. Thank you and we’re getting ready to head out on an adventure. Thanks
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #2

Does your seat have arms? I get shoulder problems when I use the arms for about two hours or more.
aaronie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #3

Alcohol as soon a arrive at your your nightly campground site.
Cold beer in at least a 22 to 32 oz glass.

Or
Let your wife drive.
Your choice.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #4

X2 Iggy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lanny7436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:00 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronie View Post
Does your seat have arms? I get shoulder problems when I use the arms for about two hours or more.
I have some pain when I put my elbow up on the window of my truck. Similar reason, I’d bet.

As well, my wife has trouble when we drive. She uses a coccyx (coxis) pillow to sit on and puts a lumbar pillow behind her. When I drove to Indiana, overnight, and straight back (10-12 hours each way), I used it. It was a little annoying but it seemed to really help discomfort.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
So this is kind of simple. When you guys are out on an extended trip, do you do anything to help with the support on your captains chair? I like the comfort and support of our chair but I get a really deep pinched nerve in my right shoulder. I was looking for some solutions besides drugs. Thank you and we’re getting ready to head out on an adventure. Thanks

It does have arms and I use them, I’ll reconsider how I use them, thank you.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I have some pain when I put my elbow up on the window of my truck. Similar reason, I’d bet.

As well, my wife has trouble when we drive. She uses a coccyx (coxis) pillow to sit on and puts a lumbar pillow behind her. When I drove to Indiana, overnight, and straight back (10-12 hours each way), I used it. It was a little annoying but it seemed to really help discomfort.

I thought I would look into some additional support pillow also. Thanks
Old 07-03-2018, 06:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Alcohol as soon a arrive at your your nightly campground site.
Cold beer in at least a 22 to 32 oz glass.

Or
Let your wife drive.
Your choice.

Well I’m the sole driver and I don’t drink but I could start after this trip. Thank you.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:27 AM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Maybe my years of driving a bigger vehicle helps.

I’m as relaxed driving the Georgetown as my daily vehicle. I find the seats are as comfortable as anything else I’ve driven....and I spent a lot of hours driving School Buses.....those are uncomfortable seats I tell ya.

I do have the wooden beaded seat topper on mine to help with ventilation on the “pleather” of the Georgetown so I don’t sweat. Also, and I think it’s key, a relaxed but controlled grip on the wheel. Maybe you’re a little tense.....more than your other vehicles, and this is causing your discomfort?

Just sayin’

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #10
Steelhorzz

Quote:
Even though I do like some of the other responses,
(Drinking a beer), I prefer bourbon after a long day driving and setting up camp.

But In all practicality, have you been checked out and tried physical therapy?

I too had a pinched nerve in my shoulder, (Killer), and 4 treatments with a physical therapist "adjusted" my "whatever" was out of alignment, and pain was gone!

Good luck!!
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorzz View Post

(Drinking a beer), I prefer bourbon after a long day driving and setting up camp.

I too had a pinched nerve in my shoulder, (Killer), and 4 treatments with a physical therapist "adjusted" my "whatever" was out of alignment, and pain was gone!

Good luck!!

Wow I never thought about PT. Great idea, I’ll check into it.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #12

After many motorcycle crashes, my 75 year old body can only stand about 3 hours of driving without a serious break. I also find my eyes getting tired when day driving.
My simple solution is to pull off the road at rest stops and shopping malls and take a 30 minute break laying back-down on the bed. Very refreshing. A large electric heating pad under me is a help also.

Also taking Tylenol or Advil during a long drive helps.

On multi-day trips, I soak in a bathtub or hot shower for 15 minutes before going to bed. Helps me to sleep a lot better, and extends the amount of time before the pain sets in next day.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorzz View Post

Good luck!!
Bourbon’s best... beer puts me to sleep. Ibuprofen after breakfast when I start a long drive is my preventative maintenance ...😎
Working hard on “elderhood”
RKBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #14

My Chiropractor told me to take that fat wallet out of your pocket when sitting, especially when driving long periods.
It did help.
But getting old still has it's ache problems from sitting too long!
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #15
Multi-Slacker

When driving, consciously relax your grip on the steering wheel. Most folks do not realize high tightly they are grabbing that wheel. You can also do mini elbow lifts on the chair arms as well as shifting your weight from buttock to buttock. Best is to get out of the vehicle about every 2 hours and do some stretches and walk around
Old 07-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #16

On really long trips I sometimes use a Gel Cushion similar to this one.
It just firms up the drivers seat a bit instead of falling into the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Memory-Foam-and-Gel-Pad-Orthopedic-Gel-Cushion-Seat-for-Car-Driver-Seat-or-Office-Chair_jpg_640x.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	178207  
Old 07-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
When driving, consciously relax your grip on the steering wheel. Most folks do not realize high tightly they are grabbing that wheel. You can also do mini elbow lifts on the chair arms as well as shifting your weight from buttock to buttock. Best is to get out of the vehicle about every 2 hours and do some stretches and walk around
X2 Relax but that comes with more driving experience and confidence you get as you drive your tank.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Put pillows under each elbow. You’ll have to experiment with size. This will take the weight of your arms off your shoulders and upper back. Most people think adjusting their seat all the way back makes for more space, more comfort but if you move your seat up/back throughout your drive to periodically change reach, it will relax and work
different muscle and bone groups. Also as you drive purposely pull your chin in to straighten your neck. Even go so far as to pulling your chin in and pressing your head into your seat’s headrest. Hold that pull for a bit, release and repeat. Another thing you can do is put 3-4 tennis balls in a tube sock and knot the sock so balls are lined up one in front of the other. This ball tube can be used as an acupressure device between the seat and your back and even your thighs. It is easy to move around to different places such as just below shoulder blade, vertically up/down spine, above coccyx, horizontal at the small of the back, even pressed between your seat back and neck while you’re doing that chin pulling in. Press into the balls. Hurts a little at first but think of it as good pain. Enjoy your travels! When you get to your site, before you even set up, take 5 minutes to lay flat out on your picnic table and stretch with your arms up alongside your head and straighten out your back and legs. Happy camping!!
CYAH OUT THERE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMMILLER55 View Post
Put pillows under each elbow. You’ll have to experiment with size. This will take the weight of your arms off your shoulders and upper back. Most people think adjusting their seat all the way back makes for more space, more comfort but if you move your seat up/back throughout your drive to periodically change reach, it will relax and work

different muscle and bone groups. Also as you drive purposely pull your chin in to straighten your neck. Even go so far as to pulling your chin in and pressing your head into your seat’s headrest. Hold that pull for a bit, release and repeat. Another thing you can do is put 3-4 tennis balls in a tube sock and knot the sock so balls are lined up one in front of the other. This ball tube can be used as an acupressure device between the seat and your back and even your thighs. It is easy to move around to different places such as just below shoulder blade, vertically up/down spine, above coccyx, horizontal at the small of the back, even pressed between your seat back and neck while you’re doing that chin pulling in. Press into the balls. Hurts a little at first but think of it as good pain. Enjoy your travels! When you get to your site, before you even set up, take 5 minutes to lay flat out on your picnic table and stretch with your arms up alongside your head and straighten out your back and legs. Happy camping!!

I'm
Wow, I am on this. Thank you for your expertise. I'll give you an update. What a blessing.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:19 AM   #20

I tell you what everybody you're the best. What a blessing. Thank you for your concerns and taking the time for sharing your thoughts, this means everything. These gifts bless my life and will make my family much happier so I am not complaining so much. Happy adventures.