Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #1

Dry Camp Black and gray fill up quick.

Hello again, on our first dry camp trip and love our new(to us) 2008 forest river georgetown 370 and our gray and black tanks filled up quick. since we have 2 bathrooms I thought we had 2 black and 2 gray tanks. The front black and gray both read 3/4 full each after medium use in 2 days. I have 2 teenage boys (my son and his friend) and I'm suspecting heavy flushing. I searched and thought that I had 4 tanks all together but all specs on line say 1 80 gallon black and 1 80 gallon grey which doesn't sound right as my back bathroom has a full black and empty gray. Could someone point me to the correct specs?

Thanks
e

Old 07-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #2

This might not be the right answer but since you have boys with you and if possible tell them to go outside if they're going number one of course. As for gray tanks those can be tough. I always boondock camp never in camp grounds so I usually just drain my gray while I'm camping or use it to put camp fire out also.

2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You most likely have 4 tanks...2 gray, 2 black all at 40 gal each. In the camper's specs, they usually list total capacity.

If your relying on the tank level monitors, they're very inaccurate especially on the black tank...that'd be hard to believe to be that full in 2 days. We normally get at least 10 days before the black tank is full and it's 38 gal and I start with 5 gal of water with detergent and water softener in the tank.

If you're taking showers in the camper, you'll need to learn about water conservation as you'll empty the FW tank and fill the gray tank fast.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #4

Thank you guys, we are still learning about conservation, we are pretty good, but it will take us a little more time to get it dialed in just right. I'll test it tomorrow since we are only 2 hours from home and 7 miles from a dump station so it should not be too risky.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #5

First time out with our current trailer as we left the grounds and pulled through I was really happy that it had a black tank flush and made sure all was empty, flushed and rechecked. When we got home and I checked the tank monitors imagine my amazement that the black tank was still a quarter full. Not believing I could have made that big of error I put a bucket under the discharge, pulled the valve and found that there was indeed some residual in the black tank, about 3 gallons. I emptied the bucket into the house toilet and chalked the experience up to having new unreliable technology on our newer trailer.
Net, we have an injector hose to flush the tank, we have monitors that are marginally reliable.
I bet the high level indicator is more reliable since it probably has less contact and therefore less residue.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #6

I've learned the hard way that your rig needs to be level when you dump your tanks. If you are on a slope, stuff stays in gray or black tanks and you have less capacity than you should. So if you just pull up to any old dump station, check a level in your fridge so you know if you aren't level and really aren't emptying ALL of the tanks.

Used my sewer access at the home to dump my tanks. Didn't bother to level the rig in the slightly sloping driveway. Went camping and one day into it the shower was backing up with gray water. Scratch head, think about causes, look in mirror at the big dummy. Finally figured it out. I love those ah ha moments. Especially when the wife doesn't catch me first.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #7

I also suggest boys or men use the "natural outdoors" toilet when the setting permits. Urine is actually very clean. Ditto on dumping the grey tank where allowed, some campgrounds do not like that. Soap and water with a little body oil and dirt mixed in is not going to harm anything.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
You most likely have 4 tanks...2 gray, 2 black all at 40 gal each. In the camper's specs, they usually list total capacity.

If your relying on the tank level monitors, they're very inaccurate especially on the black tank...that'd be hard to believe to be that full in 2 days. We normally get at least 10 days before the black tank is full and it's 38 gal and I start with 5 gal of water with detergent and water softener in the tank.

If you're taking showers in the camper, you'll need to learn about water conservation as you'll empty the FW tank and fill the gray tank fast.

Dave
10 DAYS!!! I gotta show this to DW. We run out of black tank capacity at about 3 to 3 1/2 days. Of course, I don't really trust those goofy lights ..... My coach has been in storage for 2 1/2 months and the tanks both show 1/3 full and the coach was level when I dumped them.

I wish I could access the tanks easily and install some better monitors but they seem coated with foam stuff...

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #9

Thank you all for your great responses and tips. I agree with you that I must have 4 tanks and it appears as I experienced the leveling issue as well!!! When I went to leave I noticed that the right side of the MH was down slightly and the bathroom door in the back swings shut by itself when I made sure it was perfectly still when I first leveled the MH and my leveling jacks are still down. When I went to dump the tanks at the gas station near my house I noticed that the front gray and black took longer to empty compared to the back black and grey even though the black showed full. It appears that my entire LSI leveling system is going bad as this is the second time I noticed that when I level the MH it appears that it looses pressure in the front and right side and is no longer leveled the next day. To add to that to my horror this morning as I went out to move the MH back to storage I was shocked to see that one of my slides was completely outs. Luckily on the passenger side and over the sidewalk, and the darn thing would slide out every time I slide it in. I finally got it to close when I slide all slide outs out and back in and turned off the MH power switch. I was so nervous about driving it, I cut a few 2x2's pieces of wood to size and made slide out bars to secure it in place, did not move an inch. after that. So the first call was to Kevin my RV repair guy and luckily he has me on the list this week to see what in the world is going on with that LSI system as I'm starting to not trust it.