Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #1

Dumb question

We have bought our first ever Motor Home, a Georgetown 360D. We absoultely love it but here is the dumb question. There is no spare tire, is it that they don't come with a spare? or was that something extra. Those are some mighty big tires and this very old GI is not going to be able to change one even if I had one. I have Good Sam platinum and Rte 66 for coach warranty. What else do I need?
tetsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
RV Newbie

Are you sure it isn't under the rear end. My Lexington has a spare underneath just inside the rear bumper. Not sure I'd try to change it though, I'd call AAA and have them do it.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #3

A friend of mine bought an RV, it came with a spare tire, with no wheel! Dealer told him its a weight thing and if you get road service they have the tools to mount the tire. I would get the tire on a wheel and carry a bit less cargo
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #4

I was told that must RV manufacters do not supply a spare tire for the A class because of the liability issues. They said do many people were being hurt or killed in some cases trying to change their flat tires.
Personally I don't really know if this is true are not. But I do know at my age, I sure wouldn't want to change the tire on my A class.

Chris
lottabull54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #5

I requested a spare for the 350TS we have on order and was informed that is not available as an option.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #6

You may have a free year of Coach Net with the coach. They will provide roadside service for a tire change or a tow to a tire shop. I have used them once with my C previously and was very happy with their service.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #7

I have a 378ST and it didn't come with a spare tire and even if it did I wouldn't change it. I also have a 7 year service plan with RT.66 and all you have to do is when you contact them is to tell them you have no spare and give them the size and make of your tires and they will bring one out to you. Yes you're going to pay for it but you would have paid anyway when you bought your coach. So relax, put your feet up for awhile and let them do their job of getting you back on the road safely.
Joe
2008 Georgetown XL 378ST
Tow a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
And getting ready to go south for the winter..
JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Anacortesians

The big problem with no spare on the bigger rigs is the availability of replacement tires. My signature rig came with a complete spare wheel, mounted underneath the LPG comparment. It's one of the original 2001 Goodyears, so I'm not planning to go very far or very fast if I have to have it installed. I just hope there's a Les Schwab store within reach if I do have a flat, as they cover all road hazards for free when you buy their tires.

At 69, I'm not going to start horsing one of those things around, but if I get a flat way our in the boonies somewhere, all the road service provider needs is a big enough torque wrench and a big enough jack.

There are many posts on iRV2 and RV.net from people who were stranded in some small town for two or three days waitning for a replacement tire to arrive.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:32 AM   #9

No Spare

Most class A coaches do not come with a spare. Ford chassis have aluminum wheels but the rear inside wheels are steel. The Georgetown I think from 2005 up to 2009 have a compartment in the rear for a spare tire, it is enclosed and keeps the spare out of the sun. I purchased a tire so if I get a flat that is non repairable I have the new tire and don't have to accept a temp replacement if a matching tire is unavailable. I did this because I went cross country several times, however I never got a flat.
370xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #10

It was an option for the tire only in the older style 2 piece windshield Georgetowns. 2008 and part of the changeover 2009 units that had rear doors and area to store the tire. we did take that option, but will call emergancy road service to change it. It will have to be mounted on the flat tire wheel. The reason for the purchase was our desire to have a tire that matched the others, not what the tire changer had on his truck

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #11

I am just curious, Does this lack of spare tire applies to ALL brands of Motorhomes or just Forest River ones ? I definitely see the reasoning.

I can barely replace the tires in my F150, I would NOT touch a coach's tire for sure !
Old 11-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsurvivor View Post
We have bought our first ever Motor Home, a Georgetown 360D. We absoultely love it but here is the dumb question. There is no spare tire, is it that they don't come with a spare? or was that something extra. Those are some mighty big tires and this very old GI is not going to be able to change one even if I had one. I have Good Sam platinum and Rte 66 for coach warranty. What else do I need?
if im decoding your screen name correctly then i must add
been there done that and thankyou for your service
brianj
rvn apr 67-nov 68
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote