Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #1

During trip questions

Okay... we're about 2/3's of the way to our destination; sitting in Nashville right now. We were driving down the road and the kitchen linoleum was bulging up while driving. Is this normal?? The kids were laughing at it and the DW is getting more and more pissed about the things that we're finding.

Secondly, we were heating something up in the microwave. My DW took it out to check on the temp. She put it back in to give it more time to heat up... however, the power to it was dead. No biggie! It MUST be a fuse blown. So I go to the breaker box under the bed and everything appears normal. For good measure, I flip it off and on again. Nothing. Then I kill the main breaker and flip everything back on. Nothing. So, just as my DW is cussing about the quality of this rig, it mysteriously turns back on. Can anyone think of any good reasons for this one?

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMSNT View Post
Okay... we're about 2/3's of the way to our destination; sitting in Nashville right now. We were driving down the road and the kitchen linoleum was bulging up while driving. Is this normal?? The kids were laughing at it and the DW is getting more and more pissed about the things that we're finding.

Secondly, we were heating something up in the microwave. My DW took it out to check on the temp. She put it back in to give it more time to heat up... however, the power to it was dead. No biggie! It MUST be a fuse blown. So I go to the breaker box under the bed and everything appears normal. For good measure, I flip it off and on again. Nothing. Then I kill the main breaker and flip everything back on. Nothing. So, just as my DW is cussing about the quality of this rig, it mysteriously turns back on. Can anyone think of any good reasons for this one?
You've tripped the gfci for the microwave.
There should be a reset at your kitchen outlet .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Ours did that Forest. River replaced it when we stopped in at Elkhart.
The new one has been fine.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #4

Thanks... I have two outlets in the kitchen denoted as GFCI however none of them have that "Test/Reset" button like home ones. The outlet that the microwave is plugged into is a single outlet in the back of the overhead cabinet. I don't see anywhere to "reset it". Although, my DW always tells me that when I'm looking for something I might as well be blind cause it's right in front of my face! :-)

Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #5

Thanks Falcon... it's back on now but I'm just worried about it shutting off for good and not coming back on. :-( How does it work in Elkhart? Do you need to make an appointment or do you just swing in?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks... I have two outlets in the kitchen denoted as GFCI however none of them have that "Test/Reset" button like home ones. The outlet that the microwave is plugged into is a single outlet in the back of the overhead cabinet. I don't see anywhere to "reset it". Although, my DW always tells me that when I'm looking for something I might as well be blind cause it's right in front of my face! :-)
Gfci is probably in bathroom.
Or under overhead kitchen sink cabinets.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #7

I tested the bathroom GFCI (i.e. tripped it) and the microwave stayed on. Under the overhead sink cabinets is an outlet however it doesn't have the trip switch. Let's say that it was a GFCI trip, how did it reset itself? :-) Those things need to be manually switched back.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I tested the bathroom GFCI (i.e. tripped it) and the microwave stayed on. Under the overhead sink cabinets is an outlet however it doesn't have the trip switch. Let's say that it was a GFCI trip, how did it reset itself? :-) Those things need to be manually switched back.
You know its very possible the microwave isn't on a gfci circuit.
The breaker in the distribution panel may be it.

Your microwave may be going wonky.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Thanks Falcon... it's back on now but I'm just worried about it shutting off for good and not coming back on. :-( How does it work in Elkhart? Do you need to make an appointment or do you just swing in?
We had a number of things that needed to be fixed and we were coming back from TX to ON. I called John Armstrong who was in charge of Georgetown warranty at that time and made an appointment. That is now looked after by Steve but I don't have his contact information with me as I'M not at home. I'm sure someone will chime in with that information. If not send me a message on next Monday and I'll send it to you. I had sent them a list of things I needed done and when got there I told them I thought we had a bad outlet they checked and when it was okay they replaced the microwave.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
NELA

Quote:
What was the timer set on? I know my home microwave will do that if I try to bake potatoes in it......more than 10 minutes, etc.

It seems to overheat. Gotta let it sit and cool down, then it'll work again.

Add;

My home microwave will do that even sooner than 10 minutes if I use earthenware...like pottery, etc.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
MI Camperz

Oh Snap! It's a Georgetown! Hope it works out getting the rig up to par and find fun in your trip in the meantime! I'm sure it will work out.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
Site Team

I don't have a MH but did have problems with my microwave working.
Turns out it was user error....I didn't have the door closed completely at the top of the oven and didn't notice because of the black color background.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #13

So far...it hasn't gone off since. We shall see...

On the second part question, do your floors 'blow up with air' when driving down the road??

Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #14

Not sure on the bulging flooring. My microwave went dead our last trip and then after awhile came back on. I put a cup of water in it to check if it was working and seemed fine. I would be interested to know if anyone else had that problem.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #15

jUSt had the microwave issue this week. I was trying to get my potatoes done cause the oven wasn't baking fast enough. I'm thinking there must be some kind of thermal switch in there that just shuts it down until it cools down. Mine was really hot when it shut down.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
I'm thinking there must be some kind of thermal switch in there that just shuts it down until it cools down.
That's exactly what I told my wife when it happened. I didn't check on the heat part but it was the only way I could account for it turning back on.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #17

We had the same problem with our microwave when our tt was only a couple of months old. Checked all fuses and then DH said just let it cool down,it was very hot. Tried again later and worked fine it has been 3 years and never had another problem.
maconandk is offline   Reply With Quote